Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 10:24 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times

Advertisements

Last night I decided that I would finally sit down and watch Big Hero 6. I work for a library and can rent movies for free. I have heard it talked about for a while and wanted to see what it was about. Let me just say, it's very deep for a children's movie. There were some moments where the movie made me laugh, but I was surprised with how much the movie made me cry. Hiro, the protagonist, loses his brother - his brother is killed in an explosion trying to save a professor. Before Hiro's brother dies, he creates a robot for Hiro. Baymax, the health robot, is given to Hiro before the brother dies. After his death, Baymax is brought to life and Baymax helps Hiro through his grief. It is shown that love, surrounding yourself with friends and family, and having support are monumental in the grief process. Also, how powerful anger is as well.

As I was watching this movie, not only did I think about my grief after Nan's death, but the grief I felt after a very traumatic experience. Although this movie deals with death, I saw elements of revenge from other grief. Hiro tries to kill the professor because his brother died and it was the professor's fault. The professor has his act of revenge too and tries to kill everyone. Of course, in the end, we learn that revenge and anger aren't the answers to grief.

I would recommend this movie. Big Hero 6 may be a Disney children's film, but I think it is very important for adults to see. Although I bawled like a baby for two hours after watching this film, I'd watch it again. I loved Baymax. I think in the grieving process, we should all surround ourselves with people like Baymax - warming, loving, and supportive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 01:46 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
i took my 11 yr old son to see it. he has severe autism & loves movies(he is also very ritualistic;he will only watch a movie once, movie must be seen at the cinema and only on the 2nd day of release)! I was in tears blown away too, but i noticed that the majority of the "grown-ups" did not seem to have been impacted by what i felt was such a profound message! my son was well-entertained as were the other patrons, but for me it was deeper...a case of "it takes one to know one", maybe?

Old 05-18-2015, 04:18 AM

I think you're right coschristi. It left me crying for three hours after the movie ended! I went through a very traumatic experience and it happened 9 months after Nan died. Between grief from death and anger/revenge about injustice for something that resulted in a bad outcome, it opened a lot of cans. I would watch it again because I thought it was a great movie, but maybe in due time.

I think what set me off is I would have loved to have someone like Baymax after Nan's death and my traumatic experience. Nan was like Baymax and if she was alive during the traumatic experience, she would have been there for me. I was abandoned after the traumatic experience. I essentially shut off for a year and a half, but I was beginning to shut off after Nan died in January 2013 (I just fully shut off in November 2013). I think the movie for me was a way to open up and process those feelings.

I was just really surprised. I mean people told me that there were some sad moments, but I didn't expect to be crying for 3 hours after the movie ended.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,140 times
Instinctually I did not rent this movie....yet. It's just too soon but I will see it when I'm ready.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Cathy

Old 05-19-2015, 04:09 AM

Thanks, Cathy. I didn't realize what it was about - people just said it was somewhat sad, but it was good. I guess I was surprised since it's been two years and I didn't expect a children's movie to do that.

I'm sorry for your loss as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning