Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Speaking about the above post "there's a fool born every minute".
Ya, think?

I assume that every gun I touch is loaded and treat it accordingly. The only time that I every "check" to see if a gun is load is if I am going to pull the trigger. To quote Hoot in Black Hawk Down:

Steele: Sergeant, what's the meaning of this?
[Thinking he's talking about the unauthorized pig picking]
"Hoot": Just a little aerial target practice, sir. Didn't want to leave 'em behind.
Steele: I'm talking about your weapon, soldier. Now Delta or no-Delta, that's still a hot weapon. Your safety should be on at all times.
"Hoot": This is my safety, sir.
[He holds up his index finger and bends motions as if squeezing a trigger and then walks off]

In short, if you follow the three above rules...

1. Never point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.
2. Act as if every gun you handle is loaded
3. Never place your finger on the trigger.

You have absolutely no need to check and "see" if a gun is loaded.

48 years of firearms handling, without a single accidental discharge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 06:35 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

EVERYTHING I was ever taught has just been tossed out the window. I carried professionally a weapon for 21 years and each and every day I checked my weapon [ and any other I happened to be holding ] and STILL do, to make sure they were loaded or unloaded. EVERY LEO I've ever seen who picked up a weapon ALWAYS checked them to make sure they were unloaded and safe DANG all these years they were wrong all because YOU have been the luckiest person on this planet!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:58 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Speaking about the above post "there's a fool born every minute".

Google "cop shoots himself"

A cop shoots himself while giving a class to a middle school class.....

Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Saw that video, laughed pretty hard. I love how he doesn't grunt or yell or anything, just calmly tells them to call an ambulance while (presumably) there's a giant bloodstain on his pants.

he kinda deserved it for not checking first. The only time I don't check to see if a firearm is loaded is if I was the last one to physically touch it- and even then still usually at least pull the bolt/slide back a little bit to see if a round was chambered (because it is entirely possible to forget to clear the chamber sometimes)

Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Quote:
Which makes

"When someone hands you a gun the first thing you should do is check to see if it's loaded."

Unnecessary.
Wrong. After you make sure a gun is not loaded, you treat it like it's loaded anyway. Safety can never be too redundant.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:

Then you are a hazard to yourself and everyone around you when handling guns.

1) This poster is being dishonest and posting for effect. (Troll)

and/or

2) This poster is irresponsible in their handling of guns.

and/or

3) This poster has never handled a gun other than playing video games. Especially since quoting a fictional movie character for their philosophy on proper gun handling procedures.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:32 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default Gun Wisdom

Quote:
Ya, think?

I assume that every gun I touch is loaded and treat it accordingly. The only time that I every "check" to see if a gun is load is if I am going to pull the trigger. To quote Hoot in Black Hawk Down:

Steele: Sergeant, what's the meaning of this?
[Thinking he's talking about the unauthorized pig picking]
"Hoot": Just a little aerial target practice, sir. Didn't want to leave 'em behind.
Steele: I'm talking about your weapon, soldier. Now Delta or no-Delta, that's still a hot weapon. Your safety should be on at all times.
"Hoot": This is my safety, sir.
[He holds up his index finger and bends motions as if squeezing a trigger and then walks off]

Maybe you are just luckier than some. My son was an instructor for a police SWAT team, he was overly safety conscience according to the guys he worked with, he was 44 years old, and died this Feb 11th from a gun that he failed to check, that he apparently thought was not loaded.

Personally I don't care how old you are or what experience you have, if you don't check a firearm that is handed to you, something is wrong with your thinking.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
EVERYTHING I was ever taught has just been tossed out the window. I carried professionally a weapon for 21 years and each and every day I checked my weapon [ and any other I happened to be holding ] and STILL do, to make sure they were loaded or unloaded. EVERY LEO I've ever seen who picked up a weapon ALWAYS checked them to make sure they were unloaded and safe DANG all these years they were wrong all because YOU have been the luckiest person on this planet!!!
You nor they (your fellow police officers) are not wrong, just different.

In your capacity as a police officer (and I know and have worked around quite a few);

It would be terribly embarrassing, an understatement, to show up at a crime in progress with an unloaded gun. Would it not?

It would be terribly embarrassing to not check a seized or found firearm for safety and evidentiary reasons. Would it not?

Having said that, I have observed on more than one occasion an officer do some pretty weird and unsafe attempts to check whether a weapon was loaded or not having said that, I prefer not to fumble with a weapon that I might not be familiar with to check whether it is loaded or not, so I simply assume that it is.

I also, feel no imperative to check every weapon that I come across to determine if it is loaded or not unless for some reason I feel compelled to experience the weapons trigger. Again, by not placing any appendage on the trigger, assuming the weapon is loaded, and not pointing it at anything that would cause grievous bodily harm or death.

The only time that I ever religiously checked a weapon to see if it was loaded was in a combat environment, where like you, it would have been unfortunate to show up with an unloaded weapon.

PS: nothing personal, knowing the number of accidental discharges that cops seem to have an uncanny ability to cause to happen, I think that you guys need all the fail safe procedures a department can devise.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe you are just luckier than some.
Not in the least bit. I am exceedingly cautious.

Quote:
My son was an instructor for a police SWAT team, he was overly safety conscience according to the guys he worked with, he was 44 years old, and died this Feb 11th from a gun that he failed to check, that he apparently thought was not loaded.
If this person killed himself, and for that I am sincerely sorry, there were more problems with their gun handling than just not checking whether the weapon was loaded or not.

Quote:
something is wrong with your thinking.
Perhaps.

But I will stand by the assertion that if every weapon is treated as if it is loaded, that if you never place your finger on the trigger of that weapon you will never have an accidental discharge.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Google "cop shoots himself"

A cop shoots himself while giving a class to a middle school class.....

YouTube - ‪DEA Agent Shoots Self in Foot‬‏
wow he took a .40 S&W and was so calm and he still made a point on making sure it is unloaded and accidents happen just that fast to anyone.

but if you look after he unloaded gun there was still a bullet in the chamber. and there is no safety on glock that most cops are issued so he had a bullet in the chamber no saftey and his finger on the trigger and for learning about gun safety this has to be one of the most effective gun safety demonstration ever exhibited. but I think it was good he had the consideration to make sure everyone else was OK

I give him credit, in the sense he was shot by a 40 caliber weapon and barely flintched but anyone that took CPR knows he needs to lie down on his back and elevate his legs above his heart. then you would clean the wound as best as you can and make a a folded triangular bandage placed over the wound and apply pressure till the paramedics arrive and try to prevent that he does not go into shock oh almost forget the first thing to do would be secure and clear the weapon for not only your saftey but that of anyone else like the paramedics or fire dept responding to the call and my guess you hand it over to them so they could give it back to the owner

Last edited by GTOlover; 05-19-2011 at 08:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting