Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 PM

46,334 posts, read 27,181,581 times

Advertisements

Just bought the 5.5 inch bull barrel with 2 mags. here in Huntsville, AL.

Could not beat the price $240 out the door....huge sale...

Have not shot it, but love the way it feels. Very steady, just kinda sits there when I point it at a target, lines up very nice....

For now, the only thing I dislike about it is the lower portion....that whole portion is plastic, cannot change grips or anything...maybe I can by a complete lower portion and then change grips.....

Anyone else???????????????????

Range report.....maybe this weekend..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 01:50 PM

Shot 200+ rounds today, only 1 stove pipe jam.....my ammo was dirty, when I opened my door all my bullets hit the dirt....

Anyway, right out of the box it shot like a dream. Felt like it was an extension of my hand....very balanced and just "felt right" if you know what I mean....

As of now, my only complaint are the magazines...what a bad design...very hard to load, and you must use your finger tips....have you ever touched (really hard) something so many times with your finer tips they feel raw.....

So, very well worth my $239.....happy with it....

Old 08-15-2010, 06:26 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,745,296 times
I had a Ruger Mark IV. It was fun to shoot, to an extent. I am limited to indoor shooting being more of a "City Cat". I quickly lost interest in it and sold it. For 22LR rimfire, I would prefer a rifle, given a higher velocity.

SMITH & WESSON M&P15-22 22LR A3 25RD BLK (http://www.shootersjax.com/smithandwessonmandp15-2222lra325rdblk.aspx - broken link)

I personally like to shoot 45 ACP, 40 SW and 357 Mag. I just like the power of a larger caliber (balanced with the cost to shoot). I have been eyeing a 44 Magnum Smith and Wesson, from the Dirty Harry era. A Desert Eagle 50 or Smith and Wesson 500 would not be a bad plinking gun to play with, either.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I had a Ruger Mark IV. It was fun to shoot, to an extent. I am limited to indoor shooting being more of a "City Cat". I quickly lost interest in it and sold it. For 22LR rimfire, I would prefer a rifle, given a higher velocity.

SMITH & WESSON M&P15-22 22LR A3 25RD BLK (http://www.shootersjax.com/smithandwessonmandp15-2222lra325rdblk.aspx - broken link)

I personally like to shoot 45 ACP, 40 SW and 357 Mag. I just like the power of a larger caliber (balanced with the cost to shoot). I have been eyeing a 44 Magnum Smith and Wesson, from the Dirty Harry era. A Desert Eagle 50 or Smith and Wesson 500 would not be a bad plinking gun to play with, either.
I have heard and seen bad things about these

Magazines are very peculiar to how the ammo is loaded...and what it is fed...

The 500 to me is way to much just to "plink" at $1.25 a round and 3 time the muzzle velocity of a .44 your wrists could not handle "plinking" for very long....

Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,015,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

As of now, my only complaint are the magazines...what a bad design...very hard to load, and you must use your finger tips....have you ever touched (really hard) something so many times with your finer tips they feel raw.....

So, very well worth my $239.....happy with it....
I've found this little device to be a big help in preventing sore fingers from loading magazines; LINK

It's simple, inexpensive, and works like a charm.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:56 AM

430 posts, read 584,178 times
Many of the new hi-cap magazines present this problem. The mags from my new SA XD(M), with 19 rounds of 9mm, is impossible to hand-feed with the last 5 or so rounds, and the previous 5 ain't no picnic either. Springfield Armories obviously knew this and they include one of the best mag assist loaders I've ever seen.

Apparently we just have to put up with this "inconvenience" with all the new hicap gunz, and allow as how perhaps you may want to buy a few extra mags to load up at home as you prep for your field trip fun @ 5:30am. (What? Doesn't everyone get up then?).

BTW, I recently came across an old catalog with some Luger look-alikes imported by Stoeger that were chambered in .22. I wonder if they are still sold? I think Bill Ruger sort of had the Luger in mind (minus the oddball operating system...) when he designed his original 22.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the link outbacknv....I have also found this after reading a few other forums....

McFadden Ultimate Cliploader 22 Caliber Pistol Magazine Loader Polymer Clear - MidwayUSA

And check out this video on youtube....

I hope it works as well as it does in the video....hopefully no more raw feeling fingers......

YouTube - Ultimate Cliploader For Ruger Mark II, III, Browning Mags

Shibumi, maybe they have a loader like the one above for your hicap mags....

Yea, Bill Ruger came up with a design that is good and luger type....I like it....

The place where I bought this had a 2 day Ruger sale and had the original MK1 that Bill Ruger had designed....Serial #1......The look has not changed much in all these years....

Old 08-17-2010, 08:33 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,583,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Just bought the 5.5 inch bull barrel with 2 mags. here in Huntsville, AL.

Could not beat the price $240 out the door....huge sale...

Have not shot it, but love the way it feels. Very steady, just kinda sits there when I point it at a target, lines up very nice....

For now, the only thing I dislike about it is the lower portion....that whole portion is plastic, cannot change grips or anything...maybe I can by a complete lower portion and then change grips.....

Anyone else???????????????????

Range report.....maybe this weekend..
That's what influenced me to buy it, the grips feel identical to those of my P345.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:50 PM

This is for the non-removable grips on the 22/45.

I have a guy who is willing to "mill" the grips off of my 22/45, to the point where you can install any 1911 grips.

Now, he will "mill" the grips level, and install everything that is needed to install 1911 grips, even Hogue rap around grips....any 1911 grips that are out there will fit....

$40 for everything including shipping....

Old 08-29-2010, 10:20 AM

935 posts, read 1,652,681 times
I'm looking for the perfect holster for my 22/45, and haven't run across anything. Help ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting