Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

People Who Prepare

Group Created by AliceT

Some say you are obsessive complulsive, others believe you are paranoid and still others think you are just plain nuts. The deal is this, when the flood waters come or the strong storms blow in or a plague hits or the trucking industry takes a nosedive and all the things we all take for granted simply can't be obtained, there we will be, eating well, baking bread and surfing the internet on battery power. We prepare. Its what responsible people do.

View All Members Showing 10 of 54 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 21 to 26 of 26
  1. 10-21-2008 02:07 PM - permalink
    MomNlovNit
    Yipee, I finally found a group where I fit in! This is great and I am so excited to be among others who feel the need to protect and feed their families through thick and thin. I don't live in Alaska (although I have always longed to), but live in Denver. I have been pretending that I live in Alaska, and have learned how to store food for 6 months. I am now learning how to store food for years, but my DH is starting to worry. I have been buying food in bulk for the past year, and my pantry is becoming quite impressive. I lived in a Natl Park for a couple of years and learned from many of the visitors what 'not to do' as far as survival techniques. I keep everything I need in my car, incase of emergency, flood, fire, or other. The only thing I am lacking right now, is a power generator. I live in the city, but I also worry about the power, and if it went out, our freezer storage would perish. I have learned to cook with a Dutch Oven in our firepit in the back yard, and keep a cord of wood on hand for winter. We have a wood burning stove so we don't have to rely on the power company for anything (except my internet connection - boo hoo!) I am looking into solar but it is pretty expensive. I have a garden, and have started building a green house (that I am thinking about heating to have year round veggies). I don't want to live in this city, but that is where we are right now. So while I am here, I will continue to learn from seasoned veterans like some of you in this group, and perhaps, someday, we can move to a place with more land (for my orchard, and live stock dream to come true).
  2. AliceT
    07-25-2008 07:20 PM - permalink
    AliceT
    My husband was a Depression era child. As a result of that, he swore in his adulthood that he would never again eat rice. His family was so poor that rice was all they could afford. His mom prepared it every possible way, but all he remembered was that he was sick of rice - to the point that he hated it. And he followed through on that promise to himself. He never would eat rice no matter how it was prepared or with what.

His mom was equally affected by the Depression She would never throw anything away. She saved everything - water jugs, butter tubs, everything. She had several sets of butter tubs in the cupboard that she referred to as her cereal bowls. I can't even imagine what they went through or what the Depression was like. But I think it will come again - in this lifetime.
  3. Blueberry
    07-25-2008 05:05 AM - permalink
    Blueberry
    Thanks for starting this group, Alice! It will be interesting to see other people's perspectives on this.
  4. Blueberry
    07-25-2008 05:00 AM - permalink
    Blueberry
    Alice, I like your outlook, too! My mother was a Depression era child, so she and her siblings grew up and mentally vowed never to be hungry again. While my mother couldn't afford much, we did have a very basic pantry that ensured we wouldn't run out of the staples. We probably could have lasted about a month with the little we had. I guess that mentality rubbed off on me, but my siblings never seemed to catch on.

When we got married, my husband and I lived in an 800 sf condo, but it had a good sized pantry, so we had a small stash of food. The stash grew when we moved to a house, but it didn't become extremely large until we moved to the Alaskan bush. Although the first bush community we lived in had three good sized grocery stores, it made economic sense to stock up on staples from the Big City and have them flown in. We relied on the local stores for the perishables and occasional treat. We live in a much smaller community now, and the local stores cannot possibly carry everything the people in the community might possibly need or want. It's marginal that they even have the desired perishables.

Like you, life's lessons have indicated it is only prudent to prepare for the unexpected:

1) When I was very little, a tornado blew through our area. I can remember taking shelter in the basement. I'm sure services were out for awhile (I was too young to notice), but my family was prepared with the basics.

2) I lived in the San Francisco area at the time of the 7.2 earthquake in 1989. Phone service was down. Several areas went without basic services, and people who turned off their gas waited up to a month to have it turned back on. News reports detailed the many people who had absolutely no survival items in their cars, not even a basic first aid kit or drinking water. Although it would have taken me about an hour to walk home from work, I still kept basics in the trunk of my car, and I always kept a pair of walking shoes with me. We also had a storage unit nearby that contained some camping supplies and food in case our condo got destroyed. Our hope was that at least one of the structures would survive a natural disaster.

3) September 11, 2001, was an interesting day in bush Alaska. Planes are the lifeblood of our communities, but all planes were grounded for several days. There were hunters in the field who were expecting a plane to pick them up, but the plane didn't arrive when expected. Those poor people had no idea what was happening! At least one group had half their party leave camp, expecting the plane to return for the rest. When the plane didn't show up, the ones that were left behind feared the worst. Thankfully, they had been smart enough to divide basic essentials in case of an emergency although they never really expected to face one. I remember going to the grocery store several days later, expecting to see empty shelves as a result of panic buying and lack of planes bringing in supplies. Surprisingly, the store was pretty well stocked. It seems people in that community, at least, were pretty well equipped to face temporary setbacks.

4) I had friends who were traveling in Seattle when an earthquake hit there. The city shut down, and my friends couldn't find a single restaurant open for business, nor were the grocery stores. Travelers were stuck with what they had brought with them or had to rely on the meager offerings of hotel vending machines. Needless to say, my friends were very hungry. Although I've always traveled with a small amount of snacks, I've increased the amount because of my friends' experiences and the news reports about stranded travelers in the wake of 911. My carry on luggage always has quite the assortment of food, clothing, and personal hygiene items!

5) My community has been cut off from the outside world on several occasions because of fires somewhere in the state making it impossible to fly. One year, fire was threatening my village, and the residents were preparing to evacuate by boat. One would have thought that would have taught the locals of the necessity to have basic supplies readily accessible, but most are still completely clueless. When someone tried to address this issue as a community concern a couple of years ago, most of the locals naively stated the local stores (very small!!!) would be able to supply whatever needs they faced. Only a few people have ever seen my pantry. They are always impressed with what I have and state that they know where to go if the world falls apart. I honestly wish I had the means of preparing for everyone, but I don't! I'll gladly share what I have, but it won't go far.

So, there you have it! These are only some of my experiences that have led me to think about survival and basic preparation. Add to that the Dot.Gov warnings about natural disasters and terrorism. Most importantly, IMO, is that I have read the Bible and I'm convinced ours is the generation that will see all the dire end-time prophecies come true. Whether it's end-time prophecies or terrorism, there is an undercurrent in this country that something big is on the horizon. I know only a few people who are trying to prepare for such an eventuality. Thankfully, a couple are in my community. We're hoping the community will pull together in an attempt to survive.

Although I don't think it's possible to be completely prepared if that should come to pass, I'll do what I can to help. Ultimately, I'll trust the Lord to be faithful and see me through whatever situation I face. He has promised to supply all my needs!
  5. jan_cork
    07-25-2008 01:15 AM - permalink
    jan_cork
    I like your out look, I was not prepared once, for a major storm. never again. i am at 43 and learning to be perpared. I know a bigger storm is on the way, i just hope i am ready when it gets here
  6. AliceT
    07-24-2008 04:40 PM - permalink
    AliceT
    I once needed a quarter to call home and had no change at all. Never since then have I been without change - lots of it!

I once needed an umbrella and didn't have one. Never since then have I not had an umbrella. Two in the car, one in the shed, two in the house and one at the place I volunteer.

I once ran out of gas. My tank is as good as empty when it reaches the half tank mark. I fill my tank as often as possible and NEVER let it get below a half tank.

I was once out of vanilla when making cookies. Never again.

I have survived a tornado and five hurricanes. I believe in being prepared...

I once was hungry..... Nothing in my kitchen surprises me. It makes me feel "safe" knowing that I have:
    100 pounds of rice
    200 pounds of flour
    200 pounds of sugar
    20 pounds splenda
    5 pounds confectioner sugar
    100 pounds of brown sugar
    100 pounds of honey
    100 pounds dry beans
    25 pounds dry pasta
    55 (big) cans of ground coffee
    25 pounds of whole coffee beans vac sealed in a freezer
    6 jas of instant decaf coffee
    6 jars instant regular coffee
    5 gallon containers of gourmet instant coffee
    20 pounds chocolate chips
    13 bottes of vanilla extract
    6 bottles imitation vanilla extract
    25 whole vanilla beans (vac sealed, kept in a dark place)
    5 cases of canned tuna (running low on this)
    4 gallons mayo
    4 gallons mustard
    5 gallons tomato sauce
    2 cases instant dry milk
    6 cases freeze dried fruits and vegetables
    1 case dehydrated whole egg powder
    3 dozen eggs
    12 gallons assorted oils including extra virgin olive, corn, canola, peanut, sunflower and vegetable
    12 tubs lard
    12 cans shortening
    10 pounds (40 sticks) butter
    4 pounds baking soda
    4 pounds baking powder
    1 #10 can yeast
    40 containers baking cocoa
    2 freezers full of meats

Rather than give you couns on everything, let me give you a clue: I was once out of toilet paper. I once couldn't find a washcloth. I couldn't find a potholder once. I once couldn't find a pen. Once, I couldn't find my glasses... You get the drift.

I shop at Sam's Club every other week whether I need to or not. Goal: Never again be hungry. Never.

And that's just the list for the house I live in (yes, it's just me). I have a vacation place further north where I have another fully stocked kitchen so complete that all I need to add is me.

I didn't list the things I have "normal amounts" of. I also didn't list how much toilet paper or bug spray or bars of soap I always have. I know I am not alone. Who else? What do you stock and what amount do you need to feel comfortable?