Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 05:16 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times

Advertisements

Find an attorney you trust, have them draw up a simple Will, leaving your estate to anyone or organization(s) you choose. Give a signed copy to that person and/or organization and appoint the attorney as executor. There are many small charities that do not have high overhead or you might find a family within your community/church that you might consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 11:52 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,171 times
I market a legal plan that includes will preparation and the hardest thing is getting people to get their will done. Many people think if they do it that will make them die quicker. The thing is if you do make a Will your respective state has a process in place to settle your estate. If you don't make your wishes known they will decide for you.

As for a trust that option should be addressed with an Attorney because just from an expense probate could be costly.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:44 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
I started a thread on this in personal finance and there some good tips not too long ago.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:40 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
W
And please, no "Give it to me" smartass remarks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Bequeath it all to me. I will see that it is put to good use on wine, women, and song.

"smart ass" Didn't he specifically ask that you not respond?

Old 01-17-2016, 03:11 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
"smart ass" Didn't he specifically ask that you not respond?
True but it was just to easy a mark not to.......LOL

Old 01-20-2016, 06:39 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
If my siblings die before me it all goes to Make A Wish.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:35 AM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,943 times
I too have no children.
I have a living will, where I can make changes, if needed. Revocable or irrevocable.
I have an assigned power of attorney, and she is also my medical directive. She knows me very well, and I've told her everything abt my burial plans as well.

I made it before I went in for heart surgery, and after my parents died.
In fact, I need to make a few changes to it, thanks for reminding me..

Old 01-25-2016, 01:57 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,883 times
If you're in Arizona, you need to remember it's a community property state. You'll need a will and probably a trust with a trustee such as a lawyer, accountant, or good friend your trust. You'll want them to be trustworthy and distribute your assets as you have stated in the codicil to your will. Having a trust and a Trustee will keep your wishes in tact and protect your assets from those heirs who might make a claim to your estate, which the state would allow without a will or a trust. .

Old 01-27-2016, 04:30 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times
I think you can look up the comparative overhead for various charities.

Perhaps there's some cultural organization you like that would really appreciate it - a museum, an opera company, or even PBS. Or perhaps you'd like to bequeath it to a school or even set up a scholarship in your name.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:33 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,805 times
You could leave it to a relative. You don't have to like the relative.

Unforgiveness is a poison we take in an attempt to kill the other guy. Your estate no matter how large or small, could help change a life and better your family overall. It might also help make leaving this world a more peaceful and fulfilling experience for you. You are not only letting go of your worldy goods, but also letting go of worldy resentment and ills.

Then again, I understand what it means to need to stay away too, but you might want to reconsider that choice - I'm just saying.

What is important to you? You can leave it to your community - to build something it needs. Funds for a community garden or park or playground, to help preserve a natural area, to buy a piece of medical equipment for a nearby hospital, new gear for the volunteer ambulance or fire department. To help update the local school or public library with books and computers, etc. To help build or update a kitchen and/or food bank for the needy in your community. If you are religious, to help update your church, temple etc.

All organized charities take the lion's share of donations for administration costs. If I went the charity route, Id try to keep it on a more grass-roots level.

I have a special place in my heart for animals and the mentally ill. Those that often find themselves dumped and forgotten by society. What do you have a special place in your heart for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning