Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 05:36 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times

Advertisements

Casket? I don't need no dang casket! Wrap me in a shroud, put my body in the ground, with a vault if required by the graveyard, and be done with it.
Do NOT spend several thousand dollars for a fancy box then take it out and bury it. If a casket is required for some odd reason, contact the Cowboy Casket Co. and get a plywood one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 05:41 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Casket? I don't need no dang casket! Wrap me in a shroud, put my body in the ground, with a vault if required by the graveyard, and be done with it.
Do NOT spend several thousand dollars for a fancy box then take it out and bury it. If a casket is required for some odd reason, contact the Cowboy Casket Co. and get a plywood one.
Or make one. Out of plywood it would be really easy to do. Love the rope handles.

You can also rent one for viewing and be buried without anything although like you said if you are buried in a cemetery you will still need to have a vault made of concrete to keep the dug up ground from collapsing when it all rots away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burial_vault_(enclosure)

I'd rather go for a natural burial where nothing is needed. Just go back to nature.\
https://greenburialcouncil.org/find-a-provider/

Old 02-17-2018, 09:46 PM

121 posts, read 105,825 times
Embalming is just another 'upsell'...Sadly, I think you are requred to be contained in some kind of coffin or box to be cremated in some states. I hear you can request to rent a casket for a funeral service. Can also be cremated in cardboard box...May be able to use burial cloth in some places for cremation or burials.

Makes more sense to cremate...Fad around here was cremation and burial.

Father passed in June. He didn't want anything done except cremation. But family decided to have a nice grave side service and was quite nice. Had a military 21 gun solute for him...His mother was buried in graveside service too. Was nicely done too with tent, music and nice eulogy from a pastor. Urn setting on table with lots of pictures provided by family and some simple flowers.

I just ask to be cremated and spread over the family plots at the cemetery to allow me to blow into the nearby wheat fields. Would like a nice wake with the friends gathered ... Stinks when I'm not sure anyone would attend anymore but some things are out of my hands, I never wronged any of them. I'm in bad area covering up a Mr. Cosby and the crazy hatred breaks up families and many friends when weak are told someone is 'those people'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning