Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:21 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times

Advertisements

I have unopened packages of disposable underpads and chux for incontinence. Also washable pads that were never used.

Unopened general and medical supplies like catheters and bags, alcohol swabs, sterile saline solution, syringes, zinc oxide, pre-moistened adult hand wipes, medium and large examination gloves, and tooth swabs.

Unopened bottles of apple juice and those Hormel dinners that you pop in the microwave. Shelf life until 7/16 for the dinners.

The Lions Club picked up their hospital bed and I donated a wheelchair and shower seat but they didn't want the other items as their storage space is a musty warehouse and they claim that the items would be damaged??? Anyway, I suppose that most of the non-food items could be dropped off at the Salvation Army truck.

Was wondering if there are better options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:06 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,913 times
Your local hospice may take underpads, chux, and unopened medical supplies. The non-profit hospice in my area took these things for their in-patient facility. The non-perishable foods can go to the food bank, although the hospice might also take the apple juice. If your hospice will not take these (there are many for-profit hospice companies that don't have an in-patient facility,) ask them if they can refer you to an organization who might. I am told that HAND ( Helping the aging, Needy and Disabled) will also take such things, as will local Assistance Leagues. If those don't work, try Adult Protective Services.

My hospice gave me a list of local resources that will take donations of medical supplies, DME, clothing, food, eyeglasses, etc. Also, if you have prescription drugs, go on line to DEA Office of Diversion Control then to Drug Disposal, at the bottom. They will produce a list of places that accept drugs for safe disposal in your area. (Don't flush them down the toilet - they get into the water.)

Old 04-18-2015, 12:22 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
Excellent post, Grasshopper.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:26 PM

756 posts, read 836,054 times
My husband had hospice here at home during his last few months. There were supplies left such as those that the OP described. They told me that they were unable to take them back (can't recall why though) and referred me the local Free Clinic. I called them and they gladly accepted all of it.

If you have one in your area they may welcome the donation!

Old 04-18-2015, 04:30 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Council on aging in our area was just asking for the type things you mentioned. Bet you have something like that in your county too.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:49 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I have nothing to add to the good suggestions above, Cal, but I am sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself.

~ Suzy

Old 04-18-2015, 04:56 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
You could try freecycle.org. I gave away lots of my husband's stuff there.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:02 PM

950 posts, read 923,773 times
When my wife died of ALS Hospice said they could not take any supplies that they had furnished.

I called a nursing home and they were very glad to get them.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:25 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,644,982 times
I gave a bed to a Disabled Marine who didn't qualify to get one permanently. That's what he told me and from the looks of him I believed him. Sold the wheelchair. Gave the rest to parents of friends that needed them. Diapers to sisters MIL.

If the OP is over 50 he should know people with parents that could use them.

Many thrift stores are overloaded with these items. I saw one with about 75 walkers, your choice $5.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:47 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I have unopened packages of disposable underpads and chux for incontinence. Also washable pads that were never used.

Unopened general and medical supplies like catheters and bags, alcohol swabs, sterile saline solution, syringes, zinc oxide, pre-moistened adult hand wipes, medium and large examination gloves, and tooth swabs.

Unopened bottles of apple juice and those Hormel dinners that you pop in the microwave. Shelf life until 7/16 for the dinners.

The Lions Club picked up their hospital bed and I donated a wheelchair and shower seat but they didn't want the other items as their storage space is a musty warehouse and they claim that the items would be damaged??? Anyway, I suppose that most of the non-food items could be dropped off at the Salvation Army truck.

Post them on Craigslist under the FREE heading and meet the person at the local Police Dept for the exchange, just for extra safety. I see many such items on there all the time. Personally, I have never had a bad experience via CL and I use it weekly buying and selling. You just have to be careful and use good common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning