Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:48 AM

913 posts, read 885,602 times

Advertisements

My Father did hospice for almost a year and a half in my home and we were lucky to have the same nurse the entire time. She was an amazing person, kind,caring and very capable. My Father was a difficult man, but he adored her and trusted everything she said. They developed a loving bond and she cried her eyes out when he passed. I will be forever grateful for her heart of gold.♥️
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 08:25 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I find that so touching - that you would consider a job that must be so difficult, and so depressing, to be a privilege.
I have a friend who is doing it now. She had maybe three stints doing home nursing with agencies and she was very depressed by each one. She then started as a hospice nurse, and at Christmas time wrote me an email about how happy she was with the work and how much of a privilege she felt it was.

When we lived in the same town together I found her a good combination of kind and practical. And it is interesting that she commented on how much she has liked and enjoyed some of her clients and what interesting people they were to be with. And this reminded me of something in the past.

When my best friend was dying he turned his entire life over to me, just plopped it all in my hands....his money, financial and medical powers of attorney, executor of his estate, choice of health care service and diciest of all I chose the hospice nurses as he did not want to. He was a very feisty guy in his healthy life and very much given to taking control and running the show to the point of annoying people over and over. So, I thought this would be the role from hell.

But the three women - with very different personalities - were unbelievably good, and damn they made friends with him and he was a p ussy cat! I worked with them after work and on weekends. Given his normally combative personality, I was amazed that he was easy-going with them and truly delighted when each one arrived. These women actually made him happy right up to the twenty minutes before he died.

He was young, he was a take-charge guy reduced to a living corpse, he was dying, he went blind, he became so ill we found he was passing tissue from his organs when he had bowel movements...and these women made him happy in the midst of all of this! They were excellent caregivers in the physical way, but they were incredible as caring human beings. His decline was squalid, but they made him joyful. And when he breathed his last breath I could not stop crying because of how damned happy they had made him through all the misery and filth.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:22 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I have a friend who is doing it now. She had maybe three stints doing home nursing with agencies and she was very depressed by each one. She then started as a hospice nurse, and at Christmas time wrote me an email about how happy she was with the work and how much of a privilege she felt it was.

When we lived in the same town together I found her a good combination of kind and practical. And it is interesting that she commented on how much she has liked and enjoyed some of her clients and what interesting people they were to be with. And this reminded me of something in the past.

When my best friend was dying he turned his entire life over to me, just plopped it all in my hands....his money, financial and medical powers of attorney, executor of his estate, choice of health care service and diciest of all I chose the hospice nurses as he did not want to. He was a very feisty guy in his healthy life and very much given to taking control and running the show to the point of annoying people over and over. So, I thought this would be the role from hell.

But the three women - with very different personalities - were unbelievably good, and damn they made friends with him and he was a p ussy cat! I worked with them after work and on weekends. Given his normally combative personality, I was amazed that he was easy-going with them and truly delighted when each one arrived. These women actually made him happy right up to the twenty minutes before he died.

He was young, he was a take-charge guy reduced to a living corpse, he was dying, he went blind, he became so ill we found he was passing tissue from his organs when he had bowel movements...and these women made him happy in the midst of all of this! They were excellent caregivers in the physical way, but they were incredible as caring human beings. His decline was squalid, but they made him joyful. And when he breathed his last breath I could not stop crying because of how damned happy they had made him through all the misery and filth.
That's a sad but touching story - and I note your own modesty in not mentioning how much time and effort you must have put into overseeing his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning