Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:43 PM

510 posts, read 718,780 times

Advertisements

Nice picture. Hope it brings back good memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 08:30 PM

841 posts, read 3,474,095 times
There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.” ~Washington Irving.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:41 AM

28,984 posts, read 30,384,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
February 5th, I said good-bye to a loved one for the last time. Doris had been my "second mother" for the last 15 years (after the death of my own mom) in 2001. She was also my mom's nearest and dearest friend, and I first met Doris when I was born (55 years ago).

She was at our house every week, visiting Mom and chatting with us kids. She took us to the beach and out for rides in her nice car. She was a lot of fun.

In Doris' last years, I was finally able to pay back a few of the many kindnesses she'd done for me and my mother. I visited Doris once a week and took her some food and we ate lunch together. When she went into the hospital, I showed up every morning and read the Bible to her.

The last few weeks were very intense. There was no family, so me and another woman took care of her, acted as her advocate in the medical world and sat with her daily. (She was terrified of hospitals.) We were with her those last days, as she was leaving earth.

In short, I loved her dearly but she wasn't at the center of my life. I visited her regularly but I didn't see her every day.

And yet, I am still busting out in tears when I talk about her.

Silly, isn't it?

She wouldn't like to see me in such a mess.

Advice would be appreciated.

no darlin, it isn't silly, this woman owned a very special place in your heart, and we humans, are unable to tell the heart how to think and feel. It is obviously you loved her dearly, and that's ok....you cannot set a time limit on grieving...everyone is different....so please don't feel silly, or crazy....just go with it and allow it, its ok, dearheart....it's perfectly fine....and then one day, you'll be driving down the road, or cooking something, or in a store, and something she said, will make you burst out into laughter, remembering her with a smile....memories of them, is what helps to keep them alive.

When we lose someone near and dear to us, we miss that schedule that we put aside to be with them, so that purpose is also gone....

and most of all, when we lose loved ones, sometimes in the back of our minds, we fear going on without them and actually a part of us, unconsciously, believes, that it's not ok to have fun or be happy or enjoy life....but it is ok, b/c they wouldn't want us to remain unhappy or in mourning for them the rest of our days, they would specifically want us to enjoy life and live it to the best of our ability.

Be well, and happy!
Creme

Old 04-02-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post
There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.” ~Washington Irving.
this was beautiful!

Old 04-02-2015, 05:50 PM

841 posts, read 3,474,095 times
Default How long does one grieve?

Here is a link to https://simpleactofkindness.wordpres...es-one-grieve/

Old 04-13-2015, 11:33 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,257,563 times
In 6 days, it will be 39 months that my husband passed and for some reason I have been weepy the last 2 days. Why? I have no idea. Just missing my family. Mom, Dad, hubby.

It never "goes away", it just slips further down but it is always there. So you will have good days and bad days. There will even good YEARS. Don't feel that your tears are silly or uncalled for. It is never unacceptable to cry for a lost loved one IMO. If anyone doesn't accept my tears, they can go pound sand.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:30 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,334,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
In 6 days, it will be 39 months that my husband passed and for some reason I have been weepy the last 2 days. Why? I have no idea. Just missing my family. Mom, Dad, hubby.

It never "goes away", it just slips further down but it is always there. So you will have good days and bad days. There will even good YEARS. Don't feel that your tears are silly or uncalled for. It is never unacceptable to cry for a lost loved one IMO.

If anyone doesn't accept my tears, they can go pound sand.
Tami...Good you're letting your tears come up and out.. When I woke up yesterday morning, one of my eyes was swollen. And it hurt! Pretty soon, my other eye started to bother me too...I've had sinus problems lately but I felt like there was more to it...I knew it was time to let myself cry and get in touch with my sadness again. (Versus "playing soldier" and acting stoic all the time.)

Old 04-14-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Tami...Good you're letting your tears come up and out.. When I woke up yesterday morning, one of my eyes was swollen. And it hurt! Pretty soon, my other eye started to bother me too...I've had sinus problems lately but I felt like there was more to it...I knew it was time to let myself cry and get in touch with my sadness again. (Versus "playing soldier" and acting stoic all the time.)
You're right, CA, a little bit of crying feels good from time to time.

I even repped MAR for such a nice post! It made me smile.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

It never "goes away", it just slips further down but it is always there. So you will have good days and bad days. There will even good YEARS. Don't feel that your tears are silly or uncalled for. It is never unacceptable to cry for a lost loved one IMO. If anyone doesn't accept my tears, they can go pound sand.
days never flow the same, there are good days and not so good days, your reactions to issues, at hand, might also spark tears, and also your mood....some rainy days might spark tears...it depends, we're all different, and it's ok to cry for a lost one....even 15 years later....

yanno, it might also help to go to a health food store, and purchase B12 or other vitamins that will help with depression...(I'm not into taking to many meds) but vitamins and natural cures, would be the ticket...to help one thru those tragic times when you miss them the most. I did....

Great post tamiznluv!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
days never flow the same, there are good days and not so good days, your reactions to issues, at hand, might also spark tears, and also your mood....some rainy days might spark tears...it depends, we're all different, and it's ok to cry for a lost one....even 15 years later....

yanno, it might also help to go to a health food store, and purchase B12 or other vitamins that will help with depression...(I'm not into taking to many meds) but vitamins and natural cures, would be the ticket...to help one thru those tragic times when you miss them the most. I did....

Great post tamiznluv!!!
Thanks,creme. A good "pick me up" natural herb is St. John's Wort. I used to take them before I needed prescription meds. They really work well. I agree, B12 or other vitamins are essential for good body and mind health. Co-Q10 is another one. I also take fish oil for my well being. 5,000 mg of vitamin D too. My neurologist prescribes them. They are cheaper that way. I also take an adult aspirin a day instead of the blood thinners my cardiologist keeps trying to persuade me to take. Nope. None of those, thank you. I will take my chances with the aspirin.

Good suggestions, creme. Doing natural for 20 years before I needed something more powerful has kept my health and well being in pretty good check, including my MS! I'm a pretty healthy "sick" person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning