Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 02:39 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Your article talks about OVERDOSE of opiods can cause respiratory depression. If you look at my linked article, particularly the last paragraph on the 1st page, it does not cause respiratory depression when used in normal doses to relieve air hunger.
Yes, iit says IF caused by overdose. If you apply the drug when the condition is already evident, you are probably committing malpractice. That may be one reason the nurse doesn't provide an actual medical diagnosis to the family when suggesting the doses. Then they would be liable for not following the treatment protocol. Notice the other suggestion in the original post insinuated falsely that morphine was used for heart attacks, which was not the case here. She is providing herself cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 09:43 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
Again...you are incorrect. Using morphine to relieve air hunger in the end stages of congestive heart failure (which is what the poster described), is the accepted treatment. The nurse telling them that morphine and aspirin is used during a heart attack was an attempt by the nurse to explain the safety of morphine.
You are trying to tell someone who's loved one was in hospice and terminally ill, that the nurse was encouraging morphine for air hunger to kill them, or that giving it, will kill them quickly. Not only is that incorrect, but it is highly unethical and irresponsible to make that kind of a statement here.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1568605141164

Old 09-23-2019, 06:48 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Again...you are incorrect. Using morphine to relieve air hunger in the end stages of congestive heart failure (which is what the poster described), is the accepted treatment. The nurse telling them that morphine and aspirin is used during a heart attack was an attempt by the nurse to explain the safety of morphine.
You are trying to tell someone who's loved one was in hospice and terminally ill, that the nurse was encouraging morphine for air hunger to kill them, or that giving it, will kill them quickly. Not only is that incorrect, but it is highly unethical and irresponsible to make that kind of a statement here.

Actually, you are only repeating my response to the original post. The nurse doesn't make any diagnosis. I said the fluid buildup was a likely sign of heart failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
What you describe appears to be heart failure and not a heart attack. The nurse is intentionally trying to lead you to a conclusion and get you to administer the morphine. The morphine depresses the breathing and makes the patient unaware of what is happening. When you're undergoing respiratory distress, it accelerates the failure of the lungs and eventual death. She may have already been near the end since the fluid buildup indicates the heart is also failing.
There is a financial interest for hospice since they get paid 5x the first 60-day routine care rate if death can be sped up. I believe there's also readmit penalty that comes into play if they survive.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:28 PM

558 posts, read 434,618 times
My husband was in hospice for only three weeks for congestive heart failure. For two of those weeks, we wondered if we had made a mistake. We thought maybe being sent to a Medicare rehab center would have been a better choice.

The nurse was nice as was the bather. We got a lot of equipment as well as supplies including the Ensure Clear he needed, which was expensive and hard to find. But their real contribution, since he was on it a short time, was when he died. I didn't KNOW he was dead. I just couldn't wake him.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:55 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
My husband was in hospice for only three weeks for congestive heart failure. For two of those weeks, we wondered if we had made a mistake. We thought maybe being sent to a Medicare rehab center would have been a better choice.

The nurse was nice as was the bather. We got a lot of equipment as well as supplies including the Ensure Clear he needed, which was expensive and hard to find. But their real contribution, since he was on it a short time, was when he died. I didn't KNOW he was dead. I just couldn't wake him.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Very good experience

Old 11-19-2019, 07:52 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
I am sorry for your loss, SouthernSusana.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:29 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post

Oh. That's not, I don't know, not good. When my husband was crashing, stat, stat, and they were going to intubate him, I yelled, "stop!" I gave him a kiss, told him that I loved him, and that I would be sitting next to his bed.

I'm a pretty quiet person, so I don't know where I found the guts to tell a crash team to stop what they were going to do.

That was the last time that we looked into each others eyes. I stood in the hall outside of his room, and the staff kept trying to send me to a lounge. I think that they were trying to "save" me from hearing unpleasant noises. To hell with that. I signed on for until death do us part, and I meant it.

I've been in accidents, and I've been very ill. I feel sorry for my son who has had to take me to an ER at least five times. OK, three of them were within 36 hours for the same problem because the doctor was stupid. I finally got a better doctor the third time. She was great.

It's 12:27 here, so I must be the Midnight Rambler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning