Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a moderated group.

Runners' World

Group Created by SteelCityRising

As an avid runner and marathon trainer, I am hoping that this group will become an exciting place to discuss your fitness regimines, workout goals, race experiences, etc. for experienced competitive runners or just how a brisk power-walk or jog can permit oneself to meditate and undergo a natural catharsis for those who are recreational enthusiasts. I hope to foster an environment in which more advanced members can feel free to share their tips, advice, wisdom, etc. unto less experienced runners in hopes of growing this very healthy yet underappreciated hobby and fitness activity. As with my other groups this one will be strictly moderated in accordance with the City-Data terms of service. Anyone who violates them through harassment, personal attacks, profane language, illegal usage of copyrighted images, etc. will be disciplined. Otherwise come on in and strive onwards towards the finish line! :-D

View All Members Showing 10 of 24 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Canes2006Champs
    07-19-2010 10:37 PM - permalink
    Canes2006Champs
    I guess so too lol.
  2. funkykatt
    07-14-2010 09:45 PM - permalink
    funkykatt
    I guess this section doesn't get much action? Everyone must be out running.
  3. Canes2006Champs
    02-06-2009 09:50 AM - permalink
    Canes2006Champs
    Hi phloxy, welcome. Spring for me is the best time to get that runners high.
  4. phloxy
    02-02-2009 12:08 AM - permalink
    phloxy
    Hi all! Thanks for adding me. Just a quick intro. I'm in my mid-30s, was a track and x-c runner in high school and college. Now I run mostly for pleasure and mental health benefits. I get competitive now and then. I completed the LA Marathon in '04 (4:13:00 in 87 degree heat). I was training for a second marathon when I slipped on ice and hurt my knee in '05. That ended my marathon aspirations for a good long while, sadly. Would like to train for another marathon but have contented myself with half marathons. I'm slowly working my way back, I think, and relocating to a warmer climate, where I'll have a chance to train at altitude and do a lot of cross-training. My Sunday long runs are back, which I love. Spring in the northeast (still a long way off, I know) will bring better opportunities for real training. For now, I'm just trying to maintain a base. Happy running to all! There's really nothing like that runner's high.
  5. Canes2006Champs
    01-16-2009 08:52 PM - permalink
    Canes2006Champs
    hey cool, I never noticed this one before. I'm a pretty big runner myself, ran cross-country in high school and was hoping to get a scholarship for a college team, but, didn't work out.
  6. dbittner
    08-29-2008 09:28 AM - permalink
    dbittner
    I have come across a great running event. It is hosted by John "The Penguin" Bingham of Runner's World. It is a runner's cruise where you get to run in different ports. The local runner's clubs hosts these runs. They are awesome. The URL is http://www.runningcruise.com/ - check it out, it was great fun.

7. nicolem
    06-04-2008 10:27 AM - permalink
    nicolem
    Ultrarunner-that is great about your mom! I hope to still be running strong at her age. Kudos to her!!!

Nicolem
  8. Ultrarunner
    06-03-2008 01:11 AM - permalink
    Ultrarunner Moderator
    I'm mostly in a support role these days... my 74 year old mom is still running... she did a 50k two weeks ago and loves 50m Ultras
  9. nicolem
    06-02-2008 05:55 AM - permalink
    nicolem
    Good morning everyone. I got out early and did a 4 mile run and will head to the Y to lift. I live in New Hampshire but am currently down in Florida as my mom is ill. Oh boy it is sooo humid out here. I would rather run in cold, rain, snow, etc. than humidity anyday. I was dripping before I even got started. If I don't get out very early then I have to do the dreadmill and I much prefer getting outdoors.

Hope everyone has great runs today. Have a good day everyone!

Nicolem
  10. nicolem
    06-01-2008 10:05 AM - permalink
    nicolem
    Thanks for starting this social group- I look forward to chatting with other runners of all levels, abilities and enthusiasm. I have been a runner since I was a child- for as long as I can remember- I ran somewhat competitively through high school and college. My husband and I actually won lottery positions for the Vermont City marathon a couple of years ago. However, a few months before the marathon I started having severe gallbladder and gall stone issues and was hospitalized quite a few times. I became very weak from all the meds, etc and have been buillding up my enduance for the last 6 months. This was a real bummer as I had been healthy and active prior to this and was so looking forward to the marathon. I look forward to returning to my running form and to try and get in shape to be competitive, as I turn 40 in December and that is a very competitive age group. We have some 5k's this summer, a half marathon in the fall and if all goes well-Vermont City in 2009.

I look forward to reading about everyone's experiences and hopefully reading some great race reports as well.

Nicolem