Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Nunley's and Smiley's Happyland Former Employee's

Group Created by Rosemary Gunyan

Looking for people who used to work at Nunley's Carousel and Smiley's Happyland, or family and friends of them.

View All Members Showing 2 of 2 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. pmadsen
    01-20-2011 02:26 AM - permalink
    pmadsen
    Not an employee here, but we used to go there a lot in the 50s and 60s. You could reach for a brass ring while on the carousel, and I remember that cat with the fish in its mouth. Was the fish green? I think so. The carousel music was memorable. There's a Wikipedia entry for Nunley's now; perhaps it will tell you more. God bless!
  2. Rosemary Gunyan
    05-03-2009 05:53 AM - permalink
    Rosemary Gunyan
    I am looking for people who used to work for Nunley's Carousel and/or Smiley's Happyland. My dad and my brothers used to work there and I am looking to find any former employee's that knew them or have any old pictures of Nunley's and Smiley's Happyland. My dads name was Alfred, my brothers Alfred and John last name Gunyan. Back in the fifties we lived in a house that was practically built in the parking lot. The street name was Millburn Ave in Baldwin. I have a picture of when my sister was twelve playing in the yard dated 1958 and can see Nunley's in the background. Our neighbor was Andy Fitzpatrick who also worked there. All of my brothers and sisters including myself were practically brought up on those amusement rides. Yestersday being 5/2/09 was a very emotional day for my family and I being Nunley's Carousel had been restored and rode again for the first time in 12 years and my sister and my grandaughter got to ride it. Unfortunately for me I live in Florida now and was unable to be there but they did call me while they were there and they put their cell phone on speaker phone so I could hear the carousel music and the bell ding when it was getting ready to start. Tears of joy and sadness, being my dad has passed away and all the memories came flooding back. Please if there is anyone who knows my family or has any old photos they would like to share it would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately we don't have any photos, guess some things people take for granted. Maybe you have friends or family members who used to work there and frequent alot. As far as Smiley's Happyland my father use to run the carousel there to until about 1970. My favorite horse there was the cat with the fish in its mouth. Does anyone have a picture of that horse. I am writing a family history book and would be estactic if I could find anyone with info to share.
    Thanks,
    Rosemary Gunyan