Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times

Advertisements

I'm really leaning towards the 19 but not sure if Gen 3 or 4. I'm hoping someone here can tell me which is better and what to go with.

Cabela's really pushed the 19 for a beginner. However, I wonder why no one mentioned the 17 to me?

Anyway, I am putting this here as I am in potential danger and realize the cops are not going to save me. The only thing that will save me is being a good shot. Time is of the essence here and I must get up to speed ASAP. Any thoughts are appreciated. Oh, and I realize this means many hours at the shooting range in the near future. Thanks.

OOPS! I did not realize there was a specific gun forum and that's where this should have gone. Mods, please feel free to move or I'm sure some here might have an opinion too. (I hope)

Last edited by mistygrl092; 09-12-2011 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: add thought

Old 09-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Default Best gun for newbie, must buy tomorrow, how long to get up to speed?

Basically this says it all. I need to buy a gun on 9/13 and must get up to speed asap. I must learn how to use it, feel comfortable with it, shoot straight and I know this involves many hours at the range, but how many hours can I plan on? I figure I can do 20 a week. I think I have a good aim. What concerns me is whether I'll panic. Thank you.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Basically this says it all. I need to buy a gun on 9/13 and must get up to speed asap. I must learn how to use it, feel comfortable with it, shoot straight and I know this involves many hours at the range, but how many hours can I plan on? I figure I can do 20 a week. I think I have a good aim. What concerns me is whether I'll panic. Thank you.
I'd highly recommend a double action revolver. 4 in barrel, probably .357, start off with 38's. 9's, 40's, and 45's all get the press and are prefered by most guys but you did indicate you don't have a lot of time to learn. Auto's in this kind of a situation would be more dangerous than the wheelgun.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:

How big are you, what your stature....

I agree, in this situation a revolver maybe the best for you...

But, my questions is if you have 20 hours a week to practice, when will you actually need the pistol.....and actually put it in use?

I would LOVE to shoot 20 hours a week, but as a combat vet, I can tell you that no matter your situation, PANIC is always there....experience does matter.....but panic will always be there......in that situation....

If you are able to shoot 20 hours a week (for how many weeks) then an auto may not be a bad idea...you can learn it, and be able to clear most all misfires. Even 20 hours in 1 week, you could learn an auto and be pretty sufficient with it...

Old 09-12-2011, 06:42 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times
Quote:
I'm really leaning towards the 19 but not sure if Gen 3 or 4. I'm hoping someone here can tell me which is better and what to go with.

Cabela's really pushed the 19 for a beginner. However, I wonder why no one mentioned the 17 to me?

Anyway, I am putting this here as I am in potential danger and realize the cops are not going to save me. The only thing that will save me is being a good shot. Time is of the essence here and I must get up to speed ASAP. Any thoughts are appreciated. Oh, and I realize this means many hours at the shooting range in the near future. Thanks.

OOPS! I did not realize there was a specific gun forum and that's where this should have gone. Mods, please feel free to move or I'm sure some here might have an opinion too. (I hope)
The Glock 19 is a compact variant of the the Glock 17...the a two round difference in capacity. Personally, I would size them up live and in person to see which fits better in your hands. The same thing for the 3 Gen and 4th Gen Glocks. The new 4Gen Glocks have adjustable back strap and textured griping which is nice. But again, I would put my hands on both and see what you like the best.

Then I would strongly advice you to take a tactical handgun class. CHL classes are nice but they don't really teach you techniques. I'm also a firm believer in practicing and knowing your weapon inside and out. So practice, practice, and practice...and when you think you've practiced enough, go practice some more. I'm talking 200-500rds.

Last edited by SVTRay; 09-12-2011 at 06:51 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
If you are legally qualified to purchase a firearm then you need to decide if this gun is for CCW or for home defense. For a newbie I am a firm believer in a shotgun for home defense. A shotgun is pretty inexpensive compared with some of the more reliable CCW handguns be they pistols or revolvers.

The red flag goes up when you post that you "need to buy a gun on 9/13". If there is a threat upon your life you need to make a report to law enforcement ASAP, initiate the protective order process, and do not wait until tomorrow. Spend the night tonight somewhere safe if you are being stalked.

Since you state you are in a rush to get "up to speed" I suggest immediately enrolling in courses with a reputable instructor in your area. The local gunshop with a range should be able to give you a referral to just such an individual.

Get yourself to a range that offers rental guns and try out several tomorrow. You'll need to find one that fits you property and NO ONE on this forum can tell you which one that will be unless they are on the range observing you first hand.

Carrying a firearm in public responsibly requires one to be clear headed and sober, not have their mind clouded with drugs, be they prescription or otherwise.

You MUST know the laws applying to lethal use of force and self defense in your state. Never brandish a firearm unless you are prepared to use it in the immediate defense of life in response to an imminent lethal threat.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How big are you, what your stature....

I agree, in this situation a revolver maybe the best for you...

But, my questions is if you have 20 hours a week to practice, when will you actually need the pistol.....and actually put it in use?

I would LOVE to shoot 20 hours a week, but as a combat vet, I can tell you that no matter your situation, PANIC is always there....experience does matter.....but panic will always be there......in that situation....

If you are able to shoot 20 hours a week (for how many weeks) then an auto may not be a bad idea...you can learn it, and be able to clear most all misfires. Even 20 hours in 1 week, you could learn an auto and be pretty sufficient with it...
The Glock 19 is being pushed on me by Cabela's. Say it's the best gun. I actually went gun shopping today and found even the 19 to be a bit on the heavy side and they told me that was the lightest. Yes, able to shoot 20 indefinitely (not working and this is a very urgent situation). In fact, if necessary I would be even willing to do 30. That's how important it is. I do not like hearing that panic is always there though. I want it to be like in the movies and say something like "I've been waiting for you." and the KABOOM. Of course, with a straight shot in my home. No one has business in my house at night and after two attempts at poisoning my dogs I have no patience and will use lethal force. See, the issue is, if this person is not successful in killing my dogs, he may just come after me, hence the need for protection. BTW, we're not talking barking dogs here. They're barely outside.

Oh, and my stature? Well, 5 feet four and not exactly thin but not strong either.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,239 times
Quote:

Might also consider either of the aforementioned two in a "C" model (G17C or G19C). It has a built-in compensator which may reduce recoil enough to make shooting it a bit easier.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
The Glock 19 is being pushed on me by Cabela's. Say it's the best gun. I actually went gun shopping today and found even the 19 to be a bit on the heavy side and they told me that was the lightest. Yes, able to shoot 20 indefinitely (not working and this is a very urgent situation). In fact, if necessary I would be even willing to do 30. That's how important it is. I do not like hearing that panic is always there though. I want it to be like in the movies and say something like "I've been waiting for you." and the KABOOM. Of course, with a straight shot in my home. No one has business in my house at night and after two attempts at poisoning my dogs I have no patience and will use lethal force.
The G-19 is a very good choice for most women. However, if this is for home defense I am going to again suggest a shotgun with 00 Buck. At this time of night, if you are legally qualified to purchase a firearm, you should be able to pick up a shotgun yet tonight.

Nothing about self defense is "like the movies". You must be mentally prepared and know the laws in your state.

Since you again say this is "very urgent" I am going to strongly urge you again to CONTACT LAW ENFORCEMENT and file a report ASAP if you have not done so already, start protection order process, and stay in a safe place tonight.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
I hope your wallet is deep is you plan on 20h/weekly at the range firing anything other than .22lr

I went the other day and spent $40 in just about as many minutes.

If this is purely for the home, I'd probably go with a pump action shotgun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting