Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 03:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times

Advertisements

From what I heard you need plenty of amber colored bottles preferably filled with some concoction that has been sitting in wood barells aging for a while. Depending on the length of the hunting trip and how many people will be with you will tell you how many of the bottles to bring. One a day per a person is a good rule of thumb although for more experienced hunters more bottles may be needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Well now, suhh-neee boy, you mit'chav been right a few doz'n yahr'ago, but now, I sorta sip at it. So it has to be The Good Stuff. Not more'thet dreadful Jimmy Beam of Jackie D's swill fur me!

Ever try Evan Williams Single Barrel Bottling? Bardston Whiskey Society Limited Edition offerings? Each bottle serial is numbered, for heaven's sake! Yeah; I know; E. Williams makes ditto-cheap swill-stuff very much like that Jim Beam carb cleaner, but they also make this lovely concoction.

And yep; sipped in limited amounts (< a dram or so...) it can lead to a clarified state of mind, but yah don't want to be drinkin' before you head on out to stealthily stalk the wild beasties. It's not fair to them, you or the other hunters in the woods.

For me, it's a one-shot, one-kill proposition, else I'll let'em go their merry way. Thus my love of single shots!

Take'r easy now, y'hear?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:06 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Well now, suhh-neee boy, you mit'chav been right a few doz'n yahr'ago, but now, I sorta sip at it. So it has to be The Good Stuff. Not more'thet dreadful Jimmy Beam of Jackie D's swill fur me!

Ever try Evan Williams Single Barrel Bottling? Bardston Whiskey Society Limited Edition offerings? Each bottle serial is numbered, for heaven's sake! Yeah; I know; E. Williams makes ditto-cheap swill-stuff very much like that Jim Beam carb cleaner, but they also make this lovely concoction.

And yep; sipped in limited amounts (< a dram or so...) it can lead to a clarified state of mind, but yah don't want to be drinkin' before you head on out to stealthily stalk the wild beasties. It's not fair to them, you or the other hunters in the woods.

For me, it's a one-shot, one-kill proposition, else I'll let'em go their merry way. Thus my love of single shots!

Take'r easy now, y'hear?
I find that the odor of metabolizing alcohol expressed from the pores after a night of hard drinking (particularly if it's from a bottle of Canadian Deer Hunter) is, unfortunately, a potent wildlife repellent.

Yeah, stay off the sauce. A cool buzz and a hot chamber are a bad combination.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
How did ya'all do this season?

Old 02-08-2011, 02:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How did ya'all do this season?
I was focused on a newborn and easier-to-access pigs this year, but had the opportunity to harvest a management buck late season (5 1/2 year old 10 point with an unusual, narrow rack - be an interesting European mount). The freezer is full of venison and pork for the first time in several seasons, so I would say the season was a success.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 AM

684 posts, read 1,150,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
From what I heard you need plenty of amber colored bottles preferably filled with some concoction that has been sitting in wood barells aging for a while. Depending on the length of the hunting trip and how many people will be with you will tell you how many of the bottles to bring. One a day per a person is a good rule of thumb although for more experienced hunters more bottles may be needed.

Yep, guns and alcohol. A great combination.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:30 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Prob'ly why I didn't go out for deer this year... Too drunk. And bourbon's probably cheaper than the fuel for my hulking big F350 Crew Diesel 4X4....

Actually, I was too busy fixing the rifles of those youngé who did venture forth, accurizing the heck outa their smokepoles soz they could have at some muley or whitetail (we have both here, and WA ST Fish & Game does not like those danged central WA hybrids... Seems the whitetail bucks are real aggressive towards muly bucks, and effectively chase them away! Then they have their way with the Odocoileus wimin folk).

As I like to tell some innocent folks, especially if they are after a big-ol bull moose, "The fun stops when you pull the trigger on one-them beasties!"

Lord, do I have some stories about moose hunting up in northern B.C. Enough to make your blood freeze.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default What you think of this pistol????

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I forgot to address the # of rounds - an authorititative answer is in the Georgia hunting regulations, but typically hunting rifles are limited to 10 rounds. Most strictly sporting firearms hold about 5 rounds. Typically you won't need more than 3 rounds at the very max for deer, and if you are shooting a good caliber you should be able to get a clean kill with just one round. Some people hunt with single-shot rifles. But if you happen to have an M1-A, HK-91, or some other major caliber military styled rifle available, there are 10 round magazines available for these and you can hunt with them, they look a little "Rambo" and are a bit heavy, but if you already have one of these, no reason not to use it if you want.

Although, keep in mind the old Indian guide's dictum: "Bang - meat. Bang, Bang - meat maybe. Bang, Bang, Bang, beans no meat again tonight.".

There are definitely hunting/gun clubs around. Maybe your colleague can get you an invite to join one.

You can get an ATV, if you want, if you go with an experienced crew they will probably have an ATV, a horse, a mule, llamas (don't laugh, llamas are damn good pack animals) or something like that. Remeber, you can hunt uphill and drag downhill, or hunt downhill and drag uphill, your choice.

Some rounds like the 30-30 are hard to find with anything but a good deer bullet loaded. The Federal Fusion line of ammo is "tuned" to deer. I mention this since you can find for example in a 30-06 some 180 to 220 grain bullets that are rather stoutly constructed, and are intended for game bigger than deer, will tend not to expand, and in the 270 and 30-06 if you look around you can find bullets of 100 and less grains for the 270, and 125 and less for the '06, which are intended for shooting coyotes and etc, and are too lightly constructed for deer. I just mention the Federal Fusions, Winchester and Remington, Hornady, lot of good ammo available. Back in the day, it was not hard to handload a better round, particularly a better bullet, than you could get over the counter. This is much less true now.

Any decent gun shop will be able to set you up with ammo that will work fine for you. Discount stores, it depends, at the local Bi-Mart, yeah, the guy behind the ammo counter hunts and knows what's what, at the big national chains not so much.
Keep in mind not all states have the same laws. You can not use a semi auto rifle that holds more than 5 rounds where I live. No matter how good of hunter you are, or how good of shot you are, if you take only three rounds of ammo, you are very foolish, and giving that advice is also foolsih. The best advice given so far is when lifelongMOgal gave you a link to read for your state. She always has good advice when it comes to guns and hunting. Talk to your friends and try and find someone who hunts, who will take you with them and teach you. It is hard to pick up everything on your own. I started hunting in the 50's, I still learn new things, you never know it all.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
There is a tech at work who hunts deer in GA. Deer Hunting sounds fascinating. What are the necessities to get started?

What type of Firearms? .223? 30-06? 12 GA?
What type of ammo?
Is there a limitation on how many rounds you can load?
Are there hunt clubs? How about for novices?

What type of equipment do I need?
Deer Stand?
Clothing?
ATV?
Well I suspect your choice of weapon will be determined by the wild life folks in the state you decide to a hunt'n in. Some places a rifle is out due to population density. Having said that, I can't think of anywhere on the east coast where you can't use a 12 GA slug gun.

Deer stand? I suppose. A dear friend of mine disdains the use of stands preferring to hunt on foot and using natural cover. He is a bit of a primitive when it comes to these sorts of things.

Clothing, always a good idea, going native sans clothing is a bit much in my opinion. Seriously, that too depends on where you are going to hunt. Some states require you to wear a good bit of orange in your wardrobe, some don't. But you would look rather silly if you aren't properly attired.

ATV? Before you start spending a whole lot of money, find or make friends with folks who are experienced and already have some of the expensive gear like ATV's swamp buggies, tree stands or even an extra rifle or two. You might find that you really don't like hanging out in the rain and cold, fighting off bugs that carry lyme disease and such.

Personally, I started hunting deer when I was 10 in Louisiana stalking around the old family farm using an old Winchester 32-20. Not the most effective deer gun but hey, shoot what ya grandpa gave you was the motto. My most recent foray was about 10 years ago and I used a bow which I found to be a whole lot funner than a gun.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 AM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Keep in mind not all states have the same laws. You can not use a semi auto rifle that holds more than 5 rounds where I live. No matter how good of hunter you are, or how good of shot you are, if you take only three rounds of ammo, you are very foolish, and giving that advice is also foolsih. The best advice given so far is when lifelongMOgal gave you a link to read for your state. She always has good advice when it comes to guns and hunting. Talk to your friends and try and find someone who hunts, who will take you with them and teach you. It is hard to pick up everything on your own. I started hunting in the 50's, I still learn new things, you never know it all.

Took me a minute to figure out what you are on about - the "bang, bang, bang" meaning no meat tonight - the point is, when you are doing things right, a single shot is *generally* all it takes on big game. Occasionally a 2nd. But 3 shots in a row probably mean all 3 missed.

This should not be interpreted to be advice on how much ammo to carry - that would depend on a lot of things, mostly logistics, are you packing everything on your own back, horses, or driving your truck right into the camp?

For most big game hunting, most deer hunting, 20 to maybe 50-60 rounds should be plenty to bring into camp. If you are wanting more than 20 rounds a day, that would be unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting