Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 05:01 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how long it takes to feel this way. I must admit I am much more comfortable with the concept of a gun in my house than I thought I would be. Granted, my pepper spray and portable alarm will have to do for awhile, but at least it is something.

At any rate, I've been up all night trying to get the guys who scale my wall on camera. Too late. They were here earlier. I am wondering if I still have a pool cleaner in my pool and I guess I'll find out in a couple of hours. I so want to get those SOBs in action that maybe tomorrow night I just start my surveillance way earlier.

I do have the gun by me for some reason, even though it is not loaded and no magazine is nearby. Sort of makes me feel a wee bit more secure even though I would not use it. I am armed, as I said above, with the spray and alarm and phone and alarm fob (and camera of course). I'm really starting to get angry and don't even care if they see the flash. As soon as they do, I hit the panic button on the alarm system and dial 911.

At any rate, I know your mileage will vary, but when did just having it around, even if not loaded, start to make you feel a little more secure (if this applies to you at all). BTW, I know I tend to share a lot of info, but this situation is what led to my getting a gun so it's sort of wrapped up in the whole deal. Focus is guns, guns, guns and how you felt and what your journey was like. Anyone care to share?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:10 AM

859 posts, read 2,827,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I'm wondering how long it takes to feel this way. I must admit I am much more comfortable with the concept of a gun in my house than I thought I would be. Granted, my pepper spray and portable alarm will have to do for awhile, but at least it is something.

At any rate, I've been up all night trying to get the guys who scale my wall on camera. Too late. They were here earlier. I am wondering if I still have a pool cleaner in my pool and I guess I'll find out in a couple of hours. I so want to get those SOBs in action that maybe tomorrow night I just start my surveillance way earlier.

I do have the gun by me for some reason, even though it is not loaded and no magazine is nearby. Sort of makes me feel a wee bit more secure even though I would not use it. I am armed, as I said above, with the spray and alarm and phone and alarm fob (and camera of course). I'm really starting to get angry and don't even care if they see the flash. As soon as they do, I hit the panic button on the alarm system and dial 911.

At any rate, I know your mileage will vary, but when did just having it around, even if not loaded, start to make you feel a little more secure (if this applies to you at all). BTW, I know I tend to share a lot of info, but this situation is what led to my getting a gun so it's sort of wrapped up in the whole deal. Focus is guns, guns, guns and how you felt and what your journey was like. Anyone care to share?

Misty - owning a firearm is not about feeling empowered. it about being prepared. The feeling of empowerment leads to poor decisions and sometimes make you think you are stronger than you are which can get you into situations that you would have otherwise walked away from and avoided. I encourage you to use caution and the best way to be safe is to remove yourself from the situation.

Your confidence will grow as you become more familiar with the guns use and even more so as you train and become accurate. Again I caution you to avoid situations if you can.. Remember you have to be in fear for your life and able to prove it before you can legally use deadly force. If you go running out your front door and shoot someone guess who's going to be in trouble..

I understand your focus on guns guns guns.. Everyone is like that when they get their first one.. I'm still like that when I get a new one I've trained a couple of people where they bought the gun and openly told me they wanted to handle it as much as they could. I've taken the mags away from these people and made sure they had no ammo until after our first trip to the range.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:30 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Guns do not empower you, it's thinking like this that will get you hurt. You wanted it "like it was in the movies" is not the attitude to have as a gun owner.

As a gun owner, with my family in the house...the gun would be the last resort....UNLESS I know they are standing behind me...then that's another story...

Anyway, I truly feel that the reason you own a gun is a good reason, I truly feel what you want to happen is in fantasy land...

No amount of training, (speaking as a combat vet) will ever get you used to using your gun...and DEFINITELY no empowerment....

Ever think of wasp spray?

Old 09-17-2011, 08:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
I read your post in the true crime forum.

The cops can't do much, really.

They told you to try crisis intervention, I think that is a good idea.

Someone is just messing with you.

This will pass.

If they wanted to hurt you, they would have by now.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:32 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
As wrong as it is to feel this way, I felt better about having a gun when I actually got the chance (once) to see how long it would take the county sheriff to get here. 40 minutes.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Guns do not empower you, it's thinking like this that will get you hurt. You wanted it "like it was in the movies" is not the attitude to have as a gun owner.

As a gun owner, with my family in the house...the gun would be the last resort....UNLESS I know they are standing behind me...then that's another story...

Anyway, I truly feel that the reason you own a gun is a good reason, I truly feel what you want to happen is in fantasy land...

No amount of training, (speaking as a combat vet) will ever get you used to using your gun...and DEFINITELY no empowerment....

Ever think of wasp spray?
Hmm, I think empower was the wrong word to use in mixed company (meaning with men folk). Women often speak of empowerment. There are empowerment seminars, etc, etc. The idea is to develop self-confidence and believe in your own abilities, develop your true potential - that whole women's lib thing. At least I am using it in that context. Make sense?

The pepper spray I have is a three way thing. It comes with UV marking as one of the components. And fobs are wonderful things to set off alarms wirelessly.

The only fantasy land I'm living in right now is a way to get a shot (pic) of whoever is doing what is going on and saving $2000 and coming away from it safely. That is my fantasy at this point.

Or maybe I just have that Annette Benning scene from American Beauty stuck in my brain on some level.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
As wrong as it is to feel this way, I felt better about having a gun when I actually got the chance (once) to see how long it would take the county sheriff to get here. 40 minutes.

Ooh, 40 minutes is a long time. Maybe even rigormortis could set in. For me it's 10 or 15 minutes - still too long. I really believe that if the bad guys get in, the best form of self-defense is a firearm - IF you know what you are doing. I imagine one has to be X feet away from someone in order for the gun not to be grabbed and other stuff I am not thinking of.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:53 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
johna01374 gave you good advice.

For many us country old timers; we were always comfortable with guns. Guns were simply tools like knives, chainsaws or cars. They demanded respect and you had to know their limitations. You misuse anything and it can kill you. Do you remember the woman that died from drinking too much water?

I had an uncle that was a gunsmith. Instead of board games; he gave me Lugers, Mousers and Brownings to put back together. That was about 57 years ago.

Always treat any weapon as if it is loaded. Never point your weapon at anybody at anytime - unless in mortal danger. Training and familiarization go a long way. Learn the laws of your state. And good luck with your new weapon.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:11 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ooh, 40 minutes is a long time. Maybe even rigormortis could set in. For me it's 10 or 15 minutes - still too long. I really believe that if the bad guys get in, the best form of self-defense is a firearm - IF you know what you are doing. I imagine one has to be X feet away from someone in order for the gun not to be grabbed and other stuff I am not thinking of.
Most police depts. shoot if a person gets to 21ft away or closer, the logic being that a person with a knife can cover 21ft with only a few strides and make actually shooting/restraining extremely difficult/

Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
johna01374 gave you good advice.

For many us country old timers; we were always comfortable with guns. Guns were simply tools like knives, chainsaws or cars. They demanded respect and you had to know their limitations. You misuse anything and it can kill you. Do you remember the woman that died from drinking too much water?

I had an uncle that was a gunsmith. Instead of board games; he gave me Lugers, Mousers and Brownings to put back together. That was about 57 years ago.

Always treat any weapon as if it is loaded. Never point your weapon at anybody at anytime - unless in mortal danger. Training and familiarization go a long way. Learn the laws of your state. And good luck with your new weapon.
Well, thank you for the well wishes. This may seem odd to some of you, but I am really not excited. I view my purchase as a form of self-defense I hope I never have to use. It's sort of like insurance. You know you have to have it, but it's not much fun to pay the bill. Of course, I haven't even started so maybe I'll like it. I think my nerves are just shot and nothing would excite me at this point. I didn't sleep at all last night so I will have to sleep at some point today, but again another day may slip by that I do not go to the range.

Trust me, I am very careful about things. I check the locks on my doors at night at least twice and put those wooden dowels in for good measure, so I do have a lot of respect for safety concerns. Oh, and I was googling on state laws last night but will still take a class in it as I learn best in a classroom setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting