Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 02:11 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,082,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Thank you. Just to be absolutely clear, nobody other than my husband and me have ever seen them, and this thread has convinced me that it might be time to tuck one into the container of her ashes, which will be interred with me, and let the rest go.
do whatever you feel is best. Random comments don't always mean anything. I think what you have done is a beautiful way to remember your precious baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 02:20 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,542,319 times
Quote:
I have a few photos of my first child, who was born deceased. They are in a box with her ashes on the top of my dresser. My husband and I take them out on the day of her birth each year to remember her.
what a wonderful thing to do!

Old 08-17-2022, 02:34 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
do whatever you feel is best. Random comments don't always mean anything. I think what you have done is a beautiful way to remember your precious baby.
I agree. I have the ashes of my daughter in a display cabinet in my home office. Sometimes I just like to hold the urn and touch the ashes to remind me she was once real and happy and alive. I don't care if anyone thinks it's weird!

Old 08-17-2022, 03:07 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Lord I hope not. Disgusting.
Wow. Why is remembering a loved one disgusting? Should we just kick them into a hole in the ground and pretend they never existed?
Everyone grieves differently. Who are you to judge someone who is grieving the loss of a child?

I believe it is making a comeback, why not? Many years ago, post-mortem photography was quite often the only photograph the family would have of a loved one. Photography was not as common as it is now.

Old 08-17-2022, 03:29 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
I think OB units commonly offer families a photo of a stillborn, along with footprints, just as would have been done for a live birth.

Making keepsake boxes for hospitals and parents appears to be a cottage industry now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=misc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 08-17-2022, 04:52 PM

6,793 posts, read 9,340,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Agree. Don’t let random comments dissuade you from remembering your child in the way that you would like to remember him/her.

A distant relative of mine had a stillborn child about two years ago that was nearly full term and I believe she and her husband had some pictures taken, but not to share with anyone. I’ve never seen the pictures and would never ask to see them. The situation was very sad and traumatic for them and I can’t imagine what it must be like — so if they wanted pictures and if pictures help them in some way, I support their decision.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:09 PM

164 posts, read 112,125 times
Quote:
I have a few photos of my first child, who was born deceased. They are in a box with her ashes on the top of my dresser. My husband and I take them out on the day of her birth each year to remember her.
I think that is a truly wonderful thing to do. Always to be remembered and cherished.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:10 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
I've seen online some of those old photos with a deceased child. Very sad.

Not stillborn, but my sister had a baby that she and her husband knew would die within hours of being born. There are a few pictures of the baby before he passed. My mother keeps one out and on display with pictures of her other grandchildren. Now I think I'll go cry thinking about the whole unfortunate situation.

kj and Zen--I'm sorry about the loss of your children. Two of my sisters have had children pass away at young ages. I watched their heartbreak, and had my own sadness, but I can't fully understand all of their feelings.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:13 PM

164 posts, read 112,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I agree. I have the ashes of my daughter in a display cabinet in my home office. Sometimes I just like to hold the urn and touch the ashes to remind me she was once real and happy and alive. I don't care if anyone thinks it's weird!
Not weird at all. Always remembered and cherished. I love that.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:17 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Agree. Don’t let random comments dissuade you from remembering your child in the way that you would like to remember him/her.

A distant relative of mine had a stillborn child about two years ago that was nearly full term and I believe she and her husband had some pictures taken, but not to share with anyone. I’ve never seen the pictures and would never ask to see them. The situation was very sad and traumatic for them and I can’t imagine what it must be like — so if they wanted pictures and if pictures help them in some way, I support their decision.
Oh, I'm not dissuaded from remembering her in this way by off-handed internet comments, but I hadn't really considered until reading this thread that I am ready to let go of some of those mementos, including the majority of the photos. They have served their purpose. I will tuck one special photo into the container of her ashes, and that will be enough.

I almost did not click on this thread, but I'm glad I did, and I'm also glad that I added to the conversation. Thank you all for your sweet comments. Hopefully, others will understand that pregnancy loss and stillbirth are very traumatic experiences, and each of us copes in our own way and in our own time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning