Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 06:07 PM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

@saibot
Quote:
Maybe if you get to be that old you have already lost so many friends and family members, and are also facing the imminent end of your own life, that you get more philosophical about death than younger people are
^I think so. At 91, my mother had buried my brother 15 years earlier, and ten days after my brother died, her next younger brother had died, too. Her only sister, mentally and physically disabled all her life, had died years earlier.

Two months before my mother died, her last and youngest brother died after an illness. She was the oldest of four and outlived them all.

She told me, "I don't even feel like crying. It's just part of life now."

Then she got word that her long-time best friend, 90, had died of pneumonia. We would later learn she was the first COVID death we knew. Mom called me, very sad about that news, moreso than about her brother. The two of them had done a lot of traveling as widows, played cards regularly, and laughed a lot together. Five days later I found my mother dead in bed. I suspect Esther came by and off they went on a new adventure, or so goes the story I tell myself.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:29 PM

1,204 posts, read 934,612 times
Mighty queen, I love the story you tell yourself! OP, I’m so sorry for your loss. Any death of someone you love is going to hit you hard, but some just rip you apart. As far as how we cope with a string of losses, probably everyone has their own unique way. Mine is to know that one if these days it’ll be me. Odd that that should be a comforting thought, but for me it is. Maybe it’s just giving in to the inevitable. As Phillip Larkin said, “Most things may never happen: This one will.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 05:05 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,965,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
@saibot

^I think so. At 91, my mother had buried my brother 15 years earlier, and ten days after my brother died, her next younger brother had died, too. Her only sister, mentally and physically disabled all her life, had died years earlier.

Two months before my mother died, her last and youngest brother died after an illness. She was the oldest of four and outlived them all.

Then she got word that her long-time best friend, 90, had died of pneumonia. We would later learn she was the first COVID death we knew. Mom called me, very sad about that news, moreso than about her brother. The two of them had done a lot of traveling as widows, played cards regularly, and laughed a lot together. Five days later I found my mother dead in bed. I suspect Esther came by and off they went on a new adventure, or so goes the story I tell myself.
Goose bumps - the good kind

Old 08-30-2022, 06:32 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
@saibot

I think she came by to get your mom, didn't want to leave her behind. Your sister having COVID may have been too much for your mother to take after losing her dear friend. Thankfully your sister is here still! Who knows, maybe your mother had something to do with that?

Big hugs

Old 08-30-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I think she came by to get your mom, didn't want to leave her behind. Your sister having COVID may have been too much for your mother to take after losing her dear friend. Thankfully your sister is here still! Who knows, maybe your mother had something to do with that?

Big hugs
No, my sister got COVID a year after our mother died.

But I will take hugs! Need them today.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:41 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
Sorry for your loss it's not easy losing a loved one. When you say our generation what age bracket are you referring to? I am 51 haven't lost any friends or people my age but have lost grandparents, a father aunts and uncles.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Sorry for your loss it's not easy losing a loved one. When you say our generation what age bracket are you referring to? I am 51 haven't lost any friends or people my age but have lost grandparents, a father aunts and uncles.
I lost both inlaws, then both parents, then my younger brother, and finally MY HUSBAND, while I was in my fifties. I lost my grandmother when I was around 40. Lost my other grandmother when I was a teen.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I lost both inlaws, then both parents, then my younger brother, and finally MY HUSBAND, while I was in my fifties. I lost my grandmother when I was around 40. Lost my other grandmother when I was a teen.
I think you're due for a break.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
I think you're due for a break.
You aren't kidding. And I am not a sad, tragic, or even melodramatic sort of person! But dang.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:11 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
I have a friend who said her mother had died from a lengthy illness. After the funeral service and the meal the family went home and her dad, in his 80s, said all that wore him out and was going to take a little nap. Then he died in his sleep. This was super hard on the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning