Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,579 times

Advertisements

I worked for an organization that trained on how to be more resilient. It's a spinoff of positive psychology.

At first, I thought it was a great idea to train to become better prepared to handle adversity and to bounce back from life's challenges. I now feel it's been harmful in some ways.

Have any of you had experiences with resiliency training and felt it was actually having the opposite effect on you, where you felt worse?

I felt somewhat condescended and talked down to by resiliency trainers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:20 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,218,757 times
I never heard of this. Would you be willing to share about what resiliency training is? Thank you.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:25 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,576,783 times
I've never heard of it, either. I can't imagine being trained to be resillient. Doesn't that shut down your feelings?

Old 10-27-2013, 01:45 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
I've never heard of it either. Sounds like it might do more harm than good.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:39 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
I think that even if you do take a course on being more resilient..that's all it is..a course. No-one can really know how they will deal with a situation when it comes up, until it does...maybe that's why you felt "talked down to"..because the instructors know it too...no-one can instill in someone else the way they will react to life's many challenges.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
I would be interested in finding out more about this. I have worked with a behavioral health management agency for many years (they are a client) and we are discussing offering behavioral health courses to the public. One of the courses we have discussed is Handling Grief.

The outcome would be to help people understand and cope better with grief and loss.

Hearing that someone has come up with this particular type of "resilience" training and that it could have actually created some issues is something I want to know about! I do not want to make this mistake with putting together a program that is actually going to do harm in some way.

So please - do share more of what you are thinking, what occurred to make you feel this was not a helpful strategy, etc. I am truly interested.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:30 PM

433 posts, read 532,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska_1900 View Post
I worked for an organization that trained on how to be more resilient. It's a spinoff of positive psychology.
At first, I thought it was a great idea to train to become better prepared to handle adversity and to bounce back from life's challenges. I now feel it's been harmful in some ways.
Have any of you had experiences with resiliency training and felt it was actually having the opposite effect on you, where you felt worse?
I felt somewhat condescended and talked down to by resiliency trainers.
Last month I made a post about resiliency training which was fairly well received, I will try to copy it here.

"I don't know how many of you watch the TED talks on YouTube, but, there are many that are educational and/or motivational. One that I ran across awhile back that has special meaning for me is by a young lady who lost her daughter in a car accident. She advises--first of all-acceptance, second-attention to things you can change, and 3-are your actions helping or harming?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWH8N-BvhAw If you ladies (or anyone else) have other recommendations, I would appreciate them. Thanks."

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/grie...t-merited.html

It is unfortunate that the Original Poster never got back to clarify his/her misgivings as several people asked. The US Military has developed extensive programs to enhance resiliency---

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ience+training

Old 02-12-2021, 01:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
It happens that I was recently volunteered to participate in the Resiliency Program for our company of about 2,000 people. The first meeting is next week, so I cannot yet comment on it, other than that people were hand-picked from many different departments, based on their specialty, mine being utilities. It's not considered training, in our case, but planning.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:14 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
I enjoyed the ted talk speaker. Her story was worthy of regard.

The resilient mantra is similar too...dont sweat the small stuff. And everything is small once you muscled thru it.

My m.o.p.is not resilient when major upheaval transpires. I follow into the tailspin, wash up on some shoreline amongst strangers with a pure awareness that ' I'm not in Kansas anymore ' . The disconnect.

So while it's for some a method to march on....

I could be misunderstanding. ..how is resilience different from denial. .?

Old 02-12-2021, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 1,573 times
While you were taking part of this organization, what were the day-to-day activities you were involved in? How did these "professionals" prepare you to become more resilient?

It sounds like an interesting workshop, a challenging mental project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning