Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:41 PM

917 posts, read 1,389,356 times

Advertisements

I went to the cemetery today to take my friend from HS some flowers for her birthday.(she passed in 2001) I visit her whenever I go visit my aunt or grandma since they're all in the same cemetery. I noticed she had a few flowers but they were old & faded & looked ugly. I wanted to toss them & just keep the flowers & balloon I got her but I decided not to. Is it wrong to toss old faded flowers if its not a family member? I take her flowers about once every two months or so & when the flowers I took her look faded I throw them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 11:05 AM

202 posts, read 232,161 times
I think it is perfectly fine to dispose of the faded flowers if you are replacing them with fresh. It is so very nice of you to do that.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:25 PM

18,571 posts, read 18,871,871 times
I used to help clear away faded flowers from my grans grave when I was small then clean all the water before putting in fresh flowers... no one goes to her grave anymore which I feel sad about.. and went last year to have a look.... it was all overgrown and as she had no stone.. theres nothing to see. its so sad... It used to have a metal surround and two flowerpots but they must have gone under the earth over the years...

Old 03-17-2015, 08:38 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,195,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I think it is perfectly fine to dispose of the faded flowers if you are replacing them with fresh. It is so very nice of you to do that.
I agree

Old 03-18-2015, 04:15 PM

917 posts, read 1,389,356 times
I just think it’s looks ugly to see old faded flowers. She had a balloon that said happy birthday but it was from last year and it was already faded and deflated. I tossed that one and replaced it with the one I got her. I think I visit her grave more than her family does..

Old 03-18-2015, 04:17 PM

18,571 posts, read 18,871,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I just think it’s looks ugly to see old faded flowers. She had a balloon that said happy birthday but it was from last year and it was already faded and deflated. I tossed that one and replaced it with the one I got her. I think I visit her grave more than her family does..
thats so lovely of you...

Old 03-18-2015, 05:20 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,622,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I went to the cemetery today to take my friend from HS some flowers for her birthday.(she passed in 2001) I visit her whenever I go visit my aunt or grandma since they're all in the same cemetery. I noticed she had a few flowers but they were old & faded & looked ugly. I wanted to toss them & just keep the flowers & balloon I got her but I decided not to. Is it wrong to toss old faded flowers if its not a family member? I take her flowers about once every two months or so & when the flowers I took her look faded I throw them away.
Melissa, your friend is lucky to have someone who still cares. Are you in contact with your friend's family. Just googling around after reading your post I found a place for cheap monuments. If you know her parents and they might be willing to go 50/50 with you, I found a flat headstone for $219 and a smaller one for $199. $100 for each of you plus, if you can get someone to help you mix a little cement, you could put it in place yourself. I helped my ex wife's family (when we were still married) put up an upright headstone for both her dad and step dad.
http://legacyheadstones.com/flat-gra...eadstones.html
If you can't do that, buy one of those shepard's crook plant hangers and put it in the ground. But dig a small square where you can get that "leg" that goes in the ground, a little deeper, then fill the hole with some cement. You can buy a bag of ready mix for a couple dollars. By putting the cement on top, it's going to be harder for someone to steal it. We've had to do that in a couple cemeteries.

Last edited by kygman; 03-18-2015 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add the web site!

Old 03-18-2015, 05:23 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,892,422 times
I that's a nice thing to do.

When I visit "our graves," I take new flags to replace the ones around ours that are torn or otherwise in bad shape on other graves. There's a place to put them so that cemetery staff dispose of them properly.

As with the flowers, family members might not be able to get there as often as they'd like.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:48 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,622,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I that's a nice thing to do.

When I visit "our graves," I take new flags to replace the ones around ours that are torn or otherwise in bad shape on other graves. There's a place to put them so that cemetery staff dispose of them properly.

As with the flowers, family members might not be able to get there as often as they'd like.
My wife's family cemetery is in a National Recreation Area. The third Sunday in May each year is the family homecoming at the cemetery. They spend all morning seeing relatives they haven't seen in a year and looking through old family pictures then, at noon, all the food comes out. WOW!! But, as each family arrives they put flowers (artificial) on their families monuments and will take the ones from the year before home with them to throw away.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:25 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,797,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Melissa, your friend is lucky to have someone who still cares. Are you in contact with your friend's family. Just googling around after reading your post I found a place for cheap monuments. If you know her parents and they might be willing to go 50/50 with you, I found a flat headstone for $219 and a smaller one for $199. $100 for each of you plus, if you can get someone to help you mix a little cement, you could put it in place yourself. I helped my ex wife's family (when we were still married) put up an upright headstone for both her dad and step dad.
Single Grass Level Headstones & Markers | One Person Flat Headstones | Legacy Headstones
If you can't do that, buy one of those shepard's crook plant hangers and put it in the ground. But dig a small square where you can get that "leg" that goes in the ground, a little deeper, then fill the hole with some cement. You can buy a bag of ready mix for a couple dollars. By putting the cement on top, it's going to be harder for someone to steal it. We've had to do that in a couple cemeteries.
Before you start doing that, you had better get approval from the caretakers. Where my DH is buried, markers must meet certain requirements, and if they do not, they are removed. So be sure to get approval before you spend money and time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning