Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry for you loss. Your mom sounds like a lovely person.

I lost my mom in January of this year. Like your mom, she was in long term care and we all knew her health was shot and she was going to leave this world pretty soon. Even so, when it actually happens, it's shocking, I don't know why, but I guess it's the reality of it, the finality of it. I have not yet broken down and bawled, not like I did about my dad, whose death was pretty sudden and who was chipper and upbeat and totally with it mentally till the last few days of his life. My mom had dementia so that's different.

Anyway, now that the reality of her passing has settled in with me, I am comforted by my belief that she is now enjoying health and vitality and a very sound mind. I believe both my parents are in a better place now. Now that their aging and deaths are in the past, I am able to focus more on the positive memories and putting their deaths in perspective of their lives. I promise that things come around like this eventually. One day you will realize that most of your memories of your mom are from when she was younger and healthier and happier and that's comforting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 10:08 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
My 92 year old mother died at 6.30 pm Saturday. Peacefully slipping away without pain or mental distress. That was probably due to the morphine pump.

Mum had developed an internal bleed which could only be treated by transfusion. Mum had an Advanced Care Order in place, which limited treatment in such a situation to palliative care only. She had that kind of bleed before, and it had always resolved ,after a lot of blood transfusion.

Mum was quite Ok about dying. Although she had pleasant surroundings, and was treated with great kindness, she WAS in care,(HER decision) and it simply did not have the same quality of life.

Three of her 4 kids got to say goodbye .The fourth is interstate , and will be coming home for the funeral .

Emotionally, I'm Ok, as this had ben expected for several years as mum became increasingly infirm . I rarely cry. It's also likely it hasn't hit me yet.

Some staff at the facility were in tears to learn Mum was dying.

Mum was a practising Catholic, having Communion and last rites. She was what I call a small 'c' Christian, giving witness to her faith by the way she lived day-to day.

A compassionate lady, mum helped a great many people lover her life time ,and was loved by many.

That is how I will remember my mother
I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. My mom died in 2013. Mommy was gone.

My extremely intelligent nephew led me through the paperwork nightmare. It took months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning