Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 07:16 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Too many!

It used to be my parents friends and our relatives

Then our friends and neighbors

And now it's our children's friends
I have family members in (I think) ten states. I can't get to all of the funerals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 12:51 AM

541 posts, read 394,388 times
As we get older there will be more. Thru age 30 I attended funerals of grandparents and great-grandparents.

As an older person of 59, I have attended the funerals of two of my friend's children (crushing), my aunt, my uncle, my sister-in-law, my husband's second cousin's wife, my mom this year, and my mother-in-law this year. It's a time to gather with those we love and who loved the person who passed, morn, and remember. For friends and co-workers who had parents pass, I went to a funeral home visitation in the evening after work, but did not take off work to attend the funeral.

For my mom's passing especially (the one that affected me the most), it was healing and it really felt necessary for me to be there. It was a chance for me to address others in church with some memories, something I really wanted to do and for me was part of the grieving process for me and healing also.

For me as a child I really didn't get it. As an adult, it's a ritual that I understand more.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:11 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,580 times
5, from what I can remember.

Both my parents.
My friend’s cousin, who was also my ex boyfriend.
Our 6 year old neighbor who was hit by a car. I think I was 10 at the time.
A colleague of my mom’s. I was very young at that time but still remember her laying in the coffin.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:55 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
I think only 6 so far- all of my grandparents and two distant relatives. I was also present for the at home euthanasia of my beloved cat, so I’ll count that too since that was actually sadder for me than any of the funerals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I don't really go to funerals. If someone dies, I grieve and say goodbye in my own way. Those feelings are intensely private to me, and not something I feel comfortable expressing around others. I wouldn't want a funeral held for my own death either.
I agree.

Last edited by Amelie90; 09-14-2019 at 11:04 AM..

Old 10-01-2019, 10:46 AM

80 posts, read 33,003 times
I'd say less than 10, mostly older acquaintances and one friend. I know it isn't about me, but I'm always awkward and do not know what to say to those who are grieving. I've been told not to worry about it though, and this list (https://deepestcondolencemessages.co...ence-messages/) also emphasizes the same -- short is fine, and those who have lost someone just need to feel that there are people supporting them.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:10 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
9... Two of my grandparents, my mother, my uncle, a co-worker, and the rest were friends throughout my life.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:54 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
I think it depends on your definition of "been to". I've been to a lot of funerals as a driver. I drive one of my classic cars in the funeral procession. But I never participate in the funeral formalities.

When my mom dies, hopefully soon, I will empty my museum of classic cars for the funeral procession. But I will not participate in her funeral formalities.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 433 times
Unhappy too many to count

I honestly couldn't tell you how many funerals I have been to in my lifetime as it is literally too many. I would honestly say that I have probably been to 40 or 50 in my lifetime and I am only 32 years old. My record was 8 in one year. I had went to 10 or more before I was 21. I have known a lot more people to pass away than the funerals I have been to. Since 2015 I personally have known in one way, shape, or form over 60 people to die or more (some were just acquaintances, some were friends, some were family, some were just people I knew), I couldn't give an exact number because I have honestly lost count. I'll be 33 this year and I feel that it is definitely excessive.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:32 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Only 1. At age 21. It was my boyfriend who went into a diabetic coma while driving on the freeway. I've literally never been to another funeral. I don't know why. I was brought up in church and still go to church. I've just never had anyone friend or family die and have a funeral. It's always "memorial services" or "celebrations of life."

Old 06-04-2021, 01:32 PM

424 posts, read 175,768 times
Hmm, maybe 6?

My grandfather
My great-grandmother
My husband's uncle
My friend's father
My father-in-law
My friend's son
My father's stepmother

Some of these were memorials after the fact because they were cremated (I assume).

I missed my husband's grandparents' funerals because we were living out of state and just couldn't swing it at the time to fly home.

I've known more people who passed away, but I haven't attended every funeral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning