Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:52 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,789,739 times

Advertisements

Hey, Normie -- you look great! Christmas time looks nice there -- I see you're above the city -- pretty nice. I like that tree -- I notice you have a "water" theme -- boats and fish! (Just need a few kayaks there, too!) Pretty cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 12:22 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,978,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Guess I was going on your name. The internet is a fascinating place as we can get a feel for people and make friends yet still not have a clue as to their age, gender, color, nationality, locale, accent, or general appearance that may (or may not) cloud how we would relate to them in face time. I took a class in this when I went back to college and it was fascinating.
LOL, yes I have often found it amusing--people draw all sorts of funny conclusions. One guy asked me to suggest a temple in my town where the girls were hot! (Even funnier--I actually did know of one...)

I would love to take a class on this. Being judged on nothing but your words is such a freedom--and one reason I love the internet.

As for the name "normie"... well, there's a funny story about how I got that name.

Back during the Woodstock era I spent a few years as a hippie chick. I lived a bohemian lifestyle with a bunch of people who shared a rundown tenement and worked part time jobs as "activitists." Oh man, we thought we were so cool.

But I wanted something more, and I started following the beat of a different drummer. One day I got a "normal" job as a secretary. When my housemates learned about my "normal" hours and saw my "normal" work clothes, they were horrified. So they started sneering and calling me "normie."

As in "Don't be such a normie." It was an insult, you see.

But I've never been one to fall for manipulation games. The more they tried to embarrass me by calling me "normie" the more I embraced the name. I thought it was ironic that (considering the people I lived with) the most non-conformist thing I had ever done was be a normie. And that made me feel proud.

So one day, when the teasing had gone on just a little too long I made a dramatic statement. I told them that from that point on "normie" was going to be my name and "normie" was going to be my lifestyle, and they could all just learn to live with it.

I was joking, but it stuck.

And all these years later, I still have the nickname and I'm still living the normie lifestyle. Who'd a guessed??? But you know what--it's been a good lifestyle. I was able to start a successful business that is in harmony with my ideals. I've been able to make time to enjoy life, and raise a healthy & happy family. I'm financially comfortable (which is very handy when you want to retire).

And even my kids like to call themselves "normie." It's a family joke. You know, "normie" on City-Data was originally my daughter. She came to this site to research some properties... then lost interest after she bought a place. I was tickled that she used the name "normie" and so I took it over when she lost interest.

When your kids are proud of how their mom handled a derogatory nickname -- well, that's when you know that life is good (even if it does have it's bad moments). Thanks for reminding me of that.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:29 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,978,094 times
Oh, and I almost forgot...

There's another regular on this forum named "norm" and I believe he is a guy.

Confusing, huh!?

Old 01-11-2008, 01:34 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,271,601 times
So, does that make you an exceptional normie?

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm not sure there is such a thing as getting over it when it is someone you were so close to. With time and processing, maybe it just won't make you go reeling as often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning