Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 03:25 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
was on a trip to Italy about 11 years ago and met another American tourist there. We were both there for a week and we hung out, going out for pizza, playing ball, stuff like that. We weren't best friends, but we hung out pretty much every day we were there. We kept in touch for a little while after we got back, but naturally lost touch due to the fact that he lived in Alaska. Yesterday I was bored and people searching and I went to look up his name on the Internet, and an obituary popped up. He hung himself 5 years ago. Since I haven't spoken to the guy since the trip, I am not upset, but I was quite shocked to see this. Just curious, from personal experience, has anyone ever randomly looked up someone on Facebook, Google, etc, and found out that they were deceased? If so, what was your reaction?
Yes. An ex-bf I was with for a couple of years after college. All the obit said was that he "passed away unexpectedly". Mysterious. Also, I was saddened to see that his family had no clear idea what he had studied in college (a bio was in the obit). That seems very sad, when parents and siblings are so out of touch, that they don't know what their loved one's major field of study was. It gave me a pretext to contact the one family member's name I knew, whom I'd met back in the day. I included a eulogy, sharing some memories, correcting the record regarding what the deceased had studied, and sharing his outstanding academic record. I found his brother's email address, and emailed the message, hoping for a reply, so I might further inquire about the cause of death. I got nothing. Zip. No response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 10:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Yes. I looked up the Maid of Honor from our wedding, whom I had lost touch with for just a few years. Just a few short years, due to a broken computer and not sending out Christmas cards for a couple of years, and also, she and her husband had unexpectedly gotten a divorce. And we had moved out of state.

Well, like the original poster, I looked up her name and town where she was living; an obituary and a couple of news articles popped up, since she was prominent in her field. And only about 55 years old. Her obituary says she died from complications from a fall. That is all I ever learned. It was very up-setting.

So sad....

Old 03-09-2018, 02:18 AM

21,531 posts, read 8,716,437 times
I looked my ex-husband up on Google and found his obituary. It took me quite a long time to recover from the shock. We had been divorced for 28 years, and no one in his family bothered to contact me.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:08 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I went to a local, regional forum today to ask a question, and learned that an old friend had died this past Monday. I hadn't talked to him in over three years. The last few times I called him, his phone was off.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:46 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My husband found out his estranged brother had died by just going through online obituaries. It was quite a shock for him.

I found out a guy I worked with in the late 90's who was a great guy died while I was on Facebook. I was shocked because he was a few years younger than me and was such a hard worker.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Two people within the past six months, both friends from high school. One was a classmate, and the other three years ahead of me - both women. I make this blanket assumption that since women live longer than men that almost all the women I ever knew around my age are still alive, as a result I was more surprised than I should have been I think.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:20 PM

46 posts, read 18,702 times
I found out my friend Jeff from school died...... And my friend John got squeezed by a garbage truck in North Carolina I think a feww years ago....... Both were quite sad.....

Another friend of mine GARRETT died but I diont know how.... He was in the service and after he came home something happend.... I hope it wasnt suicide....... I have heard alot of people who are in the service cant handle the pressure and sometimes things happen

I miss Garrett so much (I thank him for his service)

Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Yes, I've looked up several people on social media and when I couldn't find them, I researched more and found their obituaries online. They were people I knew back in high school. Obituaries often don't state the cause of death. I was quite shocked to learn they had died in their 20s and 30s.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:03 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times
My father. Was getting close to Fathers day a few years ago and I was wondering about him. We had not spoken in several years. He was mad at me for not loaning him a large sum of money. I did not have that large sum of money to loan him and he blew through over half a million dollars he did have in a very short time being the big shot. Anyway I tried to call several times and when he did answer his phone he was just nasty to me. Alaway so critical on everything I ever tried to do for him. Cards were stupid gifts stupid and so on. I just gave up. This father did not raise me I was given out for adoption and we did not connect until I was 32. I tried very hard to include him in my life . He just did not know how to be a dad. Had no other kids. I felt sad we never could connect in a father daughter sort of way but not devastated as I always expected this is how it would happen. I did have myself removed from his trust a few years before. I wanted no financial responsibility for his foolish spending.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
In a way, yes. But not so much looked up as found out about. A high school classmate died a few years ago, at age 32 I believe, for no apparent reason whatsoever in Las Vegas. She was out hiking with friends, reported not feeling well suddenly, and they got her back to the city, took her to the hospital, and she died the next day. I was just completely shocked by this because they never did list a cause of death. There was simply no information ever given after that point and they never figured out why, to my knowledge.

I didn't know her very well in high school, we talked a bit, but then she went to Los Angeles and pursued filmmaking, as did I, and we were in touch a decent amount with her sending me scripts, exchanging hopes and dreams about the industry, and she was always really passionate, full of life, seemed to be on a great path. I didn't assume something like that would have much of an impact on me because it's not like we were close personal friends by any means, but I felt guilty for being so sad about it maybe partially because I had (and still have) a girlfriend and I didn't want it to appear like I ever had a thing for her. I had a thing for like 25 girls in my high school; she wasn't one of them (though she was pretty, somehow I just didn't ever notice her much at the time, didn't have similar classes).

I thought about it a lot over the weeks and months that followed, I guess because she was so young and seemed to die completely randomly, of nothing explainable or understandable to anyone. I've known of other senseless deaths for sure, but they rationally made some level of sense. I had a friend in grade school, really nice guy, whose older sister was extremely smart, she was just celebrating the DAY she graduated from Yale with honors, and she was at a house party. She leaned against the railing of a balcony and the rail gave way, totally failed, and she fell to her death. Literally her life after school was just starting, not 24 hours old, and all of that hard work was for nothing. Completely senseless. But it also is one of those things where you think, well, yeah things like that happen, it's an accident, very poor workmanship.

Whereas I'm still just wanting to know, what happened to this girl who suddenly got sick and died and you can't figure out a reason for it? I thought our medical technology is at least good enough to figure that out after the fact, even if we can't prevent every disease or whatever. I know she would have went on to do great things in the future, and the world was robbed of a passionate artist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning