Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 04:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,126,785 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 04:55 PM

19,726 posts, read 10,506,354 times
LIFE...so fragile.
LOSS... so sudden.
HEART...so broken.

In the wake of such a loss, we're haunted by things we don't - and
may never - understand. Yet the solace we seek may not come from
answers. So we look for comfort, in the belief of love's everlasting
connection. May that love lift you, hold you close, and give you
peace.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 PM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTB View Post
Thank you, everyone, for the kind words. I’m trying to do one day at a time but it’s very difficult.

I have taken the wonderful advice that was offered and am looking into grief and support groups.

I still sleep with his Ernie doll. It’s comforting.
Doesn't everyone love Ernie? He's so nice.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:43 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,617,094 times
My heart goes out to you for your loss. When you provide care for someone on that level, they become your world, and now you feel as though your world has been taken away :c rying:.

My prayer is for you this evening.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

35,657 posts, read 18,021,886 times
At this point, 332 people clicked into this thread, OP, and my guess is all of them said a silent prayer for you.

Best wishes. This is so very hard.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:06 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,554,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTB View Post
Thank you, everyone, for the kind words. I’m trying to do one day at a time but it’s very difficult.

I have taken the wonderful advice that was offered and am looking into grief and support groups.

I still sleep with his Ernie doll. It’s comforting.
I'm so sorry. Losing a child would be the worst thing that could happen to a parent. I can't imagine.

My heart goes out to you. I hope you can carry on and can find happiness again, keeping your good memories of your son close to your heart.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:41 PM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
At this point, 332 people clicked into this thread, OP, and my guess is all of them said a silent prayer for you.

Best wishes. This is so very hard.
I probably wouldn't have posted if my sister's son hadn't died when he was 16.

Just a few years ago - or probably more - when we were talking on the phone, I realized that it was his birth month and mentioned it. I got, "I don't to talk about it." That's fine with me. I told her that we weren't going to discuss it, but that I remembered that he was a beautiful baby, that I still have photos of him, and that I'd never forget him.

It's still a "thing." She called me the day that he would have become 40, so I reminded her that she's older than I am and always would be. There was silence, and then she started laughing.

It's going to take quite a long time, but eventually food will taste good, and something will cause you to laugh. You're not not being unfaithful if you laugh.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:56 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,194,057 times
Hello Gerania --

I am so, so sorry. I can imagine that his memorial service was beautiful, and I am glad friends and family were able to come and offer their support and love. These first mornings and evenings must be very hard, and I am writing a note for you, as the others have, to let you know people out here care.

Friday, today, is my Special Needs brother's bowling day. It is a time when we get together for his group and then go over to the bowling alley for a brunch and then they bowl. The bowlers are mostly in their 40's-60's and their parents are getting older. Many of the mom's are widow's now, and some, like my parents, have passed on. But it is a special group with a priceless accepting bond and some of the most beautiful loving friendships I have ever seen in my life. One fellow is adopted. His mom was widowed early and she has carried on with her son and he is her life. The friendships of the parents are a true support system. The support we receive from each other and the love exhibited by the families helps us carry-on for another week. My late mother took care of him for many years, and now I do. He lives with my husband and myself; he is 65 and my Hubby 66. I am just telling you this so you know I do understand the lifestyle.

I hope, when you are able, you can continue these connections you have with your son's "community". You see, Gerania, you are experienced and have the wisdom you have gained through these years of caring, and there is still so much need in our special communities, for support and love. Hopefully, this will be a way to help you with your healing and a way to carry on your son's legacy. Even little things, no matter how little, are so appreciated in this "Special" world you have been a part of for 35 years.

Five years and nine months ago, our daughter became pregnant. At her 12-week ultrasound, the MRI tech became silent and perplexed. I was [fortunately] there with my daughter. The Tech left the room to get the Dr, and then that Dr got another Dr. Well, you know how this story goes.... A Special baby was coming into the family. My daughter's experience with her uncle helped her. You know the drill - her life changed. Her world changed. Her airplane "landed in Holland", as the famous poem about a Special Needs baby goes. "Welcome to Holland" is the official name of the poem.

Now, your precious son is at peace, and you are still here, grieving. I just wanted to reach out, and tell you I care, as do all the other posters. Please, if you can, keep up all your contact with your "community"; you need them too and they need you. Yes, you still are needed and can help others, my friend.

If you want to talk more, feel free to private message me [or whatever they call it on City-Data]. Or post as you are able. You are important!

God Bless you.

-- Hollyhock

Old 07-13-2019, 12:05 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,833,486 times
HTB, I am sorry for the loss of your beloved son and for what you are going through. You only need to get through one day at a time. Keep your friends and family close. Be good to yourself. Although you will miss and mourn him every day, one day when you think of your son, you will smile because he lived. Take care.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:52 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,583,101 times
People just don't understand that the more you care for someone, the more you come to love them. I hope you are getting through your days OK and with some hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning