Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:33 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Just consider one thing - place oven cleaner/wasp spray around as "defensive weapons", and in some jurisdictions YOU can well end up being the one facing charges for disfiguring/blinding someone.
ACTUALLY if,IF, they are attacking you you can use anythng. I wouldn't worry about any charges. If that were the case they'd get ya for using a handgun in self defence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Just consider one thing - place oven cleaner/wasp spray around as "defensive weapons", and in some jurisdictions YOU can well end up being the one facing charges for disfiguring/blinding someone.
No worse than shootin' somebody I'd reckon! I'd think the same principles of self defense would prevail. Maybe your talking about anti-gun/anti-self-defense jurisdictions like NJ, NY, Cali., Ill., etc ???????

Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Sorry BoxCar ... I hadn't read your post as we essentially posted the same thing.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Training and tactics are the key in surviving any attack. As someone said, just taking a gun to the gunrange and shooting at targets is not really training.
Drawing fast from a concealed or open carry position is only part of it. Concealed vs. open - strategic decisions in both. Concealed - the bad guy doesn't know you are armed. That's a key tactical advantage.
But it's much more than that - Since most gunfights occur within essentially mele distance you have to train for deflection, movement, falling back, crouching, etc. Also situational awareness is important (perhaps the most important). It's also OK to carry your chemical spray of choice as well (being aware that in some jurisdictions those are also consided concealed weapons), and use the handgun as the fallback weapon as needed. I personally carry a backup assisted opening knife I can open with one hand, totally useless except maybe as a last resort in a melee situation where I am disarmed.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Sorry BoxCar ... I hadn't read your post as we essentially posted the same thing.
Not a problem!! Great minds think alike

Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I take it OP doesn't know much about actual defensive handgun shootings.

Also, I hear that oven cleaner works pretty well as a deterrent if you get someone in the face with it.
No, the OP makes a good point. A pocket pistol is where it's at. People get guns that they can't conceal so they never have them on hand.

"The best gun for a gun fight is the one you have with you."

Old 01-13-2012, 09:21 PM

114 posts, read 101,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
So the pocket pistol is where it's at, for home defense. Why be so lazy as to not tote around a 15 oz, 6" long 9mm in a front pants pocket rig, ferchissakes? You are 10x more likely to not have that longarm when attacked at home than you are to have the pocket 9mm not suffice. 90% of the time, you don't have to hit anyone, just show the gun or fire a MISS, and they will flee. at least 3/4 of the remaing 10% of the time, one or more swiftly delivered 9mm hits to the chest suffices, too, especially if they are 100 gr CorBon PowRball loads.

You don't answer the door with the shotgun in hand, nor carry it around from room to room, or take out the garbage or the pets with it slung over your shoulder, nor have it in hand as you get the mail or the paper, or mow the lawn. Quit being silly and ASSUMING that you will have enough warning/time to go GET a gun, especially not something as hard to hide/secure as a longarm. Quit being so cheap and lazy as to not always ccw your pocket pistol. you might not even have the 1 second flat needed to get your hand in your pocket and draw, much less the 10 seconds or more needed to run and get a shotgun and come back.

If you DO have 10 seconds, why not just run up and twist off his head? that's very doable from 50 yds away, much less the sub 5 yds that will always be the case inside your home. :-) men do the 50 yd dash in 6-7 seconds, from a standing start, normal clothes, shoes and surfaces to run on. If you can't twist off his head in 3-4 seconds, I feel sorry for you. :-) The problem is, you will too-often have only 3/4 of ONE second in which to do something effective, or LUCK will be the main deteminant of the outcome, not your gear or your "skill", Everyone seems to hate thaat fact, cause they KNOW that they arint fast enough,and they also know that they aint going to work hard/long enough to get faster, either.
I'm not sure what you are getting at either? I practice shooting handguns at least 200 rounds per week. This shooting is anywhere from normal range target practice to outdoor combat course runs and shooting. Strong hand, weak hand, on my back, on my stomach, shooting in and from cover, reloading magazines with one arm disabled (use your knee socket to hold the mag) etc. We shoot steel plates. We shoot paper. We shoot milk jugs filled with water. We shoot ballons. Anything we can think of to make it more real. Drawing from the holster. Trigger control and dryfiring exercises. You name it. No one is taking me alive!! That's for damn sure! Boyz in da hood beware! You just picked the wrong guys to fluff with!!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 PM

My last double feed... rack, clear, unload, reload and FIRE malfunction drill was timed at 6.8 seconds! FYI

Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 PM

Nothing says "keep that rusted up, never cleaned, never practiced with, STOLEN Jenning J-22 P.O.S. in your pocket and get the hell away from me gangbangers"... like a guy who practices weekly and with one of these! You MIGHT live to tell the tale????? CLUB TIMER III - Brownells
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting