Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:57 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,004,695 times

Advertisements

This is mostly to see what pop up below the thread.

Recently I have become interested in a cheap metal gun cabinet, not a real safe, just a tool box.

No retailers have these in stock near me, and anyone who has one wants around 100 bucks in shipping. That gets me into cheap junk safe coin, and I am not interested in that or the weight.

A Cabinet in not for any real sence of security, not for fire and flood.
A cabinet is just a tool box, where you can organize guns and assorted items that go with them. Most any cabinet is light weight.

This should be enough blather for say an add at the bottom of the page for a 18 gun cabinet.

If anyone replies, I will answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM

12,961 posts, read 13,398,677 times
The cheap, lockable metal gun cabinets are ok to keep little kids from having access to your guns & ammo. That makes them worth it if you don't have the $$ for a good safe.

Of course they won't keep a meth-head from bustin' into it for more than 10 seconds.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,779,820 times
Nothing in your area on craigs list Mac? Maybe check with all the local machine shops, auto body shops, etc.....

Just some ideas.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Nothing in your area on craigs list Mac? Maybe check with all the local machine shops, auto body shops, etc.....

Just some ideas.
older lockable tool cabinets, lockable upright freezer no longer in use that no one would guess had guns, etc...

Old 04-26-2011, 03:13 PM

I looked around at different janatorial cabinets, and assorted other tech cabinets, which all cost more. I get the idea gun cabinets are selling like mad, making the prices of these items lower than what might be normal.

Since this will be in our multi use bed room/office/art studio, something of appearance matters a little. Small, but large enough to contain most of my long guns, tight enough I can warm it with a flouresent lamp, to inhibit moisture, with a industrial bag of silicate drier, of which I have many.

My little kid is playing in the sand box this instant, and he was never any worry from any time in my past. On his 6th birthday he was aware of guns to the point I gave him a 22 rifle that day, to do with as he pleased. Or in other words my little kids proble is non-existant unless my grandson at age 2 decides to off grand pa

I live remote, and have no sence of theft. To me this is to simply organize and protect the guns from the elements. Living remote as I do I can walk around naked and not worry about anything but biting bugs. I can walk out the door a few steps and shoot, with narry a complaint even of noise.

2 years ago the fridge died and I contemplated keeping that for this very thing, but the Gods were against me, and the fact that the old fridge went away for free won out that day. I could have made that a bang up cabinet easy. But it would have lived more out of sight, and not be next to the bed.

I checked craigs, and found 4 pretty expensive cabinets used, wood and all with glass. I had that type and gave it away, because I no longer wanted wood and glass.

I could build a better all wood cabinet than I can buy, but I want metal for it's compactness.

The problem with a good safe is I live like a rolling stone, and moving that around would just add to the headache.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 04-26-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 03:46 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,653,844 times
Even in a sheet metal cabinet you will need a desiccant, you can use the large packs as they can be recharged in a oven. In a wood cabinet moisture is less a problem.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:08 PM

I have a bucket full of desiccant bags that come in parts. My room stays a close almost constant 54 degrees, unless I light off one to four alladin lamps.

It is some humid in NH and it sure is today, the meter I have says 49%, which is a tad higher than normal but it rained buckets here last night. In summer (gardening times) I would know that in inches, but that tool is away for winter still. Most any brooks and rivers here are at a low flood stage from winter melt and the past rains.

Anyway I look at what I would build in wood it would be wasting space with 5/4er wood in pine.

Tell me if this is wrong too, but I believe I can drive off moisture with either a 20 watt light bulb on all the time of a fluorescent fixture inside the cabinet. The fluorescent fixture would never be turned off either. I installed one in a sun light /day light version for my wife in her studio corner, and tested it with a digiatl read out RTD. The room there at first read 54 degrees, after 30 minutes the RTD read out 61, hours later it read 66.

Inside an enclosed area, maybe sealed my way, I would think that much heat would be enough to dry the cabinet out, no?

My plan is not ment to be secure, and so will be mounted on a wheeled dolly, making it clear the base board for one thing, perhaps a bit easier to vacuum under, and to get it up off the floor.

The floor has been the problem so far as things are. As it tends to be a little damp, and so the closet doors can never be closed.

In fact if you guys want desiccant bags i can offer them as they come in, since many get thrown out. Loosely these measure 9x5 inches and appear to be hard to measure in thickness, but are 1.5 to 2 in thinkness. There are unrelated recent changes in life here, and I had to move enough rolls of leather to fill (2) 55 gallon drums, to clear another closet. Some of these desiccant bags will end up in the drums, perhaps in with some books and other junk we have.

I never know what will come with these desiccant bags, but most often they come with vacuum ovens and parts of vacuum ovens. I am willing to ship these so there is 0 cost on anyone's part. At this point I don't know if there are spares, but there might be. If i know someone wants any, I will keep a list and can get any addresses later when I can ship.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 04-26-2011 at 04:16 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 05:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
older lockable tool cabinets, lockable upright freezer no longer in use that no one would guess had guns, etc...
I like that idea. Good one.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,822,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I really like that idea... A little interior carpentry could make that into a real cadillac and the plug to the goldenrod would look right at home.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I like that idea. Good one.
Yeah her idea was a good one, while I am unable to pull off that stunt this time.

A common refer can be made to work by cutting out the top floor freezer bottom which 2 years ago I almost did. I was going to gut it to the sealing bottom fllor, power wash the rest and carpet over it all, make holders and etc set up a light, make sure the insulation was dead dry, and stull about 1/2 my guns in it.

Last lable it 'Paint & Chems' and slap on a hardware store rugged hasp and a lock.

Wouldn't be the first time I made a trashy looking iten hide my stuff.
Long story short:

Attended one primitive event back to back with 2 more. The first I made some coin, the 2nd I made a heck of a oot more, and the 3rd I wasn't going to get 1 cent.

That 3rd meant I would be on water 10 days, at a tactical primitive event.

The morning going there I grabbed a chocolate shake and more napkins than I needed. I wrapped the coin (1000 bucks) in napkins, took one more and wiped the cup out, wrapped the bank roll and the other napkins, and stuffed them in the cup, dumped the ash tray on that, capped the cup and threw it on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting