Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 10:11 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

Wherever you spread the ashes, please take the box when you go.

Even though it's illegal to toss ashes off the Golden Gate Bridge, the boxes often wash up on shore nearby. The deceased's name is frequently still legible. Tacky tacky tacky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 12:24 PM

577 posts, read 493,824 times
I asked my wife to sprinkle my ashes on my Mothers grave. Thinking while maybe doing so, might help me to get to see her again on the other side.

Then maybe again, I may be all wrong. She may just show up with a broom and dust off her grave while saying out loud what she did to me, when I was kid 60 years ago...

" Now there you go again son, just making a big a mess for me to clean up"...

Old 05-05-2019, 01:01 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
My family spread part of my mom's ashes in a State park in Wisconsin. It never occurred to me to inquire about a permit. We just did it where out cottage used to be, years ago. I have also spread ashes in a Green Belt area in California, also without a permit. True, you could get fined, I guess. But often this is done in a quiet, isolated area, and few people would be around to notice. I think if you are going to do it in a campground, a popular site for visitors, or a well known landmark, a permit might be in order.
Look, use a bit of common sense here. Obviously if you choose a secluded seldom-visited patch in a park or other public place to scatter ashes you could do so undetected. There are places popular for memorializations where staff keep an eye out for such things. If you are caught the fines can be pretty severe. Its one thing to walk out into the middle of a Civil War memorial visitor area and dump them but quite another to hike 2 days into Denali National Park to do the same. Depending on the area there are regulations prohibiting depositing human remains on public property or private property without permission. There's the gross-out factor and technically it IS waste dumping; not much different than dumping/burying a body, your compost or the contents of a camper holding tank (yeah yeah, don't start...I know cremains would be sterile). One family doing so isn't going to matter much. Two thousand families doing it in the same area every year will matter. If you want to take ashes out to sea for example you usually have to go out beyond the 3 mile coastal zone limit to do it legally.

Also you may not realize it but most if not all states keep strict records on the disposition of all human remains; cemetery, mausoleum, scattered, in the hands of a relative, etc. If you wish to be respectful not only of your relative and of the place that was so special to them you follow the rules of the place. Seems pretty ironic and self-serving to go to such lengths to fulfill such an important wish but do so in a furtive, skulking, and illegal manner.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-05-2019 at 01:10 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 01:59 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
With my dad, I just went for it. Who's going to know?

And next time you're watching a Packer game from Lambeau Field, when you see the team come out of the tunnel onto the field, my dad is right there waving them past. In a manner of speaking.
Very cool! I will remember that now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Look, use a bit of common sense here. Obviously if you choose a secluded seldom-visited patch in a park or other public place to scatter ashes you could do so undetected. There are places popular for memorializations where staff keep an eye out for such things. If you are caught the fines can be pretty severe. Its one thing to walk out into the middle of a Civil War memorial visitor area and dump them but quite another to hike 2 days into Denali National Park to do the same. Depending on the area there are regulations prohibiting depositing human remains on public property or private property without permission. There's the gross-out factor and technically it IS waste dumping; not much different than dumping/burying a body, your compost or the contents of a camper holding tank (yeah yeah, don't start...I know cremains would be sterile). One family doing so isn't going to matter much. Two thousand families doing it in the same area every year will matter. If you want to take ashes out to sea for example you usually have to go out beyond the 3 mile coastal zone limit to do it legally.

Also you may not realize it but most if not all states keep strict records on the disposition of all human remains; cemetery, mausoleum, scattered, in the hands of a relative, etc. If you wish to be respectful not only of your relative and of the place that was so special to them you follow the rules of the place. Seems pretty ironic and self-serving to go to such lengths to fulfill such an important wish but do so in a furtive, skulking, and illegal manner.
Phhfftt.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:48 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Showing my complete ignorance -- is "ashes" actually that? I hear the term "cremains" which perhaps implies that there might be something more than ashes left after the process. Archaeologists sometimes uncover cremated remains so something identifiable seems to be left over in some cases. A lot of us have metal body parts these days.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:55 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
No, I didn't ask for permission then, nor would I now. What a crock!

And, no, I didn't take a bunch of people along, nor did I scatter the ashes where anyone would walk, camp, or even notice.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:59 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Archaeologists sometimes uncover cremated remains so something identifiable seems to be left over in some cases.
I guess.

The three boxes of cremains I scattered were fine powder with a few fragments, almost like the sandy, old-style kitty litter.

It was raining during one of the times, and when I finished, there was no sign of the cremains, nor any when I went back several weeks later.

As for metal, no, that is removed before cremation, along with pacemakers.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:00 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
When my sister in law died, we had a meeting with the priest. Every time a family member mentioned her ashes, the priest would correct them with "cremains". I guess the family didn't appreciate his corrections, because "ashes" got mentioned more and more frequently.

I think cremains is a tacky, trendy mashup word that feels disrespectful.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:45 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Showing my complete ignorance -- is "ashes" actually that? I hear the term "cremains" which perhaps implies that there might be something more than ashes left after the process. Archaeologists sometimes uncover cremated remains so something identifiable seems to be left over in some cases. A lot of us have metal body parts these days.
Usually they'll grind up/crush anything that's left. You can Google "how does cremation work?" if curious.

It depends on where you are. For example, in Asia cremation is not usually as hot as in the U.S. (especially if just in a temple foven rather than something industrial like a Western crematorium would have) and there will be more larger bone pieces left over. I think I recall that they're less likely to crush the bones into powder? But don't quote me on that.

This is likely the case with what you mention in archaeology-- in the past, cremation fires would not have been as hot (and thorough) as modern furnaces.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:16 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
MrsM and I drove to Four Corners Monument, https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...y_Arizona.html ...The only time we would ever get there.

Beautiful day. Got to the main gate and had to turn around. Seems someone deposited ashes on the X. We were told that they had to call the EPA, the Tribal Council and the Medicine Man. The park was closed for the day.

(IMHO, it was closed because they had to get the dust out of the jewelry that they were trying to sell)

Anyway, we made the executive decision to visit another site that day and come back the next. We were not on the time clock

There was an older couple crying that they had to get to airport and this was on their bucket list. Still couldn't get in

The next day, it was pouring, but we saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning