Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 10:18 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

I miss my dad's jokes. Yeah, they were Dad Jokes, and puns, sometimes terrible puns. He used to crack me the hell up. I also miss his advice on everything from cars and plumbing to career choices and Mom drama.

I miss seeing my husband on the front porch, waiting for me to get home from work because he usually got home first. If it was too cold for that, he'd rush to the door calling my name when he heard me jiggle the key in the lock. I also miss him taking out the trash and taming the jungle that is our backyard.

I miss the letters filled with family gossip from my dad's oldest sister, and the phone calls from his middle sister who was my godmother. My sister and I now feel so detached from the rest of the family with all but one of our dad's siblings gone.

I miss the snarky workplace observations and office gossip I shared with a co-worker who died in December, along with shared gardening and canning tips, and many bottles of wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 05:55 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I miss the call I would make to her every morning at 530am, waiting on my van pool. It was 730 where she was so it worked out.

I miss taking her to Taco Bell. She would have little appetite at home but she would always have two or three crunchy tacos when I took her there. And I miss taking her to Half Priced books where she would spend an hour or so browsing.

Good memories. She was my bestie.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:11 PM

1,204 posts, read 933,989 times
Can’t give you another good reputation, mschrief, but thanks for telling about the little fun things you’d do with your mother.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I miss my mom. She was mercurial and argumentative, but she was also beautiful, artistic, and was always reading. She was a good conversationalist.

I miss my dad - I miss his laugh, his sentimentality, his kindness, and his wisdom.

I miss my husband's scent, his kisses, and most of all, his love for me, which was unconditional. I miss him saying to me "You are the smartest person I know." (Not sure that was true but that was how he felt at the moment.) I miss his sense of humor and his ways that seemed boy like even though he was a grown man and very responsible and had a great career. I knew the little boy ways - and I don't think many people did.

Old 07-20-2022, 05:48 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
I was the youngest sibling, and my mom used to introduce me as her baby even after I grew up and started getting old.

My mother used to love to read and she would take me to the library with her after my older siblings went to school.

I inherited her love of books and ended up working in several libraries. I used to read three novels a week.

Sometimes she would take me for walks and she would put me in a little red wagon and she would pull me if it was going to be a very long walk to the grocery store.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:56 AM

I miss my husband's broad chest.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:28 AM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,260 times
So much. I recently found a short video clip of my late husband. It took my breath away.
That voice, that cologne that he wore, that faint smell of cigarette smoke, said cigarette addiction that ultimately took his life (oh, the irony!) - and, most of all, hearing Louis Armstrong's "It's a Wonderful World" that framed his outlook on life. He played it often. I've not played it since he died.
He lives on forever in my heart, and that is my greatest treasure, his eternal legacy.

Old 07-21-2022, 07:06 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
So much. I recently found a short video clip of my late husband. It took my breath away.
That voice, that cologne that he wore, that faint smell of cigarette smoke, said cigarette addiction that ultimately took his life (oh, the irony!) - and, most of all, hearing Louis Armstrong's "It's a Wonderful World" that framed his outlook on life. He played it often. I've not played it since he died.
He lives on forever in my heart, and that is my greatest treasure, his eternal legacy.

Loved this post. My companion used to smoke three packs a day when we met. I made him quit, but he used to steal my cigarettes and I eventually had to quit smoking too. Little memories like that mean a lot to me these days.

I still haven't thrown any of his stuff out. I wore his pajama bottoms around the house all day every day at the beginning of the covid shut down for about 6 months until they were in shreds.

Funny how we find ways to cope.

Old 07-22-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Loved this post. My companion used to smoke three packs a day when we met. I made him quit, but he used to steal my cigarettes and I eventually had to quit smoking too. Little memories like that mean a lot to me these days.

I still haven't thrown any of his stuff out. I wore his pajama bottoms around the house all day every day at the beginning of the covid shut down for about 6 months until they were in shreds.

Funny how we find ways to cope.
Thankfully I moved. I downsized which was necessary but also very therapeutic. This is MY place, MY house, MY stuff, MY decisions. Yes, it's all on me but I can't stress enough how much it means to have my own place, without any ghosts wandering around. It was hard. I am not going to lie. It was super hard. But I did it and I am so glad I did.

Old 07-23-2022, 02:57 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile I have always missed them....

My mother was always so sweet to everyone. To have her for a few minutes was a gift.

If I went to see her, she would ask if we could have tea and she would serve me Krinkles (her own cookies).
She would also give me some cookies to take home. The problem was that they never made it home because I ate them!

But having that tea time with her was so special. I will always treasure those moments.

I miss my father also but I remember my father as a younger man. He would often drive me to school in Fort Lauderdale and also I remember times with he and my brother when we go to his office in downtown Chicago. He loved to play cards and I loved those times with him. My two sisters and my mother never joined us. It was just my father, my brother and me.

My mother adapted to changes in life much better than my father did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning