Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 12:35 PM

14,958 posts, read 12,170,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Yes elston--especially in this area. Imagine that! I could either do home care or work out of the hospital. I'm leaning towards the home care. It's just a couple of months of training at the local community college and not a lot of $$. Hospice pointed out to me since I've had a lot of practice even dealing with the tube feedings and vent that I would be really set apart from many as they don't always teach that in the courses. That is a plus. And I choose my hours and the pay is not bad especially if I go to school and get credentials. I'm seriously considering it. I thought it may bother me but the more I think about it the more it doesn't seem like it would. I'd be disconnected and it would not be like with my DH. Sure it would bother me if and when someone passes but I really think I can deal with it. I'm giving it a little more time so my head is in working order but it is a real serious consideration.
Just a little information- maybe you know this, but just in case. Training and certification as a "Certified Nursing Assistant" (CNA) will allow you to work in any of those capacities, either home health, as a CNA in a healthcare facility such as a hospital, nursing home, or assisted living facility, so that would broaden your choices for employment.

My daughter got both her CNA, and then later on, licensed practical nurse training, both through the adult education section of our local public school system. The CNA course lasted a month, and the LPN course was a year long ( she went full time). There was financial assistance available for both courses, and they actually approached my daughter to give her a grant to pay for the LPN course- including the tuition, books and a uniform allowance, and even an IV medication course afterwards. I think the grant was administered through a state employment program, and the same folks helped her with employment when she got her LPN license.

Similar programs might be available in your state too. If so they could provide both "moral" support and financial support and IMO are worth checking out.

It's a lot to think about, of course, but for sure your experience as a caregiver for your DH does give you an edge, gives you more than a good idea of what's involved in this care, and for sure it enhances your empathy for others going through what you, and your DH went through. That makes you an even better caregiver. While it never gets easier, and you will always experience sorrow from the loss of someone you've cared for and have grown to know and love-that "heart" is essential, IMO, in being a good caregiver, it's not at all the same as a deeply personal loss of your own loved one. But IMO being in that position as an excellent, caring caregiver adds a perspective to life ( I could only describe it as a "richness", somehow) that you don't get anywhere else.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:54 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,326,647 times
I did all my packaging this morning to mail and it's Presidents Day---Post Office is closed. I was trying to beat this storm heading our way--Ice and snow...I can't get out on our dirt road when it's like that so maybe I'll call a neighbor behind us that has a paved road to help me out tomorrow---depending on how much snow and ice we get. I am beyond tired of cold cloudy weather---brrrrr. I've brought BuBu in several times to warm up but he gets so restless--wants to know what's going on outside all the time. So now he's sleeping in his house outside so I feel okay. I feel very restless myself---now if I could put that into cleaning but I haven't so far! To cold for a walk even so guess I'll take a few pictures and try to sell something. Have a blessed everyone.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:05 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,575,618 times
Nurses aid? Now we are talking. Good going Cyn. Like other said, take your time and soon you will know exactly what is right for you.
Hope the weather isnt as bad as the forecast showed.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:24 AM

14,958 posts, read 12,170,449 times
Hooboy, stay warm and safe, all of you in the path of that cold front and associated miseries..

Old 02-17-2015, 11:14 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Quote:
Looks like a good weather day even though it's still cold it's clear sky's so far! I have a man coming by from an antique place to look at some of my things today---he also runs an auction house. Not sure what I have he may be interested in but we will see. Wish I knew more about pricing but I have some ideas, can look at the internet and yes, put my trust in God!
Just wondered if he is buying them from you, or taking them to auction for you? We have auctioned many things and found it a very expensive way to get rid of things. It was like having to be polite while people practically stole our stuff for pennies on the dollar.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:55 PM

I know gentlearts....I have those concerns myself. I'm not in that big of a hurry and some of my neighbors would probably have no problem helping me have a yard sale. Wouldn't have the same class of people necessarily but at least I'd know where my money is. There are other online outlets that sell locally that I have considered. Just lots to learn and more work! Guess work keeps my mind from feeling so alone. This cold weather is horrible. I'm a "Valley-Girl" not an ice man! I fell 3 times cause my shoes have no tread left--ha! It hurts to fall on ice! I couldn't even get the truck out yesterday the roads were so bad and even today I took it slow. Most everything in our area closed down for the last few days and there is still more coming. I hope this is the last "Big-Bang" and then spring will join us. I'm sure good weather will help with the mood! Being stuck in the house was not much fun! Have a blessed evening everyone!

Old 02-18-2015, 04:43 PM

819 posts, read 1,593,579 times
Stay safe and I hope you and all your critters are warm and snug as a bug! It's cold here in GA too.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:30 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,326,775 times
Cold weather here too - frigid temps tomorrow.
I hope you'll make good sales soon, whichever way you use to sell them.
Big hugs.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:37 AM

Well BuBu had his first night inside the house--went well. He has the entry way which is as warm as the rest of the house and I put a blanket there for him. No accidents! Hooray! It was funny, when I took him out for a morning walk his kitty was sleeping under a piece of plywood next to the house where the other cats often sleep too. Guess it's warm near the house. She was so excited to see him. We all went on a walk. Very cold--at 8 am it was only 10 degrees. I will put him in his yard a little later to do his business when it warms up a bit more and then bring him back in. It's suppose to be wicked cold for a couple of days. I have one cat "whitey" who is not one bit fond of BuBu and just likes to annoy him all the time. The other cats aren't really concerned one way or another. They just leave each other alone.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:32 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,914,363 times
Quote:
Yes elston--especially in this area. Imagine that! I could either do home care or work out of the hospital. I'm leaning towards the home care. It's just a couple of months of training at the local community college and not a lot of $$. Hospice pointed out to me since I've had a lot of practice even dealing with the tube feedings and vent that I would be really set apart from many as they don't always teach that in the courses. That is a plus. And I choose my hours and the pay is not bad especially if I go to school and get credentials. I'm seriously considering it. I thought it may bother me but the more I think about it the more it doesn't seem like it would. I'd be disconnected and it would not be like with my DH. Sure it would bother me if and when someone passes but I really think I can deal with it. I'm giving it a little more time so my head is in working order but it is a real serious consideration.
I did in home health care for two years and really liked it. I had a few clients that I took care of for six months or more before they passed and you DO get attached to them. Some of their families can be a pain but most aren't and are just glad you are there. I wouldn't want to work in a hospital or nursing home. Too many time constraints for one thing. You are allotted a certain amount of time to do things and that's it. So impersonal, to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.