Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 01:14 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times

Advertisements

This is one of my really really bad days. I have worked my rear off listing since 7am and am exhausted. My poor dog and kitties keep asking for a rub and I don't even have time for that. I am beyond stressed. It is a pretty weather day so that is one nice thing. Very cold but blue skies. Tomorrow is church so that is good. I know I am basically just lonely........I hope something I listed sells. I got an offer for my chess pieces that were originally $100.00 each when I bought them and there are 32 of them--they are gold and silver plated and from Franklin Mint.....I have seen people sell them on ebay separately for $47.00 so I had all 32 of mine at $600.00 or best offer...A person offered me $275.00 and I'm paying the shipping. I refused of course. My poor DH would roll over in his grave----or in his ashes...sad...

Old 01-10-2015, 01:18 PM

266 posts, read 450,001 times
Only you can make yourself happy again. Its all in the mind.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:46 PM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedOne View Post
Only you can make yourself happy again. Its all in the mind.
Trite insensitive platitudes are not what is called for right now....especially from a stranger.....who just came on board and hasn't followed cyn's history over the last several years.....thru the sickness, diagnosis, decline and death of her husband. We have watched her valiant struggle with bills, transportation, family issues, death and grieving......and only occasionally offer "tough love" feed back. This is a lady of character and strength....not to be thrown some dime store philosophy found next to horoscopes and thoughts for the day columns.

Your comment to a stranger in pain who is suffering is abhorant and uncalled for. Walk a mile in her shoes before you throw out such absurdities to a fellow human being who is in pain.

I happen to agree that much suffering is based on our patterns of thought and the practice of mindfulness and being in the moment is the best way to deal with it.....That was the teaching of the COMPASSIONATE Buddha. Its not all in the mind....its in the heart and in the capacity to reach out to friends for support.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:20 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Trite insensitive platitudes are not what is called for right now....especially from a stranger.....who just came on board and hasn't followed cyn's history over the last several years.....thru the sickness, diagnosis, decline and death of her husband. We have watched her valiant struggle with bills, transportation, family issues, death and grieving......and only occasionally offer "tough love" feed back. This is a lady of character and strength....not to be thrown some dime store philosophy found next to horoscopes and thoughts for the day columns.

Your comment to a stranger in pain who is suffering is abhorant and uncalled for. Walk a mile in her shoes before you throw out such absurdities to a fellow human being who is in pain.

I happen to agree that much suffering is based on our patterns of thought and the practice of mindfulness and being in the moment is the best way to deal with it.....That was the teaching of the COMPASSIONATE Buddha. Its not all in the mind....its in the heart and in the capacity to reach out to friends for support.
And as Cyn is hanging in and doing way above and beyond the utmost in dealing with her loss, and grief, the person's comment, IMO, seems more like "stuff" thrown against a wall, and expecting that some of it will stick, than a comment meant to encourage someone.

And as we know too well, even with the struggle, and having a good handle on things most of the time, there are still times when that grief and loss surges up unexpectedly, grabs you by the throat, and you feel desolate.

I suspect that this is one of those times for Cyn. I'm so sorry, Cyn and as always you handle it well- verbalizing your feelings has to help at least a little bit, and knowing, I hope, that others care and are with you in spirit. You also know, I hope, how much people right there in your neck of the woods who seek your company and want you to share in things care for you too and admire you. Even if you don't feel like much right now.

Prayers and thoughts continue for you- and I hope someone comes along on ebay who recognizes the worth of those chess figures and won't try to short-change you!

Hang in there.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:40 PM

If nothing else elston and TL have made me laugh out loud. I just have to love you guys!
Somehow you can both make a sad day better! Thank you! I just sort of put that post on ignore knowing not everyone is educated in grief nor have they experienced it...and if they have and are able to put it off to it just being in the mind--well so be it. My heart is very much involved as elston mentioned--probably much more then my mind!

Old 01-10-2015, 05:39 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
If nothing else elston and TL have made me laugh out loud. I just have to love you guys!
Somehow you can both make a sad day better! Thank you! I just sort of put that post on ignore knowing not everyone is educated in grief nor have they experienced it...and if they have and are able to put it off to it just being in the mind--well so be it. My heart is very much involved as elston mentioned--probably much more then my mind!
I think that's to be expected!

Yeah, it's a public forum, so off-hand comments will come along sometimes, but those are the very least of your problems and in that light, IMO can be disregarded.

I hope we can make you laugh sometimes- maybe even when that's the last thing you expected to do. Laughter is another balm on the soul as it lets you put down your soul's burdens, even if just for a minute.
If I know I've made you laugh, Cyn, I'll consider I've had a successful day!

Old 01-10-2015, 07:08 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And as Cyn is hanging in and doing way above and beyond the utmost in dealing with her loss, and grief, the person's comment, IMO, seems more like "stuff" thrown against a wall, and expecting that some of it will stick, than a comment meant to encourage someone.

And as we know too well, even with the struggle, and having a good handle on things most of the time, there are still times when that grief and loss surges up unexpectedly, grabs you by the throat, and you feel desolate.

I suspect that this is one of those times for Cyn. I'm so sorry, Cyn and as always you handle it well- verbalizing your feelings has to help at least a little bit, and knowing, I hope, that others care and are with you in spirit. You also know, I hope, how much people right there in your neck of the woods who seek your company and want you to share in things care for you too and admire you. Even if you don't feel like much right now.

Prayers and thoughts continue for you- and I hope someone comes along on ebay who recognizes the worth of those chess figures and won't try to short-change you!

Hang in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think that's to be expected!

Yeah, it's a public forum, so off-hand comments will come along sometimes, but those are the very least of your problems and in that light, IMO can be disregarded.

I hope we can make you laugh sometimes- maybe even when that's the last thing you expected to do. Laughter is another balm on the soul as it lets you put down your soul's burdens, even if just for a minute.
If I know I've made you laugh, Cyn, I'll consider I've had a successful day!
All I have to say is...

Old 01-11-2015, 10:27 AM

Who could ask for a better group of friends/ angels?
I don't care what anyone says or thinks we have grown so close here it amazes even me! Just a blessing I am sure!

Old 01-11-2015, 04:08 PM

So this afternoon was my grief session at my church which will be every Sunday afternoon for 3 months and last Tuesday I started my grief session which will be every Tuesday now with Hospice for one month. I have 2 grief sessions I go to now plus church and Sunday school. Today the church group invited me to go to some concert in the church van next Saturday so after some thought decided I should go. I need to keep pushing myself out into the public and be around people. It was only $12.00 which includes the dinner at our church the tickets for the concert and the ride in the van--can't beat that! I'm a little uncomfortable about it--being gone at night and all but it has to start somewhere and church is a good place to start. Personally I like being at home snug and secure with my critters when it gets dark but I can't do that forever I suppose. It's just what I have been use to. I came home and got a package ready to ship tomorrow and paid some bills--yuk-another thing that needs to be done and not my favorite. Never had to do that either. I never realized how good I had it until now. Getting ready to lay down---I don't really fall asleep this early but I relax on my bed. I am not a big fan of tv, reading is difficult with my lack of concentration and my eyes are tired from working on the computer so it's off for a little rest time. Have a nice evening all!

Old 01-11-2015, 06:37 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
cyn outings in controlled groups is a safe way for a single woman to be out and you're surrounded by folks that truly care about you even better. Bills come once a month whether we want them or not eh? Hope you sleep well and are a little warmer it was a high of 30º today but it is sleeting now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.