Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:50 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
,,,You might be interested in a Ruger deerfield carbine I think they called them. They are discontinued I believe but were a semi auto 44 mag carbine. Early ones were tube fed & later they had a 4 round rotary mag similar to a 10/22. Very nice compact & powerful package. ,,.
I have been watching gun shows for decades wanting one, when you find them they are usually in good shape but expensive.
I have my Win 94 trapper in .44, nice 16" barrel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
.,,You might be interested in a Ruger deerfield carbine I think they called them. They are discontinued I believe but were a semi auto 44 mag carbine. ,,,.
just googled it. Looks a lot like the Ruger Police carbine I have in 9mm. Only difference besides the round is mine has a factory black plastic stock. Looking to sell it as I just do not use it.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:11 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,737 times
Default Favorite pistol cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Since there was going to be a lot of controversy in my last thread about a pistol and caliber....

Lets have it here,.....tell me what and why you think you caliber is better....

I have pointed out one occasion that a 9mm has better ballistics all around than the .45.............

You can bring up you custom loads if you would like but please explain that first....

Lets keep it civil and no bashing because you don't like what someone else says....

I like the 9mm, nothing wrong with it...can be reloaded for better performance, not a lot of kick....
Ok, I will keep it civil, but I don't agree when you say "I have pointed out one occasion that a 9mm has better ballistics all around than the .45............."

You have pointed out nothing, and will never be able to, because better is just in your mind.

ferretkona
said it very well in his post #5 when he said "A 9mm with good placement will beat a .45 aimed sloppy", but it stops there.

In a later post, lifelongMOgal said it best in her post #12 when she said "There is no magic caliber; shot placement is everything".

We all have our own ideas. I have a 9 MM, yes, I will admit it, but it is far from my favorite. I don't have any Hi-Point carbine, however, I prefer something with a little more quality. I do own a CX4 Beretta Carbine in 45 ACP, and in reality it is useless to have, serves no real purpose, but is fun to shoot or showoff. My largest pistol caliber is a 45-70, but I also have a pistol that fires a 308 Winchester, the later two being T/C Encores. Fun pistols to shoot, but why have one. I suppose the answer is just because we can...
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite pistol cartridge-cx4-45-acp.jpg   Favorite pistol cartridge-img_0700.jpg  

Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
The biggest round you can double tap with and afford to practice shooting.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:47 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Ok, I will keep it civil, but I don't agree when you say "I have pointed out one occasion that a 9mm has better ballistics all around than the .45............."

You have pointed out nothing, and will never be able to, because better is just in your mind.

ferretkona said it very well in his post #5 when he said "A 9mm with good placement will beat a .45 aimed sloppy", but it stops there.

In a later post, lifelongMOgal said it best in her post #12 when she said "There is no magic caliber; shot placement is everything".

We all have our own ideas. I have a 9 MM, yes, I will admit it, but it is far from my favorite. I don't have any Hi-Point carbine, however, I prefer something with a little more quality. I do own a CX4 Beretta Carbine in 45 ACP, and in reality it is useless to have, serves no real purpose, but is fun to shoot or showoff. My largest pistol caliber is a 45-70, but I also have a pistol that fires a 308 Winchester, the later two being T/C Encores. Fun pistols to shoot, but why have one. I suppose the answer is just because we can...
Twice now, you have said that ballistics mean nothing....

Please provide some information....besides "what is just in your mind."

Old 02-11-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Twice now, you have said that ballistics mean nothing....,,,
If in a self defense situation anything at hand is good. Ballistics at 20 feet are going to be pretty equal across the board.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:06 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
.22lr because I can afford to shoot it. 9mm next in line.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
Quote:
Twice now, you have said that ballistics mean nothing....

Please provide some information....besides "what is just in your mind."

I think what he means is paper ballistics dont reflect what actually goes on.
I dont agree with the idea that a 45 is vastly superior than a 9mm but I understand his point to a degree.

When we talk Ft/lbs of energy, as we often do in these discussions it can be misleading. We need to bring into the picture exactly how that energy is transferred. On paper it would appear that a 9 is superior in most every way.
It generates more velocity & energy, its more aerodynamic & should in theory retain energy longer because of that.
But in real life, especially with ball ammo, that energy & velocity is largely wasted because it'll zip right thru a body while the 45 will often stop depositing all its energy into the target. Even if it passes thru it'll effect the target more because its fatter around & was moving slower.
As an exaggerated example I'll use a scenerio with a beer can.
You can shoot that can witha 22 & it wont even move. It'll have a hole in & out but the bullet was fast enough & small enough to zip right thru. I suppose the can still died but it will take some time. Now, take a ball bearing & sling shot and whack that can. The ball may or may not make it thru, it certainly had less energy than the 22, but it will squash that can good, that can knew instantly it got whalloped but good & probably had no fight left.

Of course bringing flesh & blood into the equasion changes things due to hydrostatic shock & stuff but the gist of the discrepency between paper ballistics & real life is illistraded well I think.

FT/lbs themselves are hard to quantify in regards to ballistics. I have loads I shoot from my 45/70 that generate over 1.5 tons of energy at the muzzle. Yet my shoulder isn't ripped off when I shoot the gun and rocks I'v that weigh alot less than that ton & 1/2 dont move when I shoot them.

But when talking about people I dont think its a big deal. People know when they been shot & know what it means. In most cases when you shoot somebody they will stop doing whatever caused you to shoot them.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times
for my EDC , I choose .40 for my 1911's which I shoot just for fun I prefer 10mm's

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
.22 vs .45 is like the difference between being stabbed with an ice pick and being stabbed with a baseball bat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting