Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 03:33 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
That is those people. I don't know them. I do know my mother. (Who did have things she was attached to, yes. And was not a Depression kid, at any rate.)

Clearly plenty of people here are attached to at least certain possessions, or know people who are/were, considering that we're having the discussion at all about people who are/were worried about what would happen to their stuff after they died, were offended that family members would get rid of it, etc. If someone bothered to keep something-- even for practical reasons-- they clearly felt it had some value. That's why these same "depression kids" were often pushing things on family members. In some cases, they couldn't stand to see it go in the trash (for whatever reasons they had).

I'm not sure that an anecdote about people who simply may have been too lazy (or, attached) to clean their own stuff out and decided to leave it for someone else to take care of is proof that people don't care about what happens to it. It just means they know it's out of their hands (and culpability).
No one is talking about "certain possessions." Everyone has some of those that they would like to go to certain people. Using your mother for an example is also an anecdote. All personal experience is anecdotal.

In many cases the old people over value some of their stuff and think it is worth something. Some save it for that reason. Old men and tools are a big one. Old women and figurines are another. A person should not feel any guilt when they get rid of those things. It is not disrespectful to get rid of things no one really wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 07:45 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
No one is talking about "certain possessions." Everyone has some of those that they would like to go to certain people. Using your mother for an example is also an anecdote. All personal experience is anecdotal.

In many cases the old people over value some of their stuff and think it is worth something. Some save it for that reason. Old men and tools are a big one. Old women and figurines are another. A person should not feel any guilt when they get rid of those things. It is not disrespectful to get rid of things no one really wants.
Old tools can be valuable, it just depends on the tool. One of my grandfathers did work as tinsmith, plumber, and woodworker. His antique tools were sold at auction and fetched crazy high prices, enough to support his wife for years. I would personally fork out good money for certain planers and bandsaws. The average tool set, not so much. A lot of guys are like me in that we have unfinished projects and the occasional need for a 11mm long-arm offset wrench to fix that durned hidden bolt that loosens every other year.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:16 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Old tools can be valuable, it just depends on the tool. One of my grandfathers did work as tinsmith, plumber, and woodworker. His antique tools were sold at auction and fetched crazy high prices, enough to support his wife for years. I would personally fork out good money for certain planers and bandsaws. The average tool set, not so much. A lot of guys are like me in that we have unfinished projects and the occasional need for a 11mm long-arm offset wrench to fix that durned hidden bolt that loosens every other year.
Again I am not talking about tools someone would actually want, even though the market for those is dropping. I mean the 58 year old Stanley screwdriver and the metal 1/4 inch drill.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:51 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
My eyes are starting to cross.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:13 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
My eyes are starting to cross.
LOL! Mine too.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:33 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I own 50+ vehicles... About half restored and insured. Long ago I decided to stop worrying about it... If push comes to shove they can all be auctioned off and converted to cash and likewise for my home machine shop

Old 07-30-2019, 07:00 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
My mom died last month and fortunately she had sold her house a few months prior so she didn't have as much "stuff" when she passed 7 weeks into moving into an apartment. Her niece took most of her furniture, my sister, oldest son and I kept a few things that she loved and reminded us of her and the rest went to charitable organizations. She had a 2002 Chrysler Concord with only 69,000 miles on it. Since my lease is up the end of August I am going to drive it for awhile so I can save some money to put down a nice down payment on my next vehicle in a year or so.

Her death has me reevaluating the stuff in my own house and I am parrying down whatever doesn't bring me joy or has some use. I also plan on prepaying for my cremation. No sense in leaving all this for surviving family to take care of after I'm gone.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:05 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
I am sorry about your Mom, chiluvr. That is good that her stuff was taken care of so nicely it seems. Yes, reevaluating is a good thing for your survivors.

Peace.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:17 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
During first sort go right for the obvious sentimental or high value stuff. Second sort go for sellable then donateable stuff. Can recycle a lot of paper product. Also destroy documents you don't want with names, addresses, birth dates, ages, maiden names etc because ID thieves can use some if not all of that information. I shredded old deeds which is their own way were works of art let alone historical because of things like maiden names, previous addresses etc which are many questions a bank might ask.

Long story short after each sort if you have time it gets easier and faster. You have had time to reflect or prioritize.

I've found many charities will take anything useable because they'll resell it in one of theirs or associated charity stores. When donating if you really don't want to see it go to waste you have pack it neat. If stuff gets damaged or a package opens and is missing parts much of that stuff will get tossed. I neatly fold clean clothes and pack stuff in boxes. Tape shut boxes on bottom on games for example. This is so your efforts won't go to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning