Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Do you seek out the "collectors" gun shows? Many regions have special collectors associations that hold competitions for their shows. In my area it is held twice each year. Without contest the collector's shows are the best ones of the year.

I don't fault gunbroker and other auction sites for meeting the needs of sellers and collectors. There are some pretty good auctions out there by dealers who specialize in certain areas or rare collections as well.
No, I haven't done that and yes, there are the collectors meets here.

I didn't intend to imply that I hold an awesome site like gunbroker.com in contempt, just that it and auction sites like it along with online warehouses like cheaperthandirt.com and Ables have changed things to a great extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:16 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
No, I haven't done that and yes, there are the collectors meets here.

I didn't intend to imply that I hold an awesome site like gunbroker.com in contempt, just that it and auction sites like it along with online warehouses like cheaperthandirt.com and Ables have changed things to a great extent.
They have. However, on the otherside of it, they allow those who do not travel the gunshow route outside of what is local to collect fine works from the past from other parts of the country without the time and travel.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
I'm not that old but it wasn't that long ago that collecting many military arms of WWI-WWII was quite affordable. $40 mosins, about the same for Turkish Mausers, the beater Chinese surplus broomhandles...then I had a liking too for the cheap pocket revolvers of the 1870's/80's era, the sidearms of the average person of that time. Even those have gotten overpriced lately IMHO. I'd love an original Colt 1851 Navy but I think that day's a long ways off right now...I'd really like to collect Civil War guns but that's mostly a rich man's game these days.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'm not that old but it wasn't that long ago that collecting many military arms of WWI-WWII was quite affordable. $40 mosins, about the same for Turkish Mausers, the beater Chinese surplus broomhandles...then I had a liking too for the cheap pocket revolvers of the 1870's/80's era, the sidearms of the average person of that time. Even those have gotten overpriced lately IMHO. I'd love an original Colt 1851 Navy but I think that day's a long ways off right now...I'd really like to collect Civil War guns but that's mostly a rich man's game these days.
More people are collecting and have an appreciation for the old, especially historical firearms; and, our dollar buys less than it used to. This is a good place to find quality old guns. Their website isn't up to date but give them a call and see if they have what you might be seeking: http://antiquesandart.com/

Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Here in Ventura County CA we have a gun show five times per year. The nature and quality of the vendors and their wares varies considerably. One vendor, for example, offers only collector-grade shotguns, and his "neighbor" deals exclusively in collector-grade swords and other ancient weapons. Across the aisle from them are (a) a vendor that sells after-market gun accessories, and (b) a couple that deals mostly in "junque" -- misspelling quite intentional.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CQBE45 View Post
One that comes to mind is a British Enfield No. 4 MK I .303 British that is setting in like new unissued condition. It came out of the crate and directly to me. I bought that for a piddly $80 over 20 years ago! I also have a old Colt Detective Special .38 SPL, 3 HK P7 PSPs Grade 1 in the boxes WITH TOOLS AND MANUALS, 2 Colt Woodsmans ( brand new in the boxes unfired),
You share my taste on those. I have a prewar Woodsman with elephant ear grips and a pre-Woodsman fitted with the replacement mainspring housing to allow the use of the higher pressure rounds introduced in the late Twenties, still what we would call standard velocity, however. I'm looking for one of the original housings as well as an original box for the replacement. Good luck to me on that. The Detective Special when fitted with the later grips is a wonderful gun to shoot. I like the .32 even better than the .38. I certainly wouldn't mind picking up a Cobra in .22 long rifle; I don't believe that the Detective Special was ever made in that chambering.

Is there some specific tool that accompanies the P7?

Quote:
made in Italy stainless Beretta 92FS limited edition, limited edition all stainless CZ-75B, all stainless SIG P-226, SIG P-226 NAVY (NAVY SEALs with proof mark anchor etched), SIG P-228 1 of 36.... mine is #1 limited special order/special run...etc....etc.. That's enough for you to know.
That just shows how tastes differ. The above leave me absolutely cold. I do have a Sig-Sauer P 230, mainly because it's a direct descendant of the Sauer 38H. Aesthetically pleasing, it's pleasant to shoot as well. Please call them Sig-Sauers, not Sigs; Sigs are made in Switzerland. Excepting the innovative Model 52, my interest in CZ ends with the Model 45, an absolutely outstanding gun. I've been looking for a Model 38 for years. It's the one with the external safety and not marked Narodny Podnik (People's Enterprise, the mark of products made under communism).

Old 07-18-2011, 04:36 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm too young to remember a time when gun collecting was actually affordable for anyone who isn't rolling in cash.

For example, that Winchester rifle collection would be worth around 100K. Just the Henry would go for $40-60,000...

Tacti-cool stuff is at least semi-affordable.
Same here.
When I finally get a few weapons, they're primarily going to be for practice home-defense.,etc
But there are some nice ones out there that are just worthy of being put in a display case in my abode.
Save up and let it loose when I got the right amount.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
For the??? Whatever they may be? I thought they were real!! Guess NOT!
Why would you think they are not real, they look like Colt Woodsman in .22 cal. in fairly good condition too, from what I can see in the photo, nice pieces of equipment.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I'm just a general collector of average to rough condition pieces, but like Winchester lever guns.

Colt revolvers strike my fancy too...
That is one nice collection

Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I love gun collecting, although I haven't bought another gun recently. CQBE45, I also have a stainless Sig P-232! What a beautifully designed little piece it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting