Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 03:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful time at dinner tonight - glad you are doing OK so far today.
Thank you - so far so good! I hate the weather but otherwise it's been a pleasant enough day.

Hey, I'm beginning to really appreciate days that don't absolutely suck from start to finish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 04:45 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I think that after one year, I am going to remove many of the "anniversaries" from my calendar. They're too stacked up at this point.

I don't think I need any reminders of when my parents or brother died - Your thoughts?
I have no idea of the dates my mother, father, and brother died.

And I do not even know what year they died exactly.

I concur - remove the 'anniversaries' of the deaths from your calendars, as you suggest above.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I have no idea of the dates my mother, father, and brother died.

And I do not even know what year they died exactly.

I concur - remove the 'anniversaries' of the deaths from your calendars, as you suggest above.
Thank you - I just think it's unnecessary drama for my emotions. It's like I need to reserve strength.

I want to focus on positive things, not negative things. I mean, it's not like I don't FEEL the negatives anyway - I don't need reminders to do that!

Old 01-22-2021, 10:47 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
Hopefully after some time goes by, I won't always think about those anniversaries when I see specific dates.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:12 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Thank you - so far so good! I hate the weather but otherwise it's been a pleasant enough day.

Hey, I'm beginning to really appreciate days that don't absolutely suck from start to finish.
Bathing, laundry, and cooking anything can be the high point of a really bad week. If you put out the trash and recyclables you get 2 points. You have a dog? Are you taking it for walks, runs?

Old 01-23-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Bathing, laundry, and cooking anything can be the high point of a really bad week. If you put out the trash and recyclables you get 2 points. You have a dog? Are you taking it for walks, runs?
LOL I have two dogs. And they are both old so neither of them even wants to walk on a leash. Oh well!

But I do get points for lots of stuff. Including taking out both the trash and the recycling, on time, every week!

You know what is a good day to me? A day that I don't feel like a scalded cat in the 7th level of hell.

Yesterday was my first birthday without my husband in 15 years. Here's what was interesting - I honestly felt dull, just going through the motions, the entire day, even when I went with a couple of friends to what had been "our" restaurant - and the maitre de even sat our little group at the VERY SAME TABLE IN THE VERY SAME SPOT where my husband and I had had our first date. I expected to feel emotional - but I didn't. Not sad, not nostalgic, not happy, nothing really.

I think that's what has been bothering me the most lately - that nothing feeling. But I'll tell you something else interesting: I love to set a festive table and I love to entertain. By me saying that, I mean, under normal circumstances, maybe back in the day, who knows. But anyway, I was looking at a magazine that had Christmas entertaining table settings displayed and I realized with a start that next Christmas I want to have Christmas dinner at my house and I want to set a beautiful table. Hey, at least the desire is there, right? So I think that's a start.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:51 PM

My step dad passed away on Thursday. Another whole set of firsts for my entire family.

I feel like I am almost dead inside, but I have to be strong for my family.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
My step dad passed away on Thursday. Another whole set of firsts for my entire family.

I feel like I am almost dead inside, but I have to be strong for my family.

I am so sorry about your stepdad.

You do have to be strong and you will be strong. You got this. Just a word of advice: Take care of your own needs first and foremost. Remember what the airline attendants tell us - put your own oxygen mask on before you try to help someone else put theirs on. Better for everyone.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I am so sorry about your stepdad.

You do have to be strong and you will be strong. You got this. Just a word of advice: Take care of your own needs first and foremost. Remember what the airline attendants tell us - put your own oxygen mask on before you try to help someone else put theirs on. Better for everyone.
Thank you, much appreciated. Today hasn't been good, but tomorrow is a new day.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:45 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
LOL I have two dogs. And they are both old so neither of them even wants to walk on a leash. Oh well!

But I do get points for lots of stuff. Including taking out both the trash and the recycling, on time, every week!

You know what is a good day to me? A day that I don't feel like a scalded cat in the 7th level of hell.

Yesterday was my first birthday without my husband in 15 years. Here's what was interesting - I honestly felt dull, just going through the motions, the entire day, even when I went with a couple of friends to what had been "our" restaurant - and the maitre de even sat our little group at the VERY SAME TABLE IN THE VERY SAME SPOT where my husband and I had had our first date. I expected to feel emotional - but I didn't. Not sad, not nostalgic, not happy, nothing really.

I think that's what has been bothering me the most lately - that nothing feeling. But I'll tell you something else interesting: I love to set a festive table and I love to entertain. By me saying that, I mean, under normal circumstances, maybe back in the day, who knows. But anyway, I was looking at a magazine that had Christmas entertaining table settings displayed and I realized with a start that next Christmas I want to have Christmas dinner at my house and I want to set a beautiful table. Hey, at least the desire is there, right? So I think that's a start.
I didn't go back to the restaurant for six months, but it was his. I took my son because we'd always gone as a family. I wanted him to remember the good meals and times that we'd had there and not avoid restaurants and other places where we'd had a good time. One of the three times that we went there we sat at exactly the same table.

I've been experiencing the cumulative affect this week. Maybe because it's January, cold, and dark. My friend Mary Jo died when she was 8 years old and we were in 3rd grade. My grandmother, the only grandparent that I'd ever known had died just a few months before. My dad's best friend died at Pearl Harbor. I remember two older boys who died in Vietnam. Walt died in the Beirut Bombing. My in-laws and parents are gone. For some reason, this week I am remembering everyone who died. In 2019 my (possibly) best friend died. He didn't really like when I called him my best girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning