Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:49 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times

Advertisements

Both my parents died within the last few months, my mother just a couple of months ago. I loved them and do miss them but the actual passing has been a relief.
They both died a long slow death basically because the miracle of modern medicine was keeping them alive but in a slow and agonizing deterioration that was very difficult for the whole family to deal with the last few years. Helping care for them in their elderly age, dealing with one sad stressful phone call or email after another about the latest problem was very difficult.
I guess everyone truly does deal with mourning differently, but for me, since their passing I feel like a huge weight has been lifted.
We all have to deal with the loss of our parents at some point in our lives unless they died when we were too young to remember them and I only offer my own experience here as one point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 05:58 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,819,005 times
My condolences on your loss.

I agree with you. My father had Alzheimers and did not have a peaceful death.

My mother had lung cancer that had metastasized to her brain and spine. She was in pain until the end.

I was greatly relieved when they died as they would not suffer anymore.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:53 PM

372 posts, read 534,244 times
Completely understandable.

I am sorry for your loss, but it can be a relief, especially we we love them dearly.

We feel their pain, and grieve with them.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:31 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
I am very sorry for your loss, kanhawk. I think we all can understand your relief.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:57 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
I lost my mother last year due to an aggressive and terminal disease. When their quality of life is gone, their passing quickly is a blessing. It does not mean you loved them any less, it means that you are glad that their suffering is over.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:48 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Both my parents died within the last few months, my mother just a couple of months ago. I loved them and do miss them but the actual passing has been a relief.
They both died a long slow death basically because the miracle of modern medicine was keeping them alive but in a slow and agonizing deterioration that was very difficult for the whole family to deal with the last few years. Helping care for them in their elderly age, dealing with one sad stressful phone call or email after another about the latest problem was very difficult.
I guess everyone truly does deal with mourning differently, but for me, since their passing I feel like a huge weight has been lifted.
We all have to deal with the loss of our parents at some point in our lives unless they died when we were too young to remember them and I only offer my own experience here as one point of view.
I completely agree. It is a relief when they are suffering and the quality of life is gone.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:02 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I lost my mother last year due to an aggressive and terminal disease. When their quality of life is gone, their passing quickly is a blessing. It does not mean you loved them any less, it means that you are glad that their suffering is over.
Exactly, joe.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:18 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,949 times
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your parents within such a short time. My heart goes out to you.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:05 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,392,491 times
My mother who was 91, went to bed and never woke up. That is what I want to do too, but no rush to do it.

I have known a couple of people who said no to chemo and radiation, because it was simply delaying the misery.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:21 AM

750 posts, read 644,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
My condolences on your loss.

I agree with you. My father had Alzheimers and did not have a peaceful death.

My mother had lung cancer that had metastasized to her brain and spine. She was in pain until the end.

I was greatly relieved when they died as they would not suffer anymore.
Good grief. You had things rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning