Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 04:00 PM

146 posts, read 100,802 times

Advertisements

It's hard to "put down" a beloved pet. Some people should simply never do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 04:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
No one will ever replace a lost loved one but people come in your life and fill different roles.

My heart goes out to you and I hope your burden lessens.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:48 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
There used to be a saying I haven't heard for a while. "Life's a b**ch and then you die." I think you have to realize nothing is ever the same as time passes. No matter the circumstances you have to look at what you have, not what you don't. A month ago we put down our 17 year old chihuahua and my wife can't get over it. I've never seen her this desolate over the death of parents, family members, etc. Sometimes it just hits you and it takes a while.
Sometimes one loss, seemingly small, can recall all the other losses you have suffered in your life.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:26 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
I suspect this is a big part of it. Also as empty nesters this was her baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Sometimes one loss, seemingly small, can recall all the other losses you have suffered in your life.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:02 PM

344 posts, read 245,181 times
Grief has no time line. Two and five years are still very recent. In my own case, the rawness of a loss (20 years ago) has never gone away. I don't believe it's gotten "easier" with time. I remember the person, celebrate his life, and still talk to him frequently. As time goes on you just accept your new reality and you do keep on living - and laughing and enjoying.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:12 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
Grief has no time line. Two and five years are still very recent. In my own case, the rawness of a loss (20 years ago) has never gone away. I don't believe it's gotten "easier" with time. I remember the person, celebrate his life, and still talk to him frequently. As time goes on you just accept your new reality and you do keep on living - and laughing and enjoying.
So true and we have to keep in mind the ones who have left would NOT want us to suffer for them, they left in their time and so will we all.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:23 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I suspect this is a big part of it. Also as empty nesters this was her baby.
I think another reason the loss of a housedog hits people particularly hard is that they're constant companions, so you're constantly reminded of their absence. I've always found it helpful to get another dog soon after, not as a "replacement," but so there's that dog sound and presence around the place rather than a quiet chill.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:29 AM

115 posts, read 205,159 times
My heart goes out to you as my parents have been gone two years now and I'm an only child with no family.
Just to let you know others here care even if we don't know one another, there is still a connection.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:21 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
True. We are retired for about 10 years and the dog was a constant presence day and night. We have considered it and looked at rescue puppies and dogs online, but we're just not ready yet, or maybe none of their pictures called out to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I think another reason the loss of a housedog hits people particularly hard is that they're constant companions, so you're constantly reminded of their absence. I've always found it helpful to get another dog soon after, not as a "replacement," but so there's that dog sound and presence around the place rather than a quiet chill.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:57 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Thinking about this and I will be gone one of these days, I would NEVER want my only child to suffer and stop living, I wish her the best to go on with her life and children. We've had our ups and downs, but I love her and she's my child.

I've chosen NOT to have house pets but would miss my beautiful fig tree in my living room if it were gone. It's a living thing and I feed and love to see it growing and getting new leaves etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning