Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a moderated group.

Unhappy Owners of Weiss Homes

Group Created by XrayEyes
View All Members Showing 10 of 10 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 31 to 40 of 40
  1. WHsux
    01-17-2010 11:56 AM - permalink
    WHsux
    So, what is the status with Weiss Homes?
  2. XrayEyes
    12-01-2009 08:52 PM - permalink
    XrayEyes
    Weiss has yet to resolve the rest of our problems. I've got news for them..."I have not yet begun to fight".
  3. XrayEyes
    11-13-2009 09:06 PM - permalink
    XrayEyes
    Okay all you unhappy Weiss homeowners...your long wait is over! A meeting was held today with attorneys which have been retained to investigate class and/or group actions against Weiss Homes.

Unfortunately, too many have been victims of the arrogance and "alledged" negligence (even gross negligence?) of Weiss Homes. Even with recent court victories (Weiss guilty of fraud) David and Rita Weiss have shown no signs of willingness to right the wrongs for which they are responsible. Even Brian Miller, VP of Operations, and Kim (or Kym as she likes to be called) Baker, VP of Sales, are not likely to avoid scrutiny in what is to come.

What will be reaped in the coming harvest is the result of what has been sown by those in charge of the planting...
  4. XrayEyes
    11-07-2009 10:10 PM - permalink
    XrayEyes
    Lets see...unhappy in Willowgate Trails...unhappy in Northbridge Valley...unhappy in Farmington Hills...unhappy in Norland Park...unhappy in Lafayette Falls...unhappy in Victorian Farms...There seems to be a pattern here.

No wonder they have to lock the office doors at all times.
  5. XrayEyes
    10-16-2009 11:23 PM - permalink
    XrayEyes
    Attorneys have been retained in regard to a class action lawsuit against Weiss Homes. The initial investigation is currently in process.

If you contracted with Weiss Homes and still own the house you could be a potential class member.

If you think this may apply to you or someone you know, email your contact information. There is a class member meeting forming soon.
  6. XrayEyes
    06-30-2009 10:00 AM - permalink
    XrayEyes
    Weiss Homes cut off/canceled/discontinued the electricity to my unfinished home!!
  7. XrayEyes
    06-28-2009 09:45 PM - permalink
    XrayEyes
    Based on my experience and the comments of others, management issues during construction are not uncommon. A construction manager is usually handling several jobs at the same time and it isn't always easy for him to keep on top of each sub on each jobsite. Here are a few general suggestions:

I.
    Beware of a builder who isn't interested in keeping you fully involved in the build process! The best builders prefer homeowners who ask questions and try to understand what is going on, knowing that an informed customer is a happy customer.

II.
    Keep a journal. Record what you see as construction progresses. Most new homeowners are excited and this process of recording can be just as interesting and exciting for you. Write down events, meetings, discussions as soon as they happen so that your thoughts are fresh. Include dates and plenty of pictures. Some have made nice albums out of the entire process. At the same time, you never know when this journal may come in handy. If so, you have a very helpful collection of potential evidence.

III.
    Talk to the building inspectors about your home. Consider being pressent for the inspections. Most appreciate homeowner involvement and are more than willing to answer questions. If there are code corrections or other issues that need to be addressed, the happiest homeowner is an informed homeowner. There will usually be a building inspector, an electrical inspector, and a plumbing inspector.

IV.
    If you are in a neighborhood, talk to your neighbors-to-be. They can tell you what their experience was like. They can also tell you what sort of warranty issues they have dealt with since moving into their homes, how responsive and whether they generally fix the problem the first time or if it takes several visits to resolve the issue.

V.
    A punch list is common in construction. This is a list of items assembled during the final walk-through that are not complete. The builder may push to close the deal promising to finish these items as soon as they can and encourage you to move in right away. This is why they are in business. heowever, it is not uncommon that once you are paid in full, the builder tends to refocus on the next unfinished business. You on the other hand, begin in a new house living with the punch list daily until it is done. Ideally, you would prefer a punch list as small as possible. Decide how much to insist be completed before you close because the builder's responsibilty changes significantly once closing occurs.

VI.
    REMEMBER THE BUILDER IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS WORD. Whether talking about the contract, the resolution process, the warranty, or the quality of the product, just because it is promised or written doesn't make it reliable. Just ask anyone who ever had to test this. Disputes are ugly, expensive and favor the builder regardless of whether it is dealt with via arbitration or civil court. IF YOU HAVE TO RELY ON THE PAPERWORK, THE FIRST MISTAKE WAS RELYING ON THE BUILDER...and now you are relying on his paperwork.

As I said, these are general tips for you during construction. In my personal experience with Weiss Homes each of these has come into play to one degree or another. This was the first time I worked with a builder that I did not personally meet before signing a contract. It is one mistake I will never make again.
  8. XrayEyes
    06-24-2009 08:07 AM - permalink
    XrayEyes

This is our driveway where it meets the garage. This was taken less than 45 days after the concrete was poured! Another builder who inspected the home said the void is 8" deep and runs the entire width of the driveway. The Weiss Homes warranty claims it does not cover this concrete work...of course.
  9. XrayEyes
    06-19-2009 05:37 PM - permalink
    XrayEyes

Notice the attention to detail in the framing of this Dave Weiss design. Since it didn't pass code, Weiss had to add additional wood to strengthen this wall. (notice the various roof trusses all supported by the single 2x4 construction)

Imagine what could have happened if the inspector had missed this!
  10. XrayEyes
    06-12-2009 11:09 AM - permalink
    XrayEyes
    we "won" our case in court, but Weiss Homes is delinquent in paying the verdict. The jury found Weiss Homes in breach of contract and fraud in May 2009. Also, Weiss sought a lien in the amount of $166,000; the jury awarded them $0.