Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 05:25 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I agree. People stopped inviting me to parties because I was suddenly single. Did they think I was going to hit on their husband? These people had been friends for years, and they pretty much dropped me.

It was different, but sort of like that for me. One day I really enjoyed something that I ate. I couldn't tell you what I had swallowed in the months leading up to that. Something that had calories. I lost a lot of weight.
I'm sorry this happened to you.
this is when you find out who your true friends really are....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Not all widows have a network of friends. I choose to be alone. I always have been except when married, I am comfortable with it. No problem.
I do to...I now have a small network of friends, by choice only....
and they are all retired, and still don't get that I want to be alone, people forget what it's like to work full time....

Old 07-03-2018, 12:21 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
I think that having friends and activities is important, although it depends on each person. But even having an extensive social network does not relieve the loneliness of being without your spouse. No matter how much I enjoy my dinner out or my day on the trail with others, when I come home, I am alone. I can't tell my husband about my adventures and challenges. We can't share our opinions or our feelings about people and places. We can't comfort each other when an activity has gone poorly and we can't support each other in our ongoing interests or plan activities together. I am alone in reviewing the events of the day, when I go to bed and when I wake up in the morning.

Friends are important, but they can only go so far in filling the void. So we have to somehow make peace with the alone-ness that remains. Becoming comfortable with single life is the challenge.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:11 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Love your post, gbh.

Oh, I so hear you about being alone when sick, Gerania! That is the pits. I spent 3 days this past Fall sleeping in my recliner, only getting up to go to the bathroom because I was so sick. No food, no smokes, no nada. I almost thought I was going to expire myself in that chair. It sucked.
I've done the recliner thing. At least I had one. After my accident, my son stayed for a few days, thankfully, because I got stuck in mid-cline. He had to haul me out of the chair before I wet myself. It wasn't pretty. The metal parts were a bit rusty, so he cleaned them them up and greased them.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:40 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've done the recliner thing. At least I had one. After my accident, my son stayed for a few days, thankfully, because I got stuck in mid-cline. He had to haul me out of the chair before I wet myself. It wasn't pretty. The metal parts were a bit rusty, so he cleaned them them up and greased them.
Oh my! That was a predicament! Thank goodness for your son! Hope your recliner is behaving properly now. Yeah, I dread getting sick. Thank goodness my flu shot seems to work except once a year.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:18 PM

574 posts, read 376,778 times
It has been 20 months since my wife passed. I get invites but I tell them I am not ready. I still cry at the simplest things and I don't want to make a scene or be a downer at anyone's party. So my solitude is self imposed. I don't know how people close to me would handle things because I have not given them a chance. In my case grief is a singular thing.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:10 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
It has been 20 months since my wife passed. I get invites but I tell them I am not ready. I still cry at the simplest things and I don't want to make a scene or be a downer at anyone's party. So my solitude is self imposed. I don't know how people close to me would handle things because I have not given them a chance. In my case grief is a singular thing.
I hear you, stevie.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I think that having friends and activities is important, although it depends on each person. But even having an extensive social network does not relieve the loneliness of being without your spouse. No matter how much I enjoy my dinner out or my day on the trail with others, when I come home, I am alone. I can't tell my husband about my adventures and challenges. We can't share our opinions or our feelings about people and places. We can't comfort each other when an activity has gone poorly and we can't support each other in our ongoing interests or plan activities together. I am alone in reviewing the events of the day, when I go to bed and when I wake up in the morning.

Friends are important, but they can only go so far in filling the void. So we have to somehow make peace with the alone-ness that remains. Becoming comfortable with single life is the challenge.
I have not had a problem with being alone, but, was alone most of my life, and I have MS now, which creates a problems socially for me. Meaning, I chose my friends carefully now...I must...and when people begin to smother me, it becomes overwhelming...emotionally...I actually need to be alone...so I don't mind being alone...

Maybe you could start a journal of sorts, date each log, and talk about your experiences on paper, or start a blog...it might be something wonderful to leave behind, for loved ones to read when your no longer here.? Just a thought?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
Would you like to talk about it....(you don't have to answer me) but why not join a group session. I know a woman who went, and she said it helped, however, it's not for everyone, you need to decide...but you share your inner most feelings with each other, and it does help some, by listening to others.

When I read the pain that people go thru missing their loved ones, as yourself, it makes me think about all the loveliness you've had in your life thru another...

One thing, though, is you cannot measure your pain of loss or how someone else would handle it, and apply that to you...b/c we're all different.

Be good to you, by giving yourself all the time you need....

doesn't matter how others would handle it, or themselves, during this time...

but one thing, some people never find that kind of love their whole lifetime...

try and focus on the good memories....if you can....

Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 PM

574 posts, read 376,778 times
The group thing works for some people. I went to a single meeting and it is not for me. I relive all of the heartache just fine by myself without sharing it with others. Everyone's story is just tragic and it feels more like piling on the hurt rather than making it go away.

Everyone finds their own way I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning