Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:44 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,832 times

Advertisements

That's the spirit!!! Get a girlfriend & go find something FUN to do that night..(A good movie with lots of popcorn)
& try to have a Merry Christmas!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 03:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
You don't even have to get a girlfriend to do that. Alot of us old people go to the movies alone. It's no big deal. Whatever you do, good wishes to you. It's only one day and will be over before you know it.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:25 PM

510 posts, read 716,497 times
I think everybody has something that causes them sorrow, grief, whatever you want to call it. No matter what your stage in life is, your income, your personality, all of us have something that we carry around.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:20 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I don't disagree with that and part of it is that there's not always a lot of mental energy or fortitude to spare right yet and there's more of a need to decide for what and when the effort should be expended to be sociable.
There is often much suggesting that 'we' have to get out, start a new life for and by ourselves.
Like this bunch, now, telling me I've got to join them, that I can't be home by myself.

I'm just relating a few things that are involved when making that decision and that it's not always simply prolonging mourning or preferring to stay home sulking.

In case I haven't mentioned it, I won't be going but neither will I be home 'in mourning'. It'll just be another day. Maybe I'll even find enough ambition to finally trim up and thin out the lemon tree.
Oh my, I think you are treating this invitation way too harshly! The guy only invited you to a get together. You don't HAVE to go. The guy didn't say "you HAVE to come or else...", did he? Your pride/ego is hurt, I get that. You shouldn't be burning yourself up over this. Just let it go. Stop fuming. Just don't go. Simple. Then start focusing on something else that might not upset you.

Peace for you this Christmas.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:34 PM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh my, I think you are treating this invitation way too harshly! The guy only invited you to a get together. You don't HAVE to go. The guy didn't say "you HAVE to come or else...", did he? Your pride/ego is hurt, I get that. You shouldn't be burning yourself up over this. Just let it go. Stop fuming. Just don't go. Simple. Then start focusing on something else that might not upset you.

Peace for you this Christmas.
Good grief! Ego? Pride?
Burning up? Fuming? WTF???

Maybe I will give it much more thought before writing in this forum again.

Just a BTW....actually, he did say "If you don't show up, we're coming to get you" So there! LOL

Old 12-24-2014, 03:22 PM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Please, anybody else, no need to jump to my defense.
I found her post very amusing, actually...and yes, she is a widow but I suspect more the situation is she either didn't bother to read my subsequent posts at all or did so without comprehending them.
Just as a follow up, I was approached again today at our group ,to confirm I would be going and quietly asked the young man to be understanding and not make any kind of issue about this but simply to respect my decision not to join them.
He graciously did so.
End of story.
My biggest dilemma right now is what to have for dinner.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:19 PM

I said your ego/pride because you talked about how you weren't on "the A list and you felt like just an after thought." Did I get that right? Sorry, I must have misunderstood the whole situation.

Glad the guy accepted your gracious decline.

LOL @ "so there!"

Hoping you have a peaceful night.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:21 PM

I "get it", honey.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:25 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,630 times
I apologize for my knee jerk response.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I apologize for my knee jerk response.
Accepted. All is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning