Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Parents Whose Adult Children Refuse to Speak to Them

Group Created by SunInHair

This group is for parents whose adult children refuse to speak to them providing an opportunity to share and support each other or just vent. Please join in--no invitation needed.

View All Members Showing 10 of 105 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 41 to 50 of 64
  1. slynn31520
    03-02-2013 03:49 PM - permalink
    slynn31520
    My daughter age 31 will not speak with me and I'm at a loss. She has been in a 10 year relationship with an extremely immature person, worked fast food job while she was the breadwinner. In 2011 she lost her job and 3 months later became pregnant. We lived 5 hours away. At Christmas that year (we went up there) her boyfriend approached us and quite convincingly said he wanted to follow my husbands suit (we've been married 25 years, he raised my children) and get into the marine industry and my daughter wanted to move to be close to us. We paid for his school, paid for them to move and paid for them to move into their new home. My husband gave him contacts for work, then he said he wanted to wait until after the baby was born ( 4 months away). Reminded him he still needed to find a job even if not in that industry. He finally found a part time job. In the mean time we paid for the nursery baby needs etc, my daughter then informed me she did not want me at the hospital when her child was born because they wanted it to be just the two of them (her boyfriend has no parents). Although hurt I said nothing. After he was born I continued to buy clothes, diapers etc. he has done nothing about finding a job in the industry he claims he wanted other than sending resume without follow up. I have been letting my daughter work in my shop to fill the gap. 4 weeks ago they came in my store and said they were getting married but the date they picked conflicted with her stepdad being home (he works offshore). I asked them to pick another date but the boyfriend said that date worked for them. I told them that I was deeply disappointed and thought they should change the date out of respect for my husband. Since then she refuses to speak with me, I've found out through my son that they blame us for him not having a better job, and they wish they never moved here. I might add that I've offered to pay for college for my daughter but she says she can never leave her son (he is 9 months old), nor have I ever babysat.
    I gave her space then called and said if you want to talk call me "love you" then texted wish we could come to a happy medium and I missed her and loved her to no avail
    I feel like I am in mourning and not quite sure what to do, I miss her and my grandson and not sure what to do, I might add that my husband her stepdad is at a loss
    Thanks for letting me get this off my chest
  2. oldfashionedcountrygirl
    01-28-2013 07:43 PM - permalink
    oldfashionedcountrygirl
    I believe there is a time and a place for everything. I think that is why I somehow found this group. I have read all your stories and all but one made me want to share and let you know I empathize. My son will be eighteen very soon and I was really hoping we could at least talk and try to work things out. I raised him alone until he was 6 when his father decided the only way they'd stop coming after him for child support was to try and get 50/50 custody. He tried and was denied. This went on for three years, until his parents finally hired him a great attorney. Unfortunately this attorneys father enedd up being judge protem in family court and overseeing our case. My attorney quit as even though it was not illegal, she felt there was no way to win. I went to literally every attorney in the area, and even those in the next counties. Needless to say, because I was 'underweight' (from all of the stress) his attorney claimed I was anorexic and thus, an unfit mother, and her father ruled for them. I have seen him here and there, off and on over the years until the last two or three years. He still talks to to my parents and his cousins but refuses to talk to me. His father told him that the reason I chose to leave was because I didn't want him anymore. After all of these years, I guess the constant pounding of the lies and manipulation have hit him, and he really believes it. Can he really not remember the fun and good times we had? I also have an almost 5 year old who really wants to meet his brother. I will never lose him, this much I know, but being much older I'm not as much fun as I was when my older one was younger, will he really hate me and forget the good times as well? I had to cut off my parents as well very recently for my own sanity. I could not listen to what a perfect little angel my younger sister is...despite all the denial my parents are in, with her drug use and multiple arrests. This drove me to such perfectionism that I can see that rubbing off on my youngest currently and am watching it very closely as I wouldn't never want to put that on anyone, it makes life so much more difficult. It was hard enough losing him all those years ago, but I still had hope, should I just let it go and forget about him? Will it ever hurt less?
  3. taulery
    01-14-2013 11:55 PM - permalink
    taulery
    Hi. My son has been angry with me and my ex-husband for: getting divorced when he was a kid. My son has been and is mad at me for being poor when I left his father and in his eyes, I didn't do a good enough job. His father was an absent father, so after the divorce, I raised my two kids by myself. It was hard. I went through college in mid-life, worked part time, was hardly home, and my kids missed out on a lot. I couldn't be a Dad, so I didn't know how to be with my son in Little League. I tried to do family activities, but I spread myself too thin. I lost my temper out of frustration. My daughter has been in and out of work, has very little money, and her brother (my son) is mad that she owes him money. The house needs work, I've begun little projects, but need to pull guy friends together to move furniture, etc, and my son won't help. He's working and doesn't understand the past, or my present dilemnas. He told me he wants nothing to do with me. I'm so afraid he'll move away and I'll never see him again. He says I was a bad mother. He doesn't approve of my lifestyle (oh, I took care of my elderly mother for 12 years so the house went to pot). My heart is breaking. I call my son, but he doesn't answer his phone and I'm not allowed in his house. He is, I guess the word is stonewalling. He won't talk about any problems, just gives me the silent treatment, yet, that is exactly why I divorced his father. Can't resolve anything if you clam up. passive-aggressive. Meanhwile, my daughter and I talk out the past, she's upset about the divorce, the poverty during childhood, about me being in the hospital so much with my Mom, or away at work or college. But she and I haev resolved the past and are working on adult mother-daughter relationship. My son, however, can't bring himself to talk with me. Okay, so I made mistakes and own up to them. What more can I do? It's not like it was when the kids were growing up, so why is he holding it all against me?
  4. hrgelb
    01-10-2013 05:57 AM - permalink
    hrgelb
    I have three adult daughters. I thoughtbthat my problems with them began a few years after I married my second husband. They claim that they don't like him and that is the reason that they refuse to speak with me. I have become aware just recently that my sister has been behind these problems for more than ten years now. She has ruined my life with my daughters and my relationship with my mother. She is evil and jealous of me and always has been. My daughters seem to prefer her lies to my truths. I have now given up. I refuse to continue to beg for a relationship with them, I hope that I am doing the right thing . I have come to the conclusion that it is always about them and never about me or my life or my difficulties. If I am not available to them, then they perceive this as I am a bad mother. I actually miss my six grandchildren more than I miss them. My oldest daughter has now changed my granddaughters cell phone number twice so that I cannot reach her and communicate with her. They have all removed me from their face book page so that I could not see what was happening in their lives. Although I am better with the situation now, I still cry. I have decided that they need to come to their own decision about what is truly the problem before I can have any sort of relationship with them. It is very difficult, but I won't allow my self to be abused any longer.
  5. mypain
    11-30-2012 03:19 PM - permalink
    mypain
    Hello, I am the mother of an only child, female, age 27, who hasn't seen me or spoken to me in the majority of 6.5 yrs. I have gone on, functioned many times, done well, but it has been difficult journey. I recently lost my job, and right before that found out this past summer, my daughter is engaged & to be married next year, sometime. I handled all this until now, this week, can't function, and I am completely devasted...
  6. BugManTPC
    11-18-2012 11:00 AM - permalink
    BugManTPC
    Hi all,

I have read several life stories here and at other sites around the net. It is becoming increasingly more common for people and families to disconnect. The common thread seems to be fear and hardships.

I myself refuse to be in contact with my father. My reasons are many, but the most prevelant is, he abandoned my sister and I. I am 40. The last physical contact with the man was at the age of 5.

I know he is out there, I know he wants to make peace with me. But I don't care.

This is choice I have made, do I have doubts, sometimes. As a father myself, empathy creeps in. My rationalization is simply this, "He didn't care when I needed him most, why give in to his need now to reconcile?"

This dislocation is a product of my humble upbringing, I was left to my own devices as I was growing up, I am a loner. I am a father of three, all of my children are adults now. Our youngest just turned 18. My oldest, 21, is like me in attitude, but like her mother in emotion. When her greed and selfishness kicked in during her 1st year in college, I found myself ready willing and able to cut her off.

It was very easy for me to let her know that I don't need her, that if she continued to treat her mother and I as if we "owed" her that I would shut everything down and cut the cord.

3 months later I did. The cash stopped flowing, I repossed the car and sold it and left her to her own devices.

Guess what, she apologized, go figure. We accepted but did not change anything. She of course had a meltdown, she was so sure her ruse would work and get back to the way she wanted it.

Long story short, she is an independent woman, pays her bills, rides her bike and works her ass off. When she needs actual help, ( pick me up, take me here, take me back) or we recently loaned her a car for a weekend so she could attend a conference, we do it. She's our kid we love her. But we are not going to put up with her emotional, the world owes me, you have to give it to me , ****. I refuse.

I don't know if I am right in either regard of my life, but this is my story in a nutshell.

My advice to all of you. Stop trying to figure out what you did wrong. They are the ones with the problem. Some of these stories, the problems are psychological, most are blind greed, jealousy and impetuousness on the part of the kids and their relationships with others.

I suggest you reach out to these kids and tell them. "When you are done with your selfpitty and righteous indignation, I would like to have an adult conversation with you. I am not getting any younger and I would like to work this **** out before I go"

And before you go there, I have decided to visit my father next year. It won't go well for either of us, I won't let it, but I will at least give him an opportunity to apologize.
  7. XBusyMotherX
    11-14-2012 08:01 PM - permalink
    XBusyMotherX
    VeganJen, it's been a month since you posted, and it looks like most of the other posts are very old. I would be very open to talking to anyone going through this by regular email, telephone, etc.

I have two friends whose children died in their teens, and it's so, so hard. They will never believe I understand their pain, but in some ways I feel mine is worse, because their kids were taken from them and it wasn't their choice to leave them. Don't get me wrong, they were beautiful boys.. just wonderful young people.

But my daughter left me by choice, and she did it hatefully. I was an assertive, firm, kind, laughing, loving mom to my children when she was home. But I was also an authority, too.

My friends who lost their sons also know WHY. I don't even know why.

And so many moms wonder what THEY did to deserve this. In my husband's case, his first wife convinced him that his parents owed them a house, that because he didn't have this or that thing growing up, they owed him money. She was a hateful, manipulative, divisive influence on his relationship with his parents. So to please her, he moved his family from PA to Seattle, WA. Now, of course, he feels deeply ashamed and guilty for believing that, for not insisting that she stop meddling and saying hurtful things, for not pointing out all the things they DID do for them (and let me tell you, I couldn't BELIEVE all the things they did to help them out.. even paying off her college loan to make their new life easier!), and asking her to show some gratitude.

So sometimes, it isn't the mom's fault, or the parents fault, I should say. Sometimes it's the person most close to them in life.

My daughter is single and has few friends. She does have a manipulative woman in her life that took over the "mom" role (all the good stuff but none of the discipline I had to instill, of course).

Then again.. these are adult children, here, not babies. Old enough to reason for themselves, right?

Anyway.. I am (or was) determined not to allow her spite to determine my direction in life, or to dull the pleasure I have in my other children.
  8. XBusyMotherX
    11-14-2012 07:34 PM - permalink
    XBusyMotherX
    I am sorry to read so many stories of heartache and pain. I keep it tightly under wraps.. so when it does hit me, it hurts a lot. But... maybe I can help. ?

I went through my own distance issue with my mom when I was in my mid-20's and I know MY reason for doing so. She didn't protect us when she should have. Not having a dad around as our family progressed through trauma, I don't think it occurred to any of my siblings to blame HIM, too. It's easier to aim the emotional gun at the one who WAS there every day. At least my father could claim ignorance, but my mom couldn't. BUT, she was damned tired, working two, three jobs to make ends meet. She was beat to hell by my father and beat to hell by a society in the mid-70's that emotionally and financially whipped women for being a divorcee, for having "dirty welfare children," who blames the mother for her children's failings. She had her own private hell to live while raising four kids alone.

As children, we couldn't empathize with the awful things my mother had to endure, but as adults... there is no excuse. I forgave my mom a long time ago, and I love her so much. It feels better to love her now with a free and full forgiveness. It's clean. It helped the hurt we all felt. It helped to forgive the human that my mother is, and to understand the frailty of the mother she was when she could only do the best she could. As an adult, I see how hard it is to be everything, to everyone, how each step forward can be a monumental fight, how hard it is to protect our kids from everything, and I know I was unkind and too hard on her. I wasn't angry enough at what my dad did to her and to us. We were all abandoned, we were all orphans, and we were all... my mother included... victims. Thankfully... my epitaph will NEVER read "victim."

I pray to GOD that my daughter doesn't hate me for the same reason I kept myself and my kids from my mom. I don't think I could survive that. I find myself taking a magnifying glass to every moment of her childhood, looking for clues that she wasn't happy or someone had hurt her. I would die for my kids. I would do unspeakable things to anyone who hurt my children.. I can't help it, that's just the way it is, sure as I live and breathe.

But, her young years, she never left my side. We didn't have babysitters. If there was ever an occasion that we had to go out without our kids, my husband's mother (who lived with us, she was 48 when she had my ex, her only child, and 72 when we married) watched the kids. They went to school. They went to church with us on Sunday and sat with us.

How would I know, if she went to a friend's house in middle school and she didn't tell me if something happened? How can I protect what I don't know? Her snarky behavior began when she was 11, when we divorced. Her father moved his girlfriend into our home the day after I left, and her 13 year old daughter became his "favorite." This girl had both my kid's bedrooms - one for her room and one for sleepovers. The first visitation he had with our children, he held a yard sale and sold all our things (in direct violation of court order during divorce proceedings, he only got a slap on the wrist for it), including their toys while they sat and had to watch. They were made to sleep on the floor. The youngest, then almost 3, asked why.. and his father told him "Because my money paid for those toys. They're mine. Now they'll help me buy a new house."

The divorce papers strictly stated that we were not to make derogatory comments about the other parent to the children. I was hesitant to discuss their feelings about their dad with them. I got them into therapy so they had a neutral source to talk about things.

And, during visitation, which was one weekend twice a month, he did things like lock the boys in a bedroom with food so his new step-daughter wouldn't be repulsed by boys in the house.. and my daughter played with her. I know that once when I dropped them off, there were people I didn't know filing into his house with 24 packs of beer for a party, and when I complained to the judge, I was told that I didn't have the right to choose who their father's friends are, and their father has the right to make those choices.

I can drive myself crazy wondering why.

But I can't help thinking.. can she really hate me because the person who hurt her was her dad?????

Because.. maybe she got hurt and I couldn't figure it out by looking at her?

Or, maybe because of my own past, I didn't know how to see signs that didn't mimic my own? We DID go to my mom, she DID have a choice, and she made the wrong choice. My daughter never came to me. She never begged me not to go anywhere she didn't want to go.

Like I said... crazy.
  9. XBusyMotherX
    11-14-2012 06:26 PM - permalink
    XBusyMotherX
    Hello,

I am a birth mother to four children, and a stepmom to one. I want to start out by saying that I come from an Irish/Scottish family full of strong willed, no-nonsense women used to speaking their mind. I am in a hurting place right now, and it's hard to be that, so I am going to be forgiving of myself and I hope you don't see me as needing pity!

My first marriage was very lonely and emotionally abusive. I tended to be a caretaker when I was young, and slavishly gave everything I had to everyone in my life. But whenever I needed someone, even just for a chat, there was nobody around. I ignored that.. and happily enrolled my children in play groups, becoming involved in various causes throughout the years that didn't restrict my parenting time, so this was good enough for a while.

My first two children were a joy to me, but I was very young when I first married, so as I grew older and realized how unfair and unbalanced my marriage was, things changed. During my third pregnancy, I discovered my first husband's infidelities. I found letters where he called me horrible, horrible names and made fun of me to other women.

If I had a job, it was "for pocket money" and my "little job." When my second child turned 4, I wanted to prepare for the future, so I could begin a career when my children were all in school and I was home alone. My first husband initially said he would support my choice, but once I enrolled in classes, he began coming home later, "forgetting" my class nights so I had to miss them (three missed or late classes back then = failing the course).

I left college and took an office job which quickly proved that I could move up, earning a bonus every month without fail, and that is when it hit the fan. My 1st husband said I would never make more money than him, that I was a piece of garbage and nobody would want me. My income from work left me with exactly $15 per week to pay for gas and it never occurred to him that he was 1/2 responsible for child care expenses. To him, I was wasting our family's time because I belonged at home. Those were cold, cold years for me, but my children had the best of everything, which was important for me because I grew up poor.

Two years after this, our third and final child together was born. By 2 1/2 years old, it was obvious he was autistic. Sometimes I wonder if the stress and misery I went through might have had something to do with it.

I left my first husband at this point and went to my sister's house to get a grip on my life and start over. At my sister's house, things didn't go well. She wanted to control my checking account, because she said I was "too emotionally distraught" to handle my own finances (I told her no), then she began giving me negligees and telling me to "get back on the saddle" and date right away, also something I had no interest in. She began rifling through my things to take and throw away items she felt were un-Christian, so, this situation wasn't very good and I was desperate to find my own place. The last thing my sister did, was hack my internet contacts.. the internet was a new place in the early 90's, so I was very careful to protect my identity online. She took it upon herself to personally telephone everyone in my contacts list... the kids' pediatrician, my dentist, and some internet friends I played online games with off and on for several years. She told them all my intimate problems, about my kids.. everything. We got into a huge, huge fight that night. The next day, telephone calls started pouring in of people wanting to support me, some of them who never knew I was even female. Two days later, I got a phone call from a guy. It turned out to be someone that I was very close to online, but we didn't know each other outside of AOL. My sister convinced him that I wanted him in my state, more than 600 miles from his home where he was going through his own divorce, because I couldn't get an apartment without a male on the lease. That, at least, was true. He was 20 minutes from her house, with all his belongings, and his Dad was dropping him off. It's not very adult of me.. but that sparked the first fist fight of my adult life.

Long story short.. we did get an apartment together (both of us stuck and in agreement that my sister was certifiable), we both got our divorces, he won custody of his daughter (who was another traumatic mess.. and probably has a LOT to do with what eventually happened), and we got married. We have one son together.

This is a lot for a person to go through.. and a lot for my kids to go through. It isn't what I wanted for them. My older children never witnessed their dad and I fight, ever. We had a nice home, a few cars, and a family vacation every year. Every Christmas was magic. But now... we had a broken down apartment in an old factory town, they had to have clothing from Goodwill, no car, and pretty much no Christmas again for many years. The area was a bad place to land - there were no jobs. My new husband came east from Seattle, and had long hair, which is pretty much a death knell for job seeking in New England at the time. But I can cook, so every birthday was made special for the kids with the exception that I couldn't afford more than one or two gifts. My sons were appreciative, but the girls were not.

We went through a lot from the years 1998 through 2008 or so. In 2004, I took a job as an entry level manager for a major retailer. One by one, my children began to graduate from high school, beginning about 2007. My oldest, a daughter, took a job that lasted the summer of 2006 through my recommendation to one of our sister divisions, but she left the job because the manager was a horrid bully. After high school, she hid in her room, refused to even look for a job, slept all day, went on the internet every night until the sun came up, and brought food to her room rather than join us. She refused to talk to me. In middle school, she had a boyfriend she weote notes to - they never spent time together other than note-passing. For her 15th birthday, I told her to choose one close friend and we would go out to dinner to celebrate since all I had was a three seater truck at the time... she chose a different guy, unwilling, or too shy, to be honest with the note-passing boy and tell him it was off, so following this birthday, the boys got into a fist fight in the cafeteria over her. She wouldnt have anything to do with either of them because of it but refused to see her part in the issue. At one point in her high school years, it became apparent that she liked girls. She began dressing in men's clothing, all in black, and dyed her hair black. But she refused to "come out" about her preferences. We chose to leave her alone and give her space to be herself. As far as I am concerned, I only care that my kids are healthy and loved. If she is loved by someone... that's good enough. And anyway... it isn't my decision to make. We were okay about it, and we knew she had an "in a relationship" status with a girl from school on her social page, but if we even hinted at being open to talk she became hostile. I was very concerned because, although her website made the statement, she was acting "straight" in school, so the 1 and only talk I ever had with her on the subject was about being true to herself, to not worry so much about what others think, because they'll think what they want, anyway... to be happy... to be honest with herself at least. The only big issue I had with her was her penchant for lying or stretching the truth, because she didn't realize - or didn't care - how disrespectful and hurtful she was being of the people involved in her stories, including me. Her attitude towards me became more and more disrespectful. During the time she worked, we did a lot together.. we went to a rock concert, we went out to dinner often, and we found a lot to laugh about. She got along with my second husband very well, he has a laid back personality, loves to teach what he knows, and has a great sense of humor. But then she would throw a tantrum if I couldn't use a vacation day to take off from work and drive her to an anime convention an hour away. By this point, I had been promoted to assistant manager at one division and made a lateral move to another store division, working up to 70 hours a week.

In late 2007, our landlord decided our rent would no longer be "heat included" and began billing us $525 monthly for our 3 bedroom duplex. I suspect he was billing us for the entire building, at that price. It was in violation of our lease, but I couldn't afford a lawyer to fight it, and helplines just kept shifting me around with no answer... so we decided to move.

My daughter was, at this point, refusing to talk to us. Refusing to think about college, refusing to get a job or even look for one. She wouldn't clean up after herself or help around the house at all. She wouldn't discuss anything with me, slamming the door in my face. So, we gave her an ultimatum.
    1. Go to college, and she can continue to live with us rent-free with our full support, we can put her on our insurance if she was a FT student, we'd cover clothing, food, and transportation.
    2. Get a job, and pay us $50 per week and provide for herself as far as laundry, food, hygiene, etc.
    3. Move out.

She flipped over the amount of rent we asked of her. She said it was way too much. We invited her to look at the market on studio's and apartments, find out how much utilities cost, internet, etc. But she refused to look or admit that it was a pretty good deal.

So she chose to move out on her 20th birthday (February 2008) to the house of some friends of my parents. She told all her friends that we threw her out in the cold and she had nowhere to go. The couple assured me that they'd get her motivated, everything would be fine. She moved away with them, and we found an apartment for $175 less than the duplex and also heat AND electric included. My daughter spent Christmas 2008 with us. That summer, my next oldest, a son, graduated from high school and she accompanied us to a rock concert that was my gift to him (along with a chef knife set for culinary school). That year, she went Christmas shopping for the people she lived with and made a point of buying us pretty much.. nothing, while finding extravagant gifts for her hosts. She was working at Dunkin Donuts. Again, she spent Christmas with us.

Now, a word about these people she lives with. He worked in a youth detention center, she was a nurse. They both were over 450 pounds each. She seemed kind of quiet, he was boisterous, loud, and "father-Christmas-y". My daughter began telling me how he made her uncomfortable with his jokes, which were often of a sexual nature. She was getting into the shower with either the wife or both of them to help them scrub areas they couldn't reach. She was paying them $75 weekly for rent, but sometimes she gave them her whole paycheck because they had health problems and both lost their jobs. She babysat their grandchild for free. They treated her like she was a little child, buying gifts for a much younger person, and taking her to the movies. They bought her a car, but she didn't use it for years because she was deathly afraid of driving. I hear she got her license this summer (she's 24 now). But she did call me and spitefully ask me if I was jealous of the car, because it was one I'd admired. I was completely bewildered.. WHY would I be jealous?? I was not at all. I just didn't understand.

I did buy her an old Buick when she turned 16 to learn to drive on, but when we went to register and inspect it, it turned out to have a broken frame and couldn't be repaired.. so I was out the money and she was out the car. We had it towed to a junk yard and she was very angry with me for that, but I told her if I had the money to repair that kind of damage, it would have been better spent on a newer, safer car! She never let me live that down.

The last Christmas we spent together, I bought her a gag scratch card that, when scratched, revealed a winning amount of $1 million dollars. The boys though this was hilarious when they got theirs, and wanted to buy more for their friends... because they took the time to look at the back to see how to redeem it and found the gag punchline. She didn't. When I tried to show her the back, she snatched her hand away and.. very hatefully... said: "Don't you think you're going to get one dime of this." In fact, I think that was the first time I realized something was very, very wrong, more wrong than simply someone a little young and self-centered.

My daughter was still in touch with my parents, but when my parents did historical events with this family and my daughter was there, they discovered that my daughter was "forbidden" to see or speak with her grandparents. When I called my daughter to talk to her (because she never called me or replied to any email or snail mail that family sent her), our calls were (unknown to me) always on speaker phone. It quickly became apparent that the woman of the house was manipulating every thing I said, questioning every thing I did, and withholding some mail and gifts I'd sent. My mother reported that she kept my daughter very, very close and directed every moment of her day, controlling who she could be friends with... and my daughter allowed it. By now, she was working and paying rent, cleaning their house, weeding in their garden, babysitting...

My birth day is 10 days before my daughter's, and one week before my youngest sister. So the last time I spoke with my daughter was about plans to go out to celebrate our birthdays together when she would turn 21. We began discussing more than a month in advance. She didn't want to drink or go to social gatherings. So, we planned to drive to Boston to the Aquarium during the day, browse Quincy Market for a late lunch, and then see a surprise show in the early evening, followed by dinner at Fire and Ice on Berkeley Street after the show. She had no idea what my surprise was.. but I'd gotten three tickets to the Blue Man Group, something she LOVED and had never seen. All the tickets were non-refundable, and I bought them in advance for all of us. A week before.. my sister said it was too cold to travel, and she didn't want to go far from home. So... I substituted a girl from work who was interested in going. The day before... my daughter said she had to work. I asked her to be honest with me, but she insisted she couldn't go. I knew something was wrong.

My daughter is known for being dishonest when she doesn't want to be honest with someone, even as a child, she would ask me to call and resolve disputes with her friends, etc. When I told her she had to learn to do this herself, she wouldn't do it, preferring to wait instead for her friend to approach her, and she'd say whatever her friend wanted her to without actually saying what it was that bothered her. She wouldn't stand up for herself.. which drove me nuts! She doesn't like voicing a different opinion and shies away from any conflict whatsoever. I don't know why she couldn't just say she made other plans, and the people she lived with told her (my mom told me this year) that she didn't have any obligation whatsoever to call me and cancel plans, or to apologize to me for the money I was out.

I was out hundreds of dollars. She didn't even acknowledge the gift or the loss of the money for the tickets... anything. So my husband accompanied myself and my co-worker and we enjoyed the day. I called her at work from the car on our way to Boston to wish her a happy birthday.. and her boss said she had the day off.

When I called to ask her about it, she swore at me and told me to F off.

In 2010, I learned that she went to court and had her last name changed to theirs. By this point, I tried to tell myself that I had to write her off and live my life, but it hurt so much.

She told my parents she did it to spite my ex-husband, her father, because when we were both in town near her job for a court hearing the month after her 21st birthday, I took everyone out for lunch (at my expense) and he apparently spent too much time talking to me and not her, so she felt snubbed. I recall that lunch very differently! We all talked, caught up with each other, and my daughter spent her time deep in chat with my next-oldest, her younger brother by 2 years, virtually ignoring us! So I was left to fill in the gap with my ex.

The recession hit hard up north... and I responded by enrolling in college spring of 2008 as a full time student, in addition to my full time job in retail. I was promoted to Store Manager summer of 2010, and I graduated summer 2011 with an A.S. in Business Management. I immediately enrolled in a BA program, and over the course of the year I won awards consistently.

By summer of 2011, my mother in law in PA became very ill, with a tumor on her pancreas. She went into the hospital in July after fainting because the tumor cut off her food digestion. We feared the worst for her, and worried because my father in law had had many strokes, the last one only 6 months prior to her collapse. They had no children living nearby to help. So.. we moved south to look for a home Fall 2011 and bought a beautiful house in southern NY this spring. She made a miraculous recovery in time for release Christmas Eve, but it's been a long road for her to fully function again.

When we moved south, my mother called to tell me that my daughter was reminiscing about time with me, laughing about good times, and then telling me that my daughter missed me, and I should see if she wanted to come with us when we moved. So I emailed her around Halloween and told her about the move, that we'd found good jobs and her brother's employer was looking for more workers that pay twice what she was making now.. and her reply was:

ARE YOU HIGH? F*CK OFF, LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE.

So that's it. Every so often I see a snippet of her in photographs at my parent's historical events, but that's it. We haven't spoken on the phone since Feb. 2009.

And now, my son tells me that she has enlisted in the Marines. My mother knows, my stepdaughter knows.. and nobody but my son told ME. My parents knew about her name change months and months before I did. I only found out because she was listed on a Social Security notification for my autistic son with the name, and when I called my mom, she confirmed it.

I feel betrayed by my own family, that honors her wish that I not be included in anything, but they regularly discuss me and my life with her.

Now.. my stepdaughter had a hard life. She got a raw deal from her mom, and when she came to live with us at 8 years old, I welcomed her like a new daughter. I love her... but at the same time, there are reasons I can't trust her completely. I would do anything for her, but she can't be here in our house. Nor does she want to be, she lives in Philly with friends. However... she calls me and sends me letters that I was and am the only real mother she knows, that she appreciates how hard I worked for all of them, how I always knew the truth when other people fell for her lies, that she remembered my discipline (especially writing assignments) affectionately, how gentle I was, how fierce I fought for my kids.. how I was always there for her at her darkest hour. How much she loves me. How she can't understand..... how my own 'real' daughter could always say such hateful things about me, and that her step-sister didn't realize what she had. Her letters made me cry.

This summer, I became ill. After all was said and done, I saw an oncologist who told me I had Hodgekin's Lymphoma. For a few weeks, I really thought I wasn't going to make it, I was so tired and sick, my abdomen was so swollen... but the tests came back cancer free in my nodes. I lost my job because the doctor visits were so frequent and the insurance so costly. It didn't occur to me to reach out to my daughter during this... I worried about losing the new house, helping my boys settle into new schools, getting the youngest into Boy Scouts, etc.

My autistic son (Asberger's, it turns out) is gifted, and in his final year in high school. He plans to go on to college to be a marine biologist. My youngest is in 8th grade, very intelligent, very honest, and often comes to talk to one or both of us when he needs us. Our home is quiet and comfortable.

I didn't feel like I miss her so much. Mostly, since the rift began, I've been bewildered, confused, and a little angry with her.

But now, she's signed papers to go into the Marines. My daughter, who doesn't tell you what she's really thinking. Who was never, ever, very physical, who has pre-diabetes and hormonal deficiencies that affect her heart (for which she stopped taking medication once she left home). Someone who reads avidly and loves to write fantasy stories.... a Marine? I can't even imagine it. And then I thought about all the women stepping forward to talk about rape.. and gang rape.. that goes on, estimating 1 in 4 women in the military have experienced this... and my heart just broke again. I can't talk to her, I can't see her go. I won't know if she's deployed... I won't be the one she calls when things are tough in boot camp as I recall my siblings calling my mom.

So that's how I came to look for, and find, this site.

My hope for her is that the military gives her better life skills to be an adult, to stand up for herself, to be independent, to take personal responsibility. I am actually proud she took this step. I hope she makes lasting friends that allow her to be her true self, that won't control her. I hope she will travel and expand her mind. I hope she will decide she's smart enough and strong enough to pursue the career that will make her happy, not simply make her money.

My fear for her is that she will be hurt. That she could be lost, or die. That she will never comes to terms with whatever it is she hates me for.. and I will never hug her again before it's too late.

What the hell.
  10. veganjen
    10-18-2012 10:04 AM - permalink
    veganjen
    It seems there are many stories here. but is anyone connecting and talking? I would like to tell about what I did with my pain..
    After my eldest daughter had her first baby and then shut me out of his life..and then her 2nd..without even telling me till she was born..I went to India and spent time in Mother Teresa's orphanage where there are SO MANY kids who WANT YOU.. it is healing to my heart and good for the babies too.. anyone wanna join me sometime in the future