Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:15 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQBE45 View Post
That TR Pee-Pee (you have to have a big one to own and carry one) LOL used to be like $900 bucks new. Now they are $1,350-$1,400 BUCKS! I blew that deal all in the water too!
Uh Retail on those Pee-Pees are 1750.00 BTW. That's when you can find the damn things. Its almost a 12 month waiting period from what I understand now. Buds is 1450 but always out of stock. A few on gunbroker and gunsamerica but after the transfer fee and tax you might as well just buy one local. I got my NIB Jan 2011 SSTRP for 1450 on a PPT with a friend who just bought it but then needed the money for personal reasons. No taxes or transfer fees for me. I was a lucky SOB. only thing I had to pay extra for was the State DROS fees of 35.00. I just recently had someone at the range offer me 1600 even after I have put a little 1000 down the pipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 01:54 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
I have an early model (WW1) 1911 that has been nickel plated. I would like to get the plating renewed. Can anyone recommend a good nickel plating shop?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,560 times
  1. Known to have "bite" these grips are unbreakable as well as very-very aggressive. They simply won't slip even with the most bloody, sweaty, greasy, muddy hands. Simonich GunnerGrips
One of the most knowledgeable 1911 guys around... Larry Vickers. U.S. ARMY 1st SFOD-D Special Forces Operational Detachment or DELTA FORCE retired. He can answer just about any 1911 question anyone has.

Wilson Combat Commercial - Larry Vickers & Ken Hackathorn - YouTube

Grey Group Training/LAV 1911 Operators Course - YouTube

Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Wink If we are plugging 1911 makers..........

I have Simonich grips on the two 1911's I built from scratch. and another I puchased before those. As great as they are for performance the purist in me still loves wood grips

As to 1911 custom gunsmiths I can highly recommend the following:

Bob Rogers: Bob Rodgers, Pistolsmith

John Jardine: Custom 1911 Pistols - Jardine's Custom Handguns - 1911A1 Pistolsmith

Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM

Nice^^^ I'll add another one. This is a good read for 1911 fans. Magazine Articles about Tussey Custom Guns (http://www.tusseycustom.com/articlecustompistolsss.htm - broken link)

Steven Seagal - Lawman TV Series 1 How I Became A Cop - YouTube

Seagal and Team shooting Belsco POST Target - YouTube

Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Nice^^^ I'll add another one. This is a good read for 1911 fans. Magazine Articles about Tussey Custom Guns (http://www.tusseycustom.com/articlecustompistolsss.htm - broken link)

Steven Seagal - Lawman TV Series 1 How I Became A Cop - YouTube

Seagal and Team shooting Belsco POST Target - YouTube
I've been to Terry Tussy's shop and he was gracious enough to give a tour of his workbench and projects (several years ago). Nicest guy in the world. I do not own one of his pieces of art, yet; and so could not write from personal experience in the performance of 1911s. Hopefully I can get in line and have an opportunity to own one of his works in the future.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:11 AM

^ I don't own one either. I'm just a big Seagal fan and know about his choices in the 1911 department. From what I gather, he can make one for Steven that is as close to perfect as anyone could ever build. You'll have that advantage when you are working with Hollywood money. Another good one that the average Joe can own is a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch designed this 1911. I've shot them before and they shot great. If I was to add another, it would be one of those. Most guys start with them after the move up from a Colt, Kimber or Springfield Armory. They're a substantial move up, but still fairly affordable. They sell like hotcakes in all the gun shops I frequent. I love the slim profile of the Thunder Ranch too. It would be very easy to carry a fullhouse 5" Government 1911. This is a very nice 1911, but comes in the cheapest of the cheap cardboard box. No hard plastic cases or range bag like a Wilson. I love Les Baer's answer WHY. "Do you want a fancy box or shooting bag that adds $20-$30 to the price...Do you want $20-$30 worth of craftsmanship and parts removed?" That's a good answer and MOST of us will take the $20-$30 worth of EXTRA into the gun.

Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special - YouTube

Administrative Handgun Load - YouTube

Old 02-10-2012, 09:32 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
1911's....my personal downfall! I've added 4 or 5 since the first of the year, another Randall, a limited edition (1 of 300) Colt, a Sig Scorpion and an STI. Oh....and a 100th anniversary SS Series 70.

The Sig - well, the gun itself is nice, but it has a rail on it, and after having thought about it I've decided that I won't be keeping it. Haven't even fired it, but I'm just not one to hang lights/lasers on my guns, so there's no sense in shooting it - someone's gonna get a nice deal on it!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
1911's....my personal downfall! I've added 4 or 5 since the first of the year, another Randall, a limited edition (1 of 300) Colt, a Sig Scorpion and an STI. Oh....and a 100th anniversary SS Series 70.

The Sig - well, the gun itself is nice, but it has a rail on it, and after having thought about it I've decided that I won't be keeping it. Haven't even fired it, but I'm just not one to hang lights/lasers on my guns, so there's no sense in shooting it - someone's gonna get a nice deal on it!
I know a guy who bought a STI Lawman at the last gun show.The STI Lawman 5.0 « STI INTERNATIONAL I haven't heard back yet how he likes it. I'm hoping to find out. They are nice priced and seem to be pretty decent. I'm curious how it stands up to a Les Baer Thunder Ranch. Either, or, is a notch up from a standard grade Kimber, Springfield Armory or run of the mill Colt. I think I read where you liked STIs somewhere too. Maybe you can shed light on it on how it stacks up?

Last edited by SamTM; 02-10-2012 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-10-2012, 05:51 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
I own an STI Elektra, the wife has one as well. We both like 'em - a LOT. My point of comparison is a SS Wilson Sentinel in .45, several Kimbers, a couple of Randall LeMay's, RIA and High Standard compacts, and a couple of Colt compacts. IMO, I'll stack the STI's against any of 'em....to the point that the Elektra has become my primary carry piece. I have an Ed Brown (fullsize) as well - and the Elektra is only *slightly* edged out by the trigger on the EB. The slide moves like it's on bearings - it is literally that cotton-pickin' smooth.
I'll more'n likely be adding another STI or two later in the year....right now, I'm negotiating on another Randall LeMay (left handed), so until that's wrapped up I'm trying to keep my $$$'s available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting