Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 07:01 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times

Advertisements

We recently got a mailing from a local funeral home. They handled the funeral after our Best Neighbor Ever! died. At 93. He was a great guy and is missed.

It was about arrangements. While my wife and I have discussed our wishes, i.e. to be buried in my old family plot in New England, that's as far as we've gotten. Obviously the funeral home is fishing for business, but they did a nice job with our friend/neighbor and I'd have no problem using them.

And of course we don't have plans for departure in the near future. However.
I presume it would be costly to preserve our carcasses, box us up and fly us east. Then dig a hole and consign us to The Ages.
There is a big headstone and we could have the needed info engraved in the granite works. We can get individual military markers for free, I believe.

About pets...can pet cremains be buried in caskets with humans?

I went fishing--duh--on the internet and haven't found what I need yet.

Thanks for any experiences or recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 06:32 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,857 times
I had a lot of similar questions when my spouse died and was cremated. I have her remains here at home and now the remains of 2 of our dogs have been added to the shelf.

I and our other dog will be cremated in time and my plan now is for all of us to be scattered together at a predetermined location in nature. I will enlist the assistance of a local funeral for this final phase.

I talked to them about these logistical questions and I encourage you to seek out a planner at a local funeral home to do the same. They can give you an idea about prices and state laws regarding dispositions you might have in mind.

I found only kindness and information in my inquiries, not someone trying to sell me something. Maybe I got lucky. Mine is a small family owned business of many years long standing so that could have made the difference in my experience.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:18 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,519 times
You will need two funeral homes, the one where you are to prepare the body and arrange the shipping and the one in New England to receive the body and arrange the burial, you can have actually funeral service or memorial in either or both places.
You can also look into buying your casket, or urn online and save a LOT and the funeral home must accept them.
My family plot is also in New England and I am now in West Virginia, we decided that we would be buried in WV National Cemetery since my husband is a veteran, it will save a great deal on the costs, and have perpetual care of the cemetery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning