Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Retired Singles

Group Created by ConeyIsBabe

Now that you have retired from work, either because of years/age eligibility or health issues, what do you plan on doing the rest of your life? It's easier when you have a built-in support system as a married couple, but starting a new life as a single person is more daunting. Do you plan on relocation? Where? How do you make new friends? Let's share ideas. Are you counting the days to retirement? Wannabees are welcome to join this social group and share your concerns. Please post something to keep our group on the top of the list. Please post your favorite photos !

View All Members Showing 10 of 116 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 9 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 231 to 240 of 240
  1. esselcue
    09-10-2008 09:39 AM - permalink
    esselcue
    Hey-ho! I will be retired as of January, 2009...so I am almost there! I will turn 62 on October 1st and hope to relocate to the northern Idaho area after I retire (if an when I sell my house here in AZ). Love the idea of this group! By the way, my name is Susan
  2. ConeyIsBabe
    09-09-2008 06:50 PM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    WELCOME nancy thereader! OK.... LOL ....... I'll tell you where to move. Since you are a retired single you must move to a location where there are many options for you to socialize and find a support group of new friends! Unless you are a very outgoing person who makes new friends instantly, perhaps one of those active adult communities might be a good choice.

When I relocated out west with a gentleman friend, I fell in love with my Oregon Dream Home and didn't consider the fact that I'm out in the country (beautiful as it is) with very few options for making new friends and I'm not very outgoing. My main source for networking is the fitness center and I could probably volunteer for many good community services but I'm not willing to commit to anything. Besides, in the winter I'm not brave when it comes to driving on black ice and when it gets dark at 4:30PM I wanna be home and not driving for fear of hitting Bambi !

P.S. yes, that's my house.

LOOKING FORWARD to others posting some photos !
  3. nancy thereader
    09-09-2008 05:23 PM - permalink
    nancy thereader Moderator
    well, I have found the page (finally). Is that your house, coney ? It looks very Oregonian in the photos.

Please don't tell me that I won't be able to find pizza & Jewish rye bread in the west. It's where I want to move. I hope to move this spring. I have just retired and I guess that I have many choices as to where to move. I almost wish someone would just tell me I had to move to a certain place. All these choices are overwhelming !
  4. ConeyIsBabe
    09-09-2008 12:20 PM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    Hi SeeBee ! WELCOME !

Searching the west for a good Jewish Deli ? LOL ........ I'm searching the west for a good slice of pizza !! I think we both have to head east to NYC - LOL !

Speaking of affordable locations, I think the Rogue Valley and Evans Valley are very economical places to live for a retire who doesn't have to work. Of course, it's not like the "big city" of Portland, but a nice lifestyle. I'm just a little cranky in the winter when my activities are restricted due to the frost!

MN2CO....... I don't have any long term care insurance, just medicare and the supplement by AARP. I think it's expensive, though.
  5. Wicked Felina
    09-09-2008 11:02 AM - permalink
    Wicked Felina
    Hi, all...I'm almost there, but not quite! I check the retirement forum and other states' threads, to try and get an idea which areas are so attractive to some, and why. I live in Portland, Oregon and having been looking for an affordable place to eventually retire to. I know, affordable is relative!
    I really like it here, other than the looming taxes on SS and retirement pensions, but would like to get a little bit of land, if possible.

Knoxgarden, tell us what's so special about Knoxville to you, if you would?
    ConeyIsBabe - you pics are so lovely and peaceful!
  6. Umbria
    09-08-2008 08:43 PM - permalink
    Umbria
    Here's a question I will go ahead and ask now - I was going to wait until more people had signed up: Do you have long Term Care Ins? With whom? Happy with it?
  7. Umbria
    09-08-2008 08:28 PM - permalink
    Umbria
    I don't know what to tell you - I randomly prune - no real process - never had a problem - they just grow -grow-grow. I'm sure you do this - fertlize, either alk or acidic depending on the type. One of my favorites is the Limelight (lime green) - great outside & inside. MY favorite rose is Julia Child, but, last winter was extremely cold (believe it or not, MN winters have gotten milder) and I lost all 4 Julia Child plants as well as about 10 others. I gave up on anything but rose "bushes". Are your hydrangeas getting old, maybe? I do think sometimes they just wear out (kind of like people!) I've also read that the soil in gardens can become "bad". There's a whole chemistry explanation to it but basically you need to replace the soil. I've heard this happening with roses more often than other things. My neighbor had lilacs that just kept getting thinner and produced less and less flowers so she ripped them out and replaced them. They had been there a long time. You may want to search the WEB for other ideas. You have a hugh property. Mine isn't that big, but it's big -bigger than I want to deal with anymore. I will always need at least a small yard to "play in".
  8. ConeyIsBabe
    09-08-2008 07:07 PM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    WELCOME scarppinJudy.... first to join!

WELCOME MN2CO !! You would love my grounds, it's 3.77 acres with a deer-fenced rose garden. I'll post some photos later. I have some lovely hydrangeas that did very well the first two years I owned the property, but this year.... terrible. Either the early frost stunted them, or they were improperly pruned..... but out of about 8 large bushes, only one had decent blooms. What should I do ??
  9. Umbria
    09-08-2008 06:51 PM - permalink
    Umbria
    Hello - I'm from Mpls (burb=Edina). I also am a gardener - favorirt flowers/shrubs = hydrangea (all varieties) and roses. Roses are tuf to keep going in this climate, but my hydrangeas are gorgeous - great for cutting now. I always dry most of them so I have garden flowers all winter. I plan to relocate - summers here are great but winters are too long. I love the ocean, but, I visited FL and too crowed, expensive, and the weather doesn't suit me. CA - well, there are reasons so many people from CA are leaving. I love the mountains so I am looking at Colordo Springs, CO and I am also going to look at NM (Las Cruces, ALB, and maybe Santa Fe). I have 2 dogs & 1 cat and they are my family. I worked for US West for 26 years as a Project Manager (and many other positions). I traveled to many of states in our region (everything west of MN except CA & NV), including OR/WA. Portland was a beautiful city as was Seattle (did the space needle). Glad you started this!!!
  10. ConeyIsBabe
    09-05-2008 06:42 PM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    HELLO ! I'm single and I'm retired. So, let's see if we can share information with others in this same situation. Thanks for joining and please post something to maintain this social group.