Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Bible talk

Group Created by Hoosier

This group is for Christian believers to discuss the Bible, theology and how it impacts our lives in the 21st century

View All Members Showing 10 of 694 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 18 Picture(s)
howest2008 thoroughly enjoying himself at Pismo Beach California
From Howest2008
Taken January 2015
From Toolyps
Walker Green 007
From Fortoggie
Tulsa Downtown Historic Church
From Howest2008
images 23
From shecat
Showing Social Group Messages 1101 to 1110 of 2138
  1. margaretlynn288
    06-09-2011 05:36 AM - permalink
    margaretlynn288
    City,

If you took my post to mean that helping people was somehow a bad thing, you misunderstood. Everyone wants to better the world, my main point I tried to make was, bettering the world begins with perfecting ourselves.

How do you plan to better the town you live in ?

Is good to read, societies woes is nothing new though, people have been trying to change others since time immemorial, we are not dealing with any issues that were not seen as societal woes in, like, forever, since not long after the garden of Eden anway, and no one has straightened them out yet. How do you propose to do this?
  2. the city
    06-09-2011 12:15 AM - permalink
    the city
    Ha ha. You advice was very kind and interesting. I will keep it in mind, but I think I will still try to change the world and my future proffession is who that tries to fix those are addicted to drugs. In the moment, I been reading books about society's woes and greed. And of course, I want to better the the town/city I live in.

And still want to call some one at the college I'll be attending a greedy pig. But alas God would not want me to.
  3. margaretlynn288
    06-08-2011 10:03 PM - permalink
    margaretlynn288
    City ,

An old Rabbi named Hillel once told a young man who had asked him to describe the Jewish teachings and do it on one foot, the Rabbi replied "do to others as you would have them do to you, the rest is all commentary. Now go, and learn. "

You worked hard for what you received, that is good, matters little that your location as well, played any part in your good fortune. You did what you were suppose to do and you had nothing to do with the other issues, so why beat yourself up over it?

Maybe you worry too much about things that are just as Hillel pointed out to the young man above, the commentary has become to important to you. You don't have to change the world, City, you just have to deal with yourself.

I have a friend who's son sounds a lot like you, but he is always worrying about things that aren't any of his business, I tell him the same thing as I am telling you, mind your own business, work on yourself and your relationship with the spirit of God that resides inside you. And don't worry about who is paying off who, that is Gods business.
  4. the city
    06-08-2011 09:09 PM - permalink
    the city
    So I know I'm probably get bible versed from everything I'm about to say...

But I got into the college of my choice through hard work and stupid hurdles. But realizing through all the hurdles I went to. I realized all my sucess is due to my location and the f*ing image I have to put on. Just because I went to a certain high school and money goes from my high school to the college. And I feel like I want to go and call people over their pigs because people who never have the chance to succeed or get financial support can't go to that college.

Further more, businesses in the college town all have a dang attitude. And people there get payed way too much and with all that money there is no help for all the homeless. And further more it's a college town which means bars galore. And some of the city council members were payed by developers. And further more the citizens re-elected those councilmembers.

And there are several churches over 1,000 in that town. But I can't say it makes up for the rich, college, and liberal controlled town.

So I been putting all my efforts to helping my town which is more conservative and more Christian-based. By spreading the word and writing in the newspaper in how we can make a change.

Not sure if all my effort will pay off anytime soon.
  5. margaretlynn288
    06-08-2011 08:04 PM - permalink
    margaretlynn288
    Robert - "I can identify a little with your suspicion of courts and authorities."

It isn't about suspicion, I firmly believe it is unbiblical for a follower of the One, Almighty God, to sit in judgement in order to exact retribution/punishment on another and the various places in the bible that make this clear to me are several, including the woman whom was brought before Jesus to be stoned, she too was a lawbreaker, and there are other instances where Jesus made it clear, if you are not pure in spirit then you are taking matters into your own hands and that is what is done when anyone sits on a jury for the courts.

I dont' recall anything where Jesus said, "oh, no problem, so you are a liar, a gossiping backbiter, a glutton," or the myriad of other sins that Christians seem to think are minor to God, " but go ahead, cast stones, be a party to punishment on those who are no different then you. Not according to God anyway.

And unlike the average religionist, I am perfectly willing to be corrected here. But it must be backed up with nothing but scripture reported to be from Jesus , in context, it must not be just a one or two liner taken out, it must follow the prevailing story line, because if we know our bible, there is a common theme running through the entirety of what Jesus taught and this is what I take to be the WAY.

Anything else would be intellectual dishonesty. Jesus either taught it or he didn't and if he didn't then anyone else is within their right to buy it if they so choose, I don't.
  6. margaretlynn288
    06-08-2011 07:49 PM - permalink
    margaretlynn288
    I agree Robert, on many of your points and if my strident demeaner is unsettling for you, I will tone it down a bit, but I wont apologise for standing up for the truth. I don't have to stand before man and accept Jesus as my lord and saviour and then go about the worlds business and act as if half of all Jesus said was suggestive, and should I fail to do this well then, I am the one who gets to be some kind of cult follower, no I propose, and I will stand by it, that it is those in the Christian church today who are the cult followers, and not I.

More freedom than anywhere else for what, Robert ?
    I know Jews, I know Muslims, native Americans, VooDoo practicioners, none of these have any issues with me practicing my faith, including sharing what Jesus said to share with the world, and neither do the leaders in most of the countries these people come from.

I don't have to be party to trying to convert anyone to a different religion, Jesus never said to convert people to a different religion. Jesus was a jew and so too were his disciples, and none of those whom Jesus commissioned before ascending back to God ever converted to Christianity, as far as anyone knows, they remained jews til they died.

No where in scripture is Jesus reported to have commissioned a new religion, let alone Christianity. So going around the world and telling people that they must convert to Christianity in order to have salvation is a lie, a blatant lie, that is taught by religion, not Jesus.

Matthew 19:16-21 is about a man who came to Jesus and asked him what good he must do to obtain eternal life. Jesus told him, in no uncertain terms, "why do you ask me about what is good? There is only ONE who is good, if you want to enter life, obey the commandments."

The man asked " which ones?"

Jesus replied, listing all of the commandments to which the man then replied that he had kept all of them and he asked Jesus what do I lack.

Jesus replied back " if you want to be perfect, go, sell everything, give it all away to the poor that you may have treasure laid up in heaven, then follow me."

What part of this is lacking in what Jesus said to do in order to have salvation?
    Am I to believe that he only meant this for just this one man, that all this man had to do was obey the commandments but the rest of us have to convert to a different religion?
  7. swbtoo
    06-08-2011 06:22 PM - permalink
    swbtoo
    Robert, I'm not leaving here. I'm just not going to engage in debate with someone who attacks me. I find all the other folks who have been participating quite interesting.
  8. the city
    06-08-2011 02:05 PM - permalink
    the city
    I moved on to round two! Pray for second interview tomorrow same time same place.
  9. Robert M Prince
    06-08-2011 07:57 AM - permalink
    Robert M Prince
    City - I am already listed as one of your friends. Best wishes on your interview outcome at Staples.
    Southward Bound - We will miss your posts. I also am uncomfortable with the strident attacks, but sometimes they have some element of truth in them.
    I believe OSB quoted the passsage in 2 Tim. 2 [24] And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    [25] In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
    [26] And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
    Feel free to monitor us and jump back in when you are able.

Margeretlynn - I am greatly concerned that so many denominations fail to follow the last part of the Great Commission of our Lord and Savior in Matt. 28 [20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you.
    Heb. 5 says: [8] Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
    [9] And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him.
    I can identify a little with your suspicion of courts and authorities. At one time I became uncomfortable about swearing in court, since Jesus said in Matt. 5:[33] Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
    [34] But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
    [35] Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
    [36] Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
    [37] But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
    Then, when I learned that the courts allow a person to say "I affirm." Now when I'm asked if "I swear to tell the whole truth", I feel quite at ease in saying "I affirm" to tell the whole truth, and to testify as duty calls on me to do so. Our government may have many faults but I feel we have more freesom in this country than anywhere else on earth.
  10. the city
    06-07-2011 10:55 PM - permalink
    the city
    Btw if anyone wants to be my friend plz feel free to add me. And I am wanting some one to message right now.