Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well...he wrote me back saying he was looking on gun broker and what he had was well over $600....and $200 - $300 just for the press alone....

So I went to Gun Broker...and found this...

LEE Deluxe 4 Hole Turret Press Kit LEE 90928 with : Equipment at GunBroker.com

So I let him know...with his own link provided what I had found....

I informed him I understand he has more....but everything is used....

Waiting for a response.....I may get cussing...

Thanks for all the help guys....
Oh wow, if it's a Turret Press, that's a progressive press/reloader, not a single stage, and $300 for everything sounds like a reasonable price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 AM

46,263 posts, read 27,085,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Oh wow, if it's a Turret Press, that's a progressive press/reloader, not a single stage, and $300 for everything sounds like a reasonable price.
Mike, that link is not the loader....

But it is a turret press, look at post 19 in this thread, I Have a picture of exactally what I will be gettng.

He also said he could not take less than $250 for everything.....to make a proffit....

Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,560 times
Then he's not just selling things he doesn't need if hes concerened with profit.
Mike may be confused, a turret isn't really a progressive. Kinda half way but mostly like a single stage.

It allows you to put all the dies for a given caliber on one plate so you can do the steps one after another without swapping dies, you just rotate the plate to the next die, but every stroke only performs one operation. A progressive performs all steps with each stroke, so you are sizing one case, priming one case, dropping a charge in one case & seating a bullet in another, every time you operate the lever. In other words after 4 strokes each stroke produces one complete round of ammunition.

I'm thinking about a turret myself but its hard to justify since I use two single stages at once. I resize in one and neck expand in the other first & then seat and crimp. But a turret has the extra benefit that you can get extra plates so you dont need to screw the dies in & out too. You can set up a plate for instance with 357 dies and another with 44 dies & only swap the plates to change from one caliber to another. I need to screw in my dies individually, not a very big deal to me but it would certainly be convenient to not have to.

Anyway I still think thats too much money.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Then he's not just selling things he doesn't need if hes concerened with profit.
Mike may be confused, a turret isn't really a progressive. Kinda half way but mostly like a single stage.

It allows you to put all the dies for a given caliber on one plate so you can do the steps one after another without swapping dies, you just rotate the plate to the next die, but every stroke only performs one operation. A progressive performs all steps with each stroke, so you are sizing one case, priming one case, dropping a charge in one case & seating a bullet in another, every time you operate the lever. In other words after 4 strokes each stroke produces one complete round of ammunition.

I'm thinking about a turret myself but its hard to justify since I use two single stages at once. I resize in one and neck expand in the other first & then seat and crimp. But a turret has the extra benefit that you can get extra plates so you dont need to screw the dies in & out too. You can set up a plate for instance with 357 dies and another with 44 dies & only swap the plates to change from one caliber to another. I need to screw in my dies individually, not a very big deal to me but it would certainly be convenient to not have to.

Thats what bothered me....he said he needs to make a proffit....Oh heck...I still don't know....

But with his attitude, I don't think so...

I think this is what I'm going to buy....
LEE Deluxe 4 Hole Turret Press Kit LEE 90928 with : Equipment at GunBroker.com

Still not sure...have to do some digging still...

Old 01-20-2011, 06:51 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,560 times
That should do you nicely. If I had it to do over I probably would start with a turret press.

This ones a stronger one than the one in your kit & may be available in a kit as well. Lee Classic Turret Press #90064 : Equipment at GunBroker.com

Thats said the standard one is probably good enough to last a lifetime. If you start loading any big rifle calibers you'll probably end up wanting a strong O press anyway. Resizing put more strain on the press than anything else and is what got me to but the classic cast O press. I was forming brass from one caliber to another because I couldn't find brass for an old rifle I bought and the strain was torquing my alloy press.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post

Well, it's been a while since I looked at a Lee Turret, and I've known of it since I started reloading in early 1986, and I always thought it was a progressive press. Thanks for the clarification.

ChuckSnee, I agree with Tin Knocker's assessment on how much money he wants for it is about right, try offering him $200.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Well, it's been a while since I looked at a Lee Turret, and I've known of it since I started reloading in early 1986, and I always thought it was a progressive press. Thanks for the clarification.

ChuckSnee, I agree with Tin Knocker's assessment on how much money he wants for it is about right, try offering him $200.
$250 is as low as he will go....

Old 01-20-2011, 03:15 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,221 times
If it were me, I would start with a single stage press.

I don't know why people like to push beginners unto advanced slopes ....and four stage presses. Thats my .02.

May seem simple to an experienced loader...which the OP is not. Loading mistakes can be nasty.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
$250 is as low as he will go....
That's about a fair price, not a real good price, but OK. I would still have concerns about the opened powder cans.The Lee turret is available new for way less than $200. A quick Google search showed Midway for example asking like $80. This makes the guy a knucklehead IMHO, and I wouldn't buy an opened can of powder from someone I thought was a knucklehead. The one I have BTW is the old 3-hole, now they make a 4-hole. In my experience it's a good press, like I have said it's not a work of art like an RCBS, Redding, or Dillon, but it's a lot cheaper than they are, works as well or better depending on what you want to do.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:26 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
If it were me, I would start with a single stage press.

I don't know why people like to push beginners unto advanced slopes ....and four stage presses. Thats my .02.

May seem simple to an experienced loader...which the OP is not. Loading mistakes can be nasty.
I wouldn't suggest a *progressive* for a first-timer, but the Lee Turret works very much like a MEC shotshell loader (the garden variety one) - you take one empty at a time and process it into a loaded round. Using a single-station press you actually IMHO have more opportunity to make a mistake, particularly when charging powder. It's just personal preference, I guess, but I like making one loaded round at a time better than processing 50 or 100 brass empties into loaded rounds one step at a time. FWIW I really like Lee's hand-held priming tool. The only thing I don't like about my Dillon is having to charge primer tubes, before I can load.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting