Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Cyn your life actually sounded a bit exciting. I would love to go see a horse farm. Course I could just walk across the street for that. Even though I live in the city there are horses and goats pigs and all sorts of critters around. Hoping you gain energy by tonight.

Ellwood Praying for your hubby and family. such hard times.

After an amazing day of gorgeous weather yesterday I woke to rain this morning. I am a little bit shocked but happy for it because I was going to have to start watering the lawns again. So far not much rain but the day is young. Could still get more. I am so glad I finished as much as I did out in the yard yesterday. Even put in another bottle tree for neighborly view blockage. I still need more bottles. I do need to cover the tree branches I trimmed and were letting dry a little bit before I run then through the chipper. I can just pull the cart into the carport patio. There is room.

HA I do need to paint my house, not this year but for sure next. I was thinking painting the front porch ceiling Haint blue. Only which one. I am not a huge fan of blue but there are so many haint blues to choose from. Then paint the rest of the house white with black trim. Joe and I always admired a house in Weiser that was painted white with black trim. I need to see about scaffolding. If any one around has some to rent or if there is a homeowners version available to purchase that would not cost an arm and a leg. I know I am thinking way out there in advance of available finances but I feel if I have a plan I will be able to get it done when the time comes.

Ellwood......I am also saying a prayer for your husband. (and for you and the whole family).

I had to look up "haint blue" I have seen porch ceilings painted that shade of blue but had never seen it called that. (for those who havent heard of it either.....in folk lore a "haint" is a spirit that haunts a place.
There is a line in an Appalachian folk song......that says "a haint can't haint a haint" or one ghost can't haunt another.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:34 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Prayers being said for you and yours Ellwood....I am so sorry!

Old 06-15-2017, 01:22 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,926,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Ellwood......I am also saying a prayer for your husband. (and for you and the whole family).

I had to look up "haint blue" I have seen porch ceilings painted that shade of blue but had never seen it called that. (for those who havent heard of it either.....in folk lore a "haint" is a spirit that haunts a place.
There is a line in an Appalachian folk song......that says "a haint can't haint a haint" or one ghost can't haunt another.
Yep elston. I thought I would have some fun with it. The neighbors already suspect I am a bit cray cray so might as well add to their suspicions. LOL I am so bad. Course around here I doubt any one would even know the reasoning behind the blue ceiling. It woud not be all that visible from the road.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Yep elston. I thought I would have some fun with it. The neighbors already suspect I am a bit cray cray so might as well add to their suspicions. LOL I am so bad. Course around here I doubt any one would even know the reasoning behind the blue ceiling. It woud not be all that visible from the road.
I remember sitting in a porch swing in New England and looking up at a pale blue ceiling....I thought it was just to resemble the sky. I didn't know it was "haint blue" with a Gullah folk origin. I am sure that the people who painted it didn't either. In my note above I didnt explain their was a belief that a ghost or haint couldnt cross water....so porches and entryways were painted blue to protect the home.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:05 PM

I would love to back out of this deal tonight but my therapist has busted her darling little rear to put this together at no cost to us so really I owe it to her. It's so hot....ugh...and I hear there is a hay ride planned--it will be fun. With the little lightening bugs flying around and good company who could ask for more?

Old 06-15-2017, 04:34 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,926,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I would love to back out of this deal tonight but my therapist has busted her darling little rear to put this together at no cost to us so really I owe it to her. It's so hot....ugh...and I hear there is a hay ride planned--it will be fun. With the little lightening bugs flying around and good company who could ask for more?
cyn I totally understand your desire to back out. Many times I have good intentions then bomb at the execution. I was lucky in my hubby was also not a very social person although he was more social than I am by far. usually when I finally could force myself to go I had an ok or maybe even good time of it. I hope it works out for you.

So glad I do not have a therapist. I probably need one more then most. Hospice offered me counseling or meetings for me to go to but I told her trying to do either would just cause me even more stress. And that was the end of that. LOL

Old 06-15-2017, 05:44 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I remember sitting in a porch swing in New England and looking up at a pale blue ceiling....I thought it was just to resemble the sky. I didn't know it was "haint blue" with a Gullah folk origin. I am sure that the people who painted it didn't either. In my note above I didnt explain their was a belief that a ghost or haint couldnt cross water....so porches and entryways were painted blue to protect the home.
I think the haint part is a southern thing, elston, but I also remember many New England porch ceilings that were painted blue, like the sky. For whatever the reason, I like it.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:47 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
cyn I totally understand your desire to back out. Many times I have good intentions then bomb at the execution. I was lucky in my hubby was also not a very social person although he was more social than I am by far. usually when I finally could force myself to go I had an ok or maybe even good time of it. I hope it works out for you.

So glad I do not have a therapist. I probably need one more then most. Hospice offered me counseling or meetings for me to go to but I told her trying to do either would just cause me even more stress. And that was the end of that. LOL
Haha, so many things are like that. Like when you are a volunteer, and they want to thank you with a luncheon or something, but if they really want to thank you, they should just let you stay home in your bathrobe.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:05 AM

So true gentlearts! Ha!
I did enjoy myself and saw some lovely places. We rode on some hay pulled by a tractor. It was a very interesting and educational experience. We visited with a few of their thoroughbred horses. Beautiful! They have many horse shows there and lots of competitions, mostly jumping. The company was enjoyable--did a lot of laughing which I do miss! Got home by 9:30pm and walked the dogs then went to bed. I am tired. Glad today is my last work day this week! Next week will be busy again!
Hope everyone has a lovely day!

Old 06-16-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think the haint part is a southern thing, elston, but I also remember many New England porch ceilings that were painted blue, like the sky. For whatever the reason, I like it.
I remember those New England porches....and I like them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.