Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:56 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,231,821 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry for your husband's lose of his sister and you of your SIL.

I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized I didn't need to put up with my SIL anymore once her brother died. No children involved though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 01:26 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,126,313 times
see my sil is just the opposite her husband my brother died five years ago and we all visit each other when we can . She is always glad to see me . Yes the family posted in the op's post might possibly be dysfunctional and maybe leaning toward mental illness and I would really just let the girls know that you love them and give them your contact info . Most likely this is the last you will see of them because it sounds like dad and mom (your sil ) have poisoned them against you and your husband . I would just walk away and not worry you will never hear from them again sad to say .

Old 06-19-2015, 06:36 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,301,452 times
Sounds like a cult.

You can't do much. Just be there. Let them know you will always love them and think of them. Who knows maybe they will escape some day. Kind of creepy.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:20 PM

35,255 posts, read 17,141,934 times
My father died in January 1973 of aggressive, metastatic cancer. A few days before, his (gay) brother and his sister (who had a baby with their family doctor 11 years before divorce) acted in a bizarre manner at my father's hospital. They ordered the feeding tubes reconnected where we had acquiesced in the hospital's decision to disconnect them.

When they continued to fight us on the cremation (as opposed to burial) we cancelled the hearse and did not invite them to the condolence call. I thought at the time that my mother was being petty. After some more bad behavior in the next year or so, I changed my mind.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 PM

850 posts, read 1,900,990 times
Thanks so much everyone for the replies....and yes, I think you're all correct!

I had a great change of perspective on the whole thing, after an unproductive day of being bogged down with thoughts:} But here it is: Our relationship with this family was always on their terms. We did the giving, they did the taking (or so it felt). When they indicated that they were dropping the SIL side of the family I felt devastated but why? What am I really losing? Just a dysfunctional relationship. In order for anything to ever be different, this has to end. And that is a good thing. Now, there's hope of things being different....maybe someday. And if not, that's okay too. Because when a door is closed on something so dysfunctional it opens doors for better. I am excited to see what good things it will bring. I feel so much better....thanks forum!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:03 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,819,075 times
You seem like a very nice person tjay. John's sister passed last week while we were away and the memorial service is today. It's over six hours away from where we live. John is still under the weather and I would not be attending if he was going to go. Toxic people are a waste of time and I divorced myself from his family over 20 years ago. Do what you have to do to get through what amounts to being just one day out of your life. Then go out there and find a better class of people worthy of your attention.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:24 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,683,984 times
At least you can have some personal closure on the sad situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning