Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:26 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Couple of things ..

Every gun has two safeties. The first is between the owners ears The second is the trigger finger on the owners hand. if you can't operate these safeties effectively you shouldn't own a gun. All other "safeties" are dangerous. In the moment you will not have the frame of mind to flip off a a secondary safety and it doesn't matter how often you practice. They will get you killed.

You carry an auto "racked" with one in the pipe. The trigger pull on both of these is long and it breaks right at the back of the pull. It won't fire unless you complete the pull.

I will agree that you do need to know what to do if a misfeed or fail to fire occurs but I have never had this happen in either model with quality ammo. Any factory ammo will cycle just fine.

A gun carried in a purse is useless. I know this person is looking for home defense because a specific person but in the real world the first thing a BG does is grab at a womans purse. You will not have time to get your hand in there and on the gun. When the BG takes the purse he will now have your gun.. A gun belongs on your side or in you pocket in a properly designed holster.

You really think a Ruger LCR in .38 feels any better than a LCP in .380 ??

Sorry to pick your post apart but I've been teaching people to handle firearms for many years and the purse thing pushed a button. During research I've seen what happens when gun are carried in purses, bags etc.. The BG typically ends up with the gun and the owner gets shot. Or someone else does at a later time.

WOW.....

Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 PM

23 posts, read 51,874 times
wow that suks hire a private eye an find out who the perp is

Old 09-13-2011, 12:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Basically this says it all. I need to buy a gun on 9/13 and must get up to speed asap. I must learn how to use it, feel comfortable with it, shoot straight and I know this involves many hours at the range, but how many hours can I plan on? I figure I can do 20 a week. I think I have a good aim. What concerns me is whether I'll panic. Thank you.
Misty...unless you can kill someone...do NOT get a gun.

You could be killed with it.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I hope your wallet is deep is you plan on 20h/weekly at the range firing anything other than .22lr

I went the other day and spent $40 in just about as many minutes.

If this is purely for the home, I'd probably go with a pump action shotgun.
That God for our sand hill!!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Interesting.....but having spoken with her by phone I better understand now the issue she's facing and the reasons for wanting to arm herself. Working on getting her in touch with folks local to her to be able to help guide her - both in terms of training and education, as well as selection.

Folks, let me tell you a little secret.....all too often, what we THINK will get a cop involved and helping us....won't. They're spread too thin, and the laws we've demanded to be put in place to end "harrassment" and "over-zealous" officers cuts both ways - and in this case, what could've been handled 20-30 years ago by a visit from an LEO can't be done....so she's stuck.

Having said that, the desire to arm herself is for her protection within the confines of her home - so yeah, I say that's a wise decision, even if this current situation plays out without a confrontation.
Ahww....that was nice of you!!!

The OP and myself rarely agree but, I know it is awful to be afraid.

Last edited by Driller1; 09-13-2011 at 01:03 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 03:02 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Couple of things ..

Every gun has two safeties. The first is between the owners ears The second is the trigger finger on the owners hand. if you can't operate these safeties effectively you shouldn't own a gun. All other "safeties" are dangerous. In the moment you will not have the frame of mind to flip off a a secondary safety and it doesn't matter how often you practice. They will get you killed.

You carry an auto "racked" with one in the pipe. The trigger pull on both of these is long and it breaks right at the back of the pull. It won't fire unless you complete the pull.
I love how people defend the Glock by falling back on your finger being the ultimate safety. This is true but people still manage to accidently shoot them selves with a Glock...including Law Enforcement. It's easy for those of us who grew up around firearms to get along without a physical safety but it's not something I would suggest for a beginner. I believe people need to crawl before they walk and master basic gun handling before moving on to a move advanced weapon systems.

As it stands, the OP is concerned about capacity which concerns me. People need to learn how to shoot instead of "spray and pray." Lower capacity firearms forces a shooter to make each round count effectively improving one's aim.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:24 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Remember that we're dealing with someone TOTALLY new to firearms, other than what they've seen in the movies/TV. As mentioned, we spent quite a bit of time on the phone last night, first discussing the cause of this decision to get a gun in the first place, some preventative measures to take to help avoid needing to USE it - and ultimately, the what/why of gun choice.
I firmly believe in semi-auto's - you'll see a few of mine in the .45 thread here - but I also have a few wheelguns, and fully recognize their place in the scheme of things. I'd never suggest a semi OR shotgun for a beginning shooter, simply because of the potential for forgetting safeties, etc. - but they definitely have a place in most collections. My personal daily carry is my Wilson Sentinel. An all-stainless .45, not the lightest sidearm you can carry - but I trust it to do the job if ever necessary.....and ultimately your own PERSONAL choice is all that matters.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:45 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I love how people defend the Glock by falling back on your finger being the ultimate safety. This is true but people still manage to accidently shoot them selves with a Glock...including Law Enforcement. It's easy for those of us who grew up around firearms to get along without a physical safety but it's not something I would suggest for a beginner. I believe people need to crawl before they walk and master basic gun handling before moving on to a move advanced weapon systems.

As it stands, the OP is concerned about capacity which concerns me. People need to learn how to shoot instead of "spray and pray." Lower capacity firearms forces a shooter to make each round count effectively improving one's aim.

DEA Agent Shoots Himself - YouTube

Old 09-13-2011, 04:48 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I Love this link!!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:34 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Honestly, I'm surprised this is still open....there has been a few "internet lawyers" on this thread.....

Sorry, but....this should have been closed, nobody can predict the outcome of this...not even you Texas...and you have inside knowledge.

Also, not in this thread, but I have been chastised for saying "practice, practice, and more practice", but yet it goes through in this thread....(this is the second time).

Anyway, I respect people opinions, but when people on this board will pick and choose when they want to talk and when they do not....is pretty useless in my opinion....

Now, not a lot of people talk on/on this subject (and yes I have been wrong in more than 1 occasion).

BTW, this is a "Shotgun" blast, so if it applies to you, then the truth hurts sometimes, if it has nothing to do with you, then "Water of a ducks back."
Chuck why you always peckin for a fight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting