Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 10:58 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times

Advertisements

I work with families (Social Services), and I as many others I'm sure have seen fights break out as to "who gets what" after a parent/grandparent/other dies.
After my grandmother died, and even many years later when my Dad died, my family did go through their belongings and it was more of "Do you want this...?" Who wants this...?" It was all peaceful. What I'm getting at is that we were all each upset, but not about "who got what"...Yes, we each got their belongings, but in our own way, we don't want them. We just want the person back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 05:02 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,320,819 times
It is very sad when family argues over things. It seems to be a way of acting out in some instances. And a way of projecting unresolved issues and painful family dynamics.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
And sometimes, some folks are just plain greedy.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:35 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Ugh...the entire process with my grandparents trust got held up because my aunt is paranoid. She thought me and my siblings would cut our cousin out of what she was due which is insane because we wouldn't do that. Her interference held everything up and made it more expensive overall.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:01 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Though I was quite young at the time, I still remember the scene, fiasco, at my great aunt Edith's house after she died. She was in her 90s when she passed and had little money left, but she had been rather wealthy. She married well, lived in a lovely old Victorian, had traveled extensively and liked nice things. Her possession were obviously worth a lot of money.

One branch of the family--not sure if they were dad's cousins or nieces, nephews--showed up with spouses, children and a truck. There must have been a team meeting before the attack, because they marched in and started moving furniture, rolling up rugs and carrying out hand blown glass lamps, antique clocks. My father explained all of this to me later. I remember being told to get off of the rug and step out of the way when furniture when being moved. I also remember my father raising his voice. That didn't happen often. He wanted one of the four barrister bookcases and he had to argue to get it. He told me that I could choose one small thing as a remembrance. Everything that I chose was snatched from my hands (literally) by those people.

She was a nice woman and I liked her. While my father visited more often, he would take me to her house three or four times a year. She'd give me some toys to play with--they were probably antiques!--some cookies and milk, ask how I was doing in school. I'd ask her about the cuckoo clock and the weird plumbing. I'd love to talk with her now.

Last edited by Gerania; 10-29-2014 at 02:22 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 09:38 AM

399 posts, read 685,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I work with families (Social Services), and I as many others I'm sure have seen fights break out as to "who gets what" after a parent/grandparent/other dies.
After my grandmother died, and even many years later when my Dad died, my family did go through their belongings and it was more of "Do you want this...?" Who wants this...?" It was all peaceful. What I'm getting at is that we were all each upset, but not about "who got what"...Yes, we each got their belongings, but in our own way, we don't want them. We just want the person back!

When my Mom died, I didn't take part in the divying up of things. I felt that what she herself gave me personally meant more to me that what I could take. The items were not my Mom or my Mom's love. I didn't need them.

I also remind myself that the bible says not to worship idolitries, and only to worship God. Some people seem to worship these things they inherit.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:36 AM

150 posts, read 343,812 times
Sad to say, I see it everyday. I work in the estate planning and probate field. When we get a new case in which every agrees, it is so refreshing. For the most part, there are always issues from money to possessions. Even when everything is spelled out, people want to fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning