Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:00 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,466,375 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't think you should worry for one second what anyone thinks about you being at the funeral or not.
As you said, you had a very special relationship and NO ONE can take that away from you.

We all grieve differently and I think it's a little pathetic that your family isn't supporting whatever choice you make at this difficult time.

Funerals are for the living.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 11:04 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,225,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
It was my father's mother. Ironically, he is one of the few people who said he wouldn't mind if I did not go to the funeral. He knows the close relationship I had with my grandmother/his mom. His siblings and their partners though are not going easy on me.... Lots of talk about how "I must not care"...
Then don't go. Simple.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
Well, as I am continually told on this forum, you shouldn't care what other people think.

I would guess it is more your conscience you are arguing with. Nobody can make you feel terrible, unless you allow it.

Enough with the cliche.

If you don't feel the need, don't go. It is not your job to please others, but only to please God. And the bible says nothing about having to go to a funeral. You can show your respect however you choose, and honoring them does not have to be in public view. It is between you and God and nobody else. That said, be prepared to be strong on the inside for others will judge, as they always do. But, God is your shield, use the bible scripture to lean on.

I didn't go to my nieces funeral last month. No regrets. Anyone who juges me is not who I want in my life anyway.

Don't go to be superficial. Be true to yourself.

Where in the post did the OP even mention being religious? That's a big assumption on your part.

Yes, just do what you whatever you want and God will forgive you....sigh. Just please yourself, sounds like a pass to be self absorbed.

You don't just get through life pleasing yourself, and God.

While I agree the OP has to make their own decision, to tell someone that it doesn't matter what others think, a situation like this can create long time hard feelings.

It sounds like this is more of a financial issue than anything else, I suggested earlier to the OP to communicate that to the ones who are insisting he go. Let them put their money where their mouth is and they can pay for the airfare.

Very simple, I was there a couple of months ago, I simply can't afford to pay for an airline ticket so soon. If you want me to come I need someone to pay for the airfare, let's see what they say to that.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:50 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,401,055 times
Quote:
My question. Is it REALLY wrong to miss the funeral of someone close to you? I don't think so, neither does my wife, but my family is putting the guilt and hurt on me badly. I'm very confused, and I'm wondering what other people think. Thanks.
No, it is not wrong to miss the funeral.

What counts is all those wonderful memories you will keep in your heart.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
I've been to several funerals and I hate seeing people that I knee full of life made up. I'd want my funeral to be closed casket even if there's nothing wrong with my face. It looks disgusting. I hate going even when it is people close to me.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:51 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,419,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Re-read what you wrote and notice how many times you use the word "I", and used the word "I'm" bottom line your grandmothers dead it is not about you.
Well, this ^. I don't mean to make the OP feel worse about his decision, but in general, I do not like it when people use their own feelings of discomfort as an excuse for not going to a funeral. If the family has decided to have a funeral and viewing with an open casket, and they are able to stand there and receive mourners, then obviously this is what they (and probably the deceased) wanted in terms of a service. It is not about us or our feelings, it's about paying respects to the decedent and supporting the family in their time of grief. I remember a friend saying that old myth about being in such a fog you don't even remember who was there is not true -- she remembered every person who was there, and more importantly, who WASN'T. And yes, it is difficult to hear the sound of chatting and laughter at a loved one's viewing, but this will happen, especially in the case of an elderly person whose death was not sudden and/or unexpected. I had many mementos and pictures of my Mom on easels throughout the room, and I loved seeing people linger over them and discuss their memories of her.

The OP does have a reasonable explanation for not going, if the expense would be absolutely prohibitive. But if the reason really is that he doesn't like funerals, I have a hard time with that one. Even though his father seems to accept it, it will create more stress for him (explaining why his adult son isn't there) at a time when the OP's priority should be his father and the rest of the family's loss, not his own feelings. I mean, what if everyone felt that way and no one showed up for the grandmother's funeral...

Old 02-19-2015, 10:28 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,225,740 times
Maybe remembering was easy for your friend, Avalon, but I was in a fog for both my parents' funerals. I don't remember much of either.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:49 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,419,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Maybe remembering was easy for your friend, Avalon, but I was in a fog for both my parents' funerals. I don't remember much of either.
Hi Tami, yes, I realize many times the bereaved ARE in a fog. My point is that you can't always count on that, if you are not attending the funeral. ("She won't even notice I'm not there.") Besides my example above, I have another one. My great aunt lost her grandson (who was my second cousin) when he was in maybe his 40's. He was found dead in his mother's basement, and they never shared with us what happened. His mother was my Dad's cousin and my godmother. We know we had problems with alcohol, but that's all we knew.

Many of my aunts and first cousins showed up for the viewing the night before, but they all had excuses as to why they couldn't make the funeral the next day. I wasn't planning on going because I had to work and I figured my Mom could represent both of us. However, when I heard that no one else from our family was going, I took off so I could go with my Mom. At the funeral, my great-aunt did seem to be in a fog and I was hoping she didn't notice the lack of family attendance. But as we were all gathered back at the house after the luncheon, she mentioned it. She commented that my Mom and I were the only ones to show up. This aunt had been very beloved by the family and even though we may have lost touch with the cousin who died over the years, I felt it was important we show up to support my sweet aunt in her unbearable pain and sorrow.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:54 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,305,751 times
Quote:
It was my father's mother. Ironically, he is one of the few people who said he wouldn't mind if I did not go to the funeral. He knows the close relationship I had with my grandmother/his mom. His siblings and their partners though are not going easy on me.... Lots of talk about how "I must not care"...
If your dad is cool with it? Don't go.

The rest of them are just being insensitive.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:58 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,877,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace
I really do not think I want to go, and further, I do not think I would regret not going. It is very tough because I live 900 miles away.
Your grandma knows how much you love her..... No reason for you to go if you dont want to... (900 Miles away is a long way!!)

Im so sorry Grimace!!!!!!!! -- Those we love passing hurts us the most!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning